Buying a Laptop not as easy as it Sounds.

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by pafjlh • Jan 15, 2015.

1. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Last year I purchased a new laptop to replace the one I had for five years. I have to say this wasn't as easy as it seemed. I knew that I wanted a laptop with a Windows 7 running system because one of the main reasons I was getting the new laptop was because my previous one had Windows XP on it and this running system was becoming obsolete.

Well anyway, I wanted to buy the laptop online at Amazon. I must of looked at dozens if not hundred of laptops before I found the one that gave me what I wanted, and was the price I wanted. Then there was trying to find out about the seller. After all, when doing business out on a website like Amazon or eBay you want to be sure you get someone who has a good reputation out there. Then I had to decide to actually go through with the purchase. Believe me, it wasn't that easy as I thought it would be. The funny thing is I didn't recall it being that difficult to decide when I bought the previous system but at that time I was dealing with a crashed hard drive and had no computer at all, so I was ready to settle for anything that was suitable enough to get me back online.

2. LitoLawless

LitoLawlessActive Member

Threads:
    I have to agree with you when you say that buying a laptop is not easy. The laptop will eventually become an extension of you, so you want to make sure that you have the best one as well as one that you like aesthetically. I remember I was shopping around for months before I bought my first laptop. I'm currently in the process of buying a laptop right now and I think I've settled on the newer Chromebooks.

3. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    I got my first and only laptop to this day as a gift from my stepfather, who is a computer technician. It has suffered many ill times, and is now being quite the pain -- the (second) battery is completely dead, I keep getting blue screen errors, my hard drive is too full, my system is too slow... And I cannot bring myself to buy a new one because there are so many choices for the category of prices! I spent days and days trying to find the right graphic tablet for myself, a laptop would demand weeks and weeks of hesitation on my part!

That being said, they do say that sometimes, a small difference in price is not worth the hours of anguish trying to find the best deal. Time is money and all.

4. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Amazon isn't the best site for buying a computer, unless you know exactly what you want. Far too often you'll have trouble sifting through all of the laptops that you don't care about. Sites like Newegg and TigerDirect offer better interfaces for searching for laptops and desktops. You'll find more effective filters and options for finding the laptops that meet your exact needs and specifications. Amazon might offer a great price, if you find the appropriate laptop, but getting to that point can be quite difficult.

5. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's not. My laptop sucks so I could use a new one. I want to get an Apple laptop. I know I said that Apple computers aren't worth the money and I still stand by that but that's why I'm going to get a used one. I've never had one before so I want to get one for the experience. I just don't know if going for the cheapest one on Amazon is okay but it's taking me a long time to even save up for the used one. There are too many models of even that. It's confusing.

6. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not too sure about laptops on Amazon, I'd rather buy it brand new from a brand which I trust. For performance laptops I would recommend iBUYPOWER, it offers plenty of customization options for a very reasonable price to performance ratio.

7. tournique

tourniqueActive Member

Threads:
    I'm currently scouting for a laptop as well. The process is very time consuming and so far I haven't found anything that I would buy. The prices are extreme in some cases and in other cases the laptop itself is pretty outdated. And come to think about it, a desktop pc is much cheaper to build and maintain than a laptop.

8. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    Well, whenever you are buying a new computer or laptop. You have to buy one that is for what you specifically need. If you want one that you can primarily play games on then you have to do a ton of research to minimize your cost. If you are just a light user that needs it to browse the internet and other personal needs. Then you can easily find a laptop under $300 that will perform well for your needs.

9. eagletal88

eagletal88Active Member

Threads:
    I agree that buying a laptop can be a difficult experience. I had a desktop with Windows 7, but I had to sell it. I always liked Windows 7, so when looking through laptops late last year, I couldn't find many good options that still came with Windows 7 factory installed. Finally I gave up and just bought a Acer with Windows 8.1. It was difficult to use and didn't seem too user friendly. Now 4 months later and I still don't like Windows 8. I wish they wouldn't change the operating systems so much!

10. mizrael

mizraelMember

Threads:
    It's a good idea to do your research on the Internet before you go ahead and purchase a new laptop, if you're buying a used one off the Internet, you might be putting yourself at risk especially if you don't know what you're looking for, you need to take into consideration your storage space, the amount of ram in your computer, if it's Wi-Fi capable. For the most part buying a laptop from a reputable stores such as Best Buy, Staples or the future shop, you can't go wrong, it will come with a 90 day warranty and the manufacturer's warranty if anything goes wrong. And it's nice to talk to a sales rap about the product that you are purchasing.

11. AngelicDevilTel

AngelicDevilTelActive Member

Threads:
    Its even difficult to go into a store and decide what laptop to purchase, there is just so much sensory overload when you go into the store.
    What specifications do you want?
    What size do you want?
    What brand do you want?
    2 in 1, Laptop, Notebook, Netbook, or Chromebook?
    What operating system should it have?

I can't tell you how difficult it was to choose the one I have now, it was the closest to what I wanted but wasn't exactly what I wanted. Wasn't the best purchase I have ever made though, it has broken down twice since I bought it. Just goes to show you can do all the research in the world and still get a lemon.