Buying a house - what do y'all think of Central Air

Discussion in Heating started by jtucci21 • Jan 16, 2014.

1. jtucci21

jtucci21Member

Threads:
    I'm looking at buying a 1,900 sq ft two story home with Central Air, but I've only had gas or baseboard electric. I would only run it during the winter, but I'm not sure what to expect to pay keeping it around 60 degrees. I'm in Philadelphia so it usually doesn't get brutally cold.

for temperature trends. How much do you think it would cost? Is there any way for me to calculate this?

2. 4justice

4justiceNew Member

Threads:
    Honestly, if you can do central air, do it. Aside from the "more modern" thing, it looks better for your house to have that rather than heaters in every room or air conditioners hanging in your window. But as for the cost, that will vary from state to state. You're in Philly, a major city. So you might have to pay a bit higher than normal.

3. Plinko

PlinkoMember

Threads:
    I'm sorry to sound so ignorant, but if you don't have central air, what do you use? Do you have swamp coolers? Or do you just use ceiling fans? Forgive my ignorance please. I am in Arizona, where central air is almost more important than running water, lol.

4. GottDeals

GottDealsNew Member

Threads:
    Central air is always going to cost more compared to window units or room by room units (unless you have a large family). Regarding the central air, it is 'so' easy to get a leak in your duct work not to mention you are heating areas that you aren't always going to be in, even if you "close the vent". I can't say how it compares to "baseboard electric" sense I've never had that.

But if there is only one or two people in your family, of if the other ones aren't in the house most of the time. Then I recommend just heating the room that you are in and having a few blankets to sleep under.

5. Francy

FrancyMember

Threads:
    I love our central air. It is a complete life saver in the summer months. I'm not sure how costly electricity runs in your part of the states, but where I come from it's not too bad. It does get really hot here and the central air is absolutely essential. I can't imagine not having it!