Buying a Laptop as a Present

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Cyrup • Oct 4, 2012.

1. Cyrup

CyrupMember

Threads:
    Hey there.

This Christmas I'm looking to buy my Mum a laptop.
    She currently has a really old Desktop that (legit) takes 10 minutes to turn on. Google takes about 4 minutes to load properly, etc.
    Basically, it's slow.

So, I wanted to know what your suggestions are?
    I am looking for something in the $500-$800 price range. Maybe a little out of it, but that's pushing it. Cheaper if possible.

She mostly uses programs such as Word & Internet Explorer. Really, her computer use isn't going to beyond that of the average user (Internet browsing, etc).
    However, I'm a Mac person & I'm looking to buy her a PC, so I'm not quite sure what to go for.
    It doesn't need to be a super computer, but something that is not slow would be very helpful. 4GB RAM, intel duo i5, or something.

Suggestions? :)

Thanks!

2. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    $800 worth laptop will eventually slow too. but as long as she just use for word processor and surf it will be fine.

Why not just install an new operating system for her computer which cal run faster in old computer. There are Linux OS that works faster in old computer. She don't need to learn well on Linux, they're easy to use just like windows. And buy your mum a simple jewelry instead.

3. BarryLejieg

BarryLejiegNew Member

Threads:
    I do not agree with the member above that the laptops within that price range are slow, for basic needs you can find great laptops for that price. I suggest you look over on the internet, especially in hot deal website. For example if you buy this one today, you can get it at a crazy low price and it is a great deal:

(Offer only available at 04.10.2012)

But, you can still find a good laptop even if there are no hot deals on laptops, here's what I found within a minute of searching in Google:

4. techbeast34

techbeast34Member

Threads:
    If your mum isn't a heavy PC user, like you said, Internet Browsing and Word Processing, get her a Chrome Book. They're $249, and they're for the people who don't do much on computers, or spend most of their time on the web. The Chrome Book is basically a web browser (Google Chrome) as its OS, so it's fast, light, and very secure. Your mum can create a Google account (if she doesn't already have one), and then she can just use that wherever she goes. It would be a great gift for your mum. Also, if you want her to stay connected all the time, some Chrome Books come with 3G capability, allowing her to use it almost anywhere.

5. vest007

vest007Member

Threads:
    Check out the VAIO T Series Ultrabook! Good looking, and at the same time quite affordable.

[​IMG]