Buying a new PC, should I wait?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by BlackMage • Oct 19, 2013.

1. BlackMage

BlackMageNew Member

Threads:
    My current PC is a bit old, so I'm thinking about buying a new one really soon, since I'm having trouble playing the newest games in high quality. However, both Sony and Microsoft will be releasing their new consoles soon, and whenever this happens, it is followed by a big price drop of PC parts. Will this be the case now? Should I wait for a couple of months or should I just buy a new PC right now?

2. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you can wait, then why not? The next generation consoles will be released in the middle of November anyway. That's only a month away. If the price decrease in PC parts happens as you say it would and the drop is significant, then it would be a better idea just to wait. But if you can't help it and you really need to play a game so badly, then go ahead and get a new one. :D

3. krab

krabNew Member

Threads:
    Pretty much, but I don't believe PC parts simply 'drop' because of huge console releases; when the Wii, XBOX 360, and PS3 came out, I do not remember any big instances where any specific part simply fell sharply in price; what I would personally do is find out how much you're willing to spend, and wait till a big sale comes out for a graphics card and CPU upgrade; you can salvage the rest really, since you say you can play games on medium at this point.

4. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No point in waiting. The prices won't drop that much, and definitely not because of console launches; if you can pay for the PC now, go for it, especially with Black Friday/X-mas/post-X-mas sales going on. With this mindset you would end up waiting forever. :)

5. rossonomous

rossonomousActive Member

Threads:
    Console releases will not really effect PC component prices. You might as well get the most up-to-date technology with a PC now and then upgrade in 2-3 years time.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'd at least wait until Christmas season. All prices tend to drop around Christmas, and even though I'm not entirely sure how the prices of computer parts behaves on this season, I'd say it's at least worth waiting for to look into. One or two months of wait isn't that long, personally, but if you can't wait, I doubt the savings will be significant enough to wait anyway. Either decision would be a good move, in my opinion, granted you make smart purchases.

7. Kwizkey

KwizkeyNew Member

Threads:
    There are many older PC parts that have fallen in price due to the newest generation release. These parts are often good enough to play games that will come out in the next year so don't feel that you need to buy the newest or top of the range. Find some parts, research them and you should be able to make an mid-high range PC for £500-£700 depending on what you're after.

8. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's not always true either. A lot of products on the market, including hardware, tends to go up in price come holidays. Not all of it and not all the time, but I wouldn't count on a discount.

9. themarting

themartingActive Member

Threads:
    In the spirit of "friends dont let friends pay full" Why not BUILD your pc? youll get more hardware for the money, will be able to build it EXACTLY to your specs, will know EXACTLY what parts are in it. You'll also get a MUCH cheaper copy of windows WITHOUT the bloatware that PC vendors load on their systems.

Lastly, youll get the satisfaction of knowing that:
    a) you built your own computer
    b) you spent alot less than if you had just gone into best buy and picked one out

10. orz

orzActive Member

Threads:
    AMD just released a new range of GPUs, depending on how much money you have it might or might not be a good idea to wait for the R290X but apart from that now is as good a time as any.

11. fancy

fancyMember

Threads:
    I also think like you do. For instance I was about to buy the current notebook I own by September last year but I definitely decided to keep it aside as my December project. By then it was going for about $1500 but I personally bought it at $900. I think its during December that products tend to have lower prices.

12. BlackMage

BlackMageNew Member

Threads:
    I would like to thank everyone for the amazing feedback, I didn't expect so many replies and I'm glad that so many people shared their opinion.
    First of all, themarting, I will certainly build my own pc, I have done that many times before, I am aware of all the benefits of doing that, and I highly suggest everyone to do it. It's not that hard, there are lots of helpful articles/videos out there that will make the proccess a lot easier.
    I have decided to wait for 30-40 days, and during that time I will closely monitor the prices of certain pc parts, just for the fun of it. I really want to check if my assumptions turn out to be correct, and if I notice any price drops during that period, I will post the results here, so anyone can see for themselves.

13. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Where are you gonna get your hardware? Newegg?

14. themarting

themartingActive Member

Threads:
    I would recommend staying away from tiger direct if anything. They have store locations that prominently display "TigerDirect.com" all over their walls windows buildings signage etc. without any mention of being privately owned. They are however, a totally seperate entity that will not accept gift cards sold at the website. To make that even worse, the prices in the store are sometimes a bit lower, but the online department will not price match the store, even though the store will price match the website.

The worst part? The store was willing to price match an amazon price on an SSD for me, no problem. When I called in to the websites price match page they said "no, its below our cost". For the heck of it i did this with multiple items, some only 5 dollars less than the price displayed on their website. The excuse was always,"its below our cost"

15. BlackMage

BlackMageNew Member

Threads:
    Yup, I haven't had any problems with Newegg before, and it's probably the best out there.
    That Tiger Direct thing sounds horrible, thanks for the tip, themarting.

16. mareebaybay

mareebaybayActive Member

Threads:
    You should probably wait until you are certain you are getting better deals. I wouldn't jump into anything if I am not sure it is what is best for me. I recommend just being patient and waiting it out. There is certain to be deals on sites such as Amazon or Overstock. I also recommend checking eBay around Black Friday time, because you will be seeing tons of deals on there as well.

17. RotBaron

RotBaronNew Member

Threads:
    I don't think the release of new consoles should affect your decision much. That is unless you are willing to buy a console instead. I think you should wait until closer to the holiday season, though. Especially around Black Friday where you'll see a lot of deals online and in-store. DO check out Newegg but always price match.

18. jeanwatson

jeanwatsonNew Member

Threads:
    If you can wait for a little while more, wait until the Christmas season sale. The price difference for the same item between now and then would be so great that you can buy another gadget with the saved money, imho. Also, then you would have option to choose between the presently available model or the next-generation new models that are usually presented during that time. People also tend to sell their equipment during that time and buy newly released next-gen models, and so one might get a good second-hand equipment, working as great as new, for a bargain price.

19. rossonomous

rossonomousActive Member

Threads:
    If you signed up to a few newsletters for sites that supply PC components then you would realise that they have great offers all year round. Christmas period does not really affect the component market that much.

20. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What is the relevance of a price drop in PC parts if you want to buy a PC? You can certainly build a PC for less than the cost of buying a new one but you said you want to buy a new PC, not build your own...