Buying A New Computer

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Corzhens • May 25, 2016.

1. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We are in the process of buying a new desktop but my husband is having second thoughts because all of the quotations sent to us did not include the monitor. For 28k pesos without monitor, that would almost be equivalent to the cost of a laptop. So it seems like we are going back to the drawing board - laptop vs laptop - because of the slight price difference.

I have a laptop that I use in the office and an old desktop at home. So what do you think is the best option?

2. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, if for whatever reason, you want to upgrade a laptop, it is usually difficult to do so. So laptops can be annoying like that, and they can be very expensive, whereas you have a lot more freedom with a desktop, and they are often cheaper if you know how and where to look - or you could buy the parts and put a hard drive together yourself. As far as the monitor, if you already have a smart tv, you could use that for the monitor.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Many lap tops have a short life span. So though you may be saving some money initially in the long run, you'll probably need to get the laptop replaced sooner. So I'd suggest that you buy the computer though it might be slightly expensive and get a cheap monitor. Used could do to since monitors can be used for ages.

A friend has CRT monitor that has been used for like 20 years :)

4. DreekLass

Threads:
    There are many monitors in our house, some of which are smart television screens which can be used for computer monitors. Of course, if other people use that television regularly, then it is not really wise to allocate it as the monitor that is going to be used for your computer. My laptop has last me in excess of eight years now, and still going strong, and we have had accidents along the way. But maybe I was just lucky. I don't know how they are making them these days.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Desktops are more durable than laptops, and they are more cheaper plus they are easier to replace too when it comes to parts, so I think that you are better off buying that desktop PC. Brand new monitors are only P4,000 up, so it's not that expensive. Also, laptops tend to overheat while desktops don't.

6. DreekLass

Threads:
    You make some good points, especially about the overheating aspect of laptops, and the price of them compared to desktop computers. I have a wooden board to combat the laptop overheating. You just place it beneath the laptop when you know you are going to be using it for long periods of time, and the laptop is able to 'breathe' better, causing less over heating. I think I got it for £15.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @DreekLass@DreekLass, True, that's why I don't really get interested in buying a laptop. I don't like having to always plug it in to charge it, and to endure it overheating. You can also own a 2nd hand desktop PC for $50 to $100, although they usually don't come with a DVD-rom.

8. DreekLass

Threads:
    Who needs a DVD rom when one can just download movies, or install virtual drivers to play those iso files? Lol. My mother has a laptop that she paid about £200 for and it has no dvd rom, which I thought was a bit of a rip off. It is an Acer laptop. I prefer using laptops, but I just wish that they were as capable as desktops.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @DreekLass@DreekLass, I had an experience where the Blue Ray that I bought can't be read by the DVD player, so I had to play it on the PC. So I think a DVD-ROM is handy when you buy pirated discs. Also, I don't know how to reinstall Windows using a USB flash drive, so a DVD-ROM is needed.

10. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    A desktop is easier to upgrade than a laptop. You have to simply replace the obsolete junk with new hardware. That also applies to laptops, but your upgrading possibilites are quite limited since you can only change Memory RAM, Hard driver and batteries as much. For GPU, motherboard and microprocessor is far better to just buy a brand new laptop.

My suggestion is to pick the hardware that suits you needs. Most people don't need more than 4gb or 16 gb (for gaming), a i5 processor and 1tb of Hard disk or a medium tier GPU.

11. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thank you for posting your opinion that gave me food for thought. We are still undecided until now although it is 90% laptop. The consideration is the space in the living room because another desktop will definitely crowd the working table.

For what kind of laptop, that is the pending issue. But definitely it would have a Windows 10 operating system so be up to date. And another evaluation is for the storage device because my husband is looking at the new technology of SSD (solid state drive) over the HDD (hard disk drive).

12. jonthai

jonthaiMember

Threads:
    Laptop is a really good choice when it comes to working reasons. A laptop can be moved from place to place while a desktop computer cant , thus making a laptop a good choice if you use your computer to work allot. Desktop computers , in my opinion , are more to use at home , for example , gaming and other programs that require a steady computer. It's up to you to choose , there are good laptops and bad laptops , and you should choose the specifications that most fit you.

13. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think a laptop can be a good alternative in this case but you should just do as much research as you can to buy the betts laptop at that price because most laptops nowadays have a very limited lifespan. Still, at that price you can probably buy one of the more premium ones so it might be a safer bet. Desktops can be a better purchase but I think that might also depend on the parts in it anyway. If it were me I'd just buy the laptop and be done with it, to be completely honest.