Buying a big freezer

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Gelsemium • Mar 20, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you think that buying a big freezer is a good investment? Considering we have the space for it, it can serve to store bigger amounts of food we buy on promotions or at cheaper prices and also to store frozen meals saving up time. Do you think it’s worth it?

2. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    We bought a deep freezer about a year ago and we use it a lot, we fill it to the brim with frozen stuff every few months and we are actually saving some money buying frozen food in advance. I would only suggest buying one if you have the room in your house to accommodate it. Luckily we have two big sheds in the gardens, one is used as a gym and the other has our tumble dryer and deep freezer in it.

3. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Yes, unless we have big space a deep freezer is a no-go, even so thanks for the feedback, nothing like hearing from someone that actually has one and is saving money. I think that both money and time are saved because the more you have frozen, the less times you need to go shopping.

4. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    So in a way, the deep freezer can be seen as an investment, not a purchase.
    You spend the money to buy it but end up saving more on the long run from taking advantage of promotions.
    Sadly I don't have the room for it but I'll keep it in mind for when I move to a larger house.

5. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Yep, that's true. I see many of the things I buy and do as investments, for example, I am planning to invest on a storage place so that I can keep my bikes and other stuff that is packing my house, who knows I might even have space for a deep freezer!

6. Eagle910

Eagle910Active Member

Threads:
    I do not think so. I think a regular freezer is good enough. In my experience storing a lot of meat is not a good idea, because meat spoils very fast. It is better to buy meat in small quantities.

7. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think if you live remote and can't get into town every day, it's a really good idea. Personally I don't need a big freezer as I am always buying fresh things, and for the few things that I need a freezer for, the compartment in my fridge is big enough. If you like to buy frozen food when it's on special, it's a good idea to invest in a big freezer, although I don't know if your electricity bill won't go up.

8. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I once used $260 worth of coupons in one trip and filled the chest freezer at my old apartment with food. Now that I live in a different building and have a normal sized freezer, I can't use as many coupons on frozen food because I have nowhere to store it. If you're a couponer and you have room for a chest freezer, you should consider it because you'll need a place to store ll those great deals you get on frozen stuff.

9. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    I really want to buy one, and yes, I think it is a good investment. It makes it possible to stockpile more items from sales, coupons and bulk buys. You can find them used a lot for a good price, and a lot of times they are in good condition; the person just wants to get it out of the way because they are bulky.

10. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Man, that's an amazing testimony! Where have you found $260 worth of coupons? Sometimes it's true, there are amazing promotions that we can't take advantage of because we don't have the space to keep the things, especially frozen items. I don't think I've ever had that many money in coupons!!

11. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I absolutely do, I wish I had the space for it.

We have a small (dorm sized) deep freezer currently sitting in our laundry room. I bought it one year that I had a baby and a ton of extra breastmilk I wanted to keep frozen. It was totally necessary.

Now though, I love having it for stocking up on meat and cheese when they go on sale. If I had the space for a bigger on (like in the garage) I'd get one and start buying buying grassed beef by the quarter of a cow (which, around here comes out to about $4 a pound for all cuts).

Two goals I have for the next five years are to grow a very large garden, create a root cellar and pantry for self-canned fruits and veggies, and have a deep freezer for meat and other seasonal produce.

12. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I wish I could have a garden too, my kids would love that, sometimes they drive me crazy playing inside the house!! As for the deep freezer so I see it's a really good situation, we can just take advantage of the promotions and keep the food in the cold, I wish I could have one now lol.