Buying A Linux Computer

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by DrRipley • Nov 11, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I saw a computer being sold for a low price today and I was surprised to see the significant discount for the specs, but upon closer inspection I realized it was partly because they did not offer Windows with it and instead they have opted to install Linux on it as an OS. I'm now thinking about buying it because it's just a little over $200 for the CPU but I'm worried I won't get the programs I need it for so I thought I'd ask you guys first and maybe hear from someone who has more experience with Linux.

I'm planning on using it for graphic design and a bit of gaming so I'm hoping I could get the software counterparts of Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and After Effects, as well as hopefully playing some games on Steam.

What do you guys think? Is purchasing a Linux computer worth it or should I just spend a bit extra and get a Windows computer instead?

2. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A Linux machine will not work for you. You can set up a virtual Windows machine on the system to run those programs. Most of the major software programs haven't embraced Linux. I remember reading somewhere online that Adobe is tailoring Photoshop for Chrome OS (Chromebooks) because of its popularity with students. Otherwise you're out of luck and will have to deal with open source versions of the programs you want to use.

3. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I do not think a Linux machine will be really useful for you. I think it is best to buy a Windows laptop rather than the links. Most of the programs are never compatible with linux and you need to use a different version of the programs to be able to use in Linux.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Linux is not popular for a reason, and that reason is because it's not compatible with most software in the market. Most software are tailored for Windows, so if you're gonna use it for gaming and Photoshop, then you're better off using a more popular and compatible Windows pc. I myself am only considering Linux if it will make me immune to keyloggers.

5. crazyman1090

crazyman1090Member

Threads:
    The other people in the thread have basically answered your question. There is really no point in getting a Linux computer, especially if you want to get into something such as graphics design. You will not be able to do graphics designing well on a Linux computer, period. Windows OS is way too established, and it's all about the profit. No one uses Linux except for really tech-savvy people; thus, there is very little software designed to run on Linux. Stick with a Windows computer.