Buying A Treadmill

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by valedevento • Jan 28, 2016.

1. valedevento

valedeventoNew Member

Threads:
    I am thinking of buying a treadmill to use at home. I love to go jogging outside ,but where I currently live there is not a lot of opportunity close by. I would have to drive the car to a track and that doesn't happen very often. We live close to a busy road and I hate running there. I was thinking about buying a treadmill so I can jog in the living room :) and I don't have to worry about the weather. Does anybody have experience using a treadmill at home? Do you actually use it often? Any recommendations on brands or things I need to be aware of? Thanks.

2. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    I hate to say this - but as its a well known fact - that most people who own home treadmills will tell you - they never use them - which is possibly why there are always so many for sale.

The first and most important aspect here - is to be absolutely 100 % sure that you would actually use it once you got it - particularly as - not only are they a considerably large monetary investment that more often than not - also take up a huge amount of space - but using a treadmill at home is a very, very different experience from running/walking outside or even using one at the gym - with one of the major differences being - that you'll be looking at the exact same view each and every time you use it.

That said I have to admit that I'm chuckling somewhat on the “ being absolutely 100% sure “ bit - as that is exactly how my husband felt some 8 years ago - in fact so convincingly - that after months of resisting his persuasive reasons why it would be so beneficial for him to have a treadmill - I finally gave in and agreed to him buying the high end gym quality treadmill that he'd been yearning for - and guess what - the novelty wore off way quicker than I could ever have imagined - as apart from being used twice, just after the initial installation - it has - rather annoyingly - sat there motionless ever since.

However - if you do really feel that buying one would be beneficial - my best advice would be - not only to go for the best affordable quality - after fully researching which makes and models would be best suited to your intended use - but rather than buy new - to look at buying second hand - especially as there is a monumental amount of choice there - in all price ranges - with the added bonus that the majority are almost always - hardly used.

3. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had a treadmill when I was younger and right when I first got it (well, my mom got it for me), I used it almost every day. But as time passed by I started using it less and less until it only served as a hanger for clothing for me!

My mom decided to sell it, which was probably a good idea at that point. Not that this happens to everyone, but the majority of people starts slacking after a while. It takes control and determination. Especially when it’s at home, you tend to prefer the couch and bed than the treadmill!

4. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    It depends whether you're likely to use it or not. A lot of people buy them because they want to get into exercise, but because they're not used to it, they just never bother to use it. However, if you use the gym every day, and you want to buy a treadmill to save time and money, then it might work well for you. So you have to think about your personal situation, but make sure you do everything you can to be realistic and know what will work for you.

5. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree.. be super sure you'll use it enough to justify the cost lol. I bought one a long time ago and I rarely used it. I find them so boring, it was more a chore than anything. It did help to have something to do while I used it though.. things that would hold my attention, like a movie or the internet or something. Not even music was enough to keep me interested in walking on the spot for more than a few minutes.. bored to tears lol. If you keep at it and you can't get moving in any other way, than yes, I think it's good to have. Otherwise, ANY movement outside of twitching in your seat will be good for you.. I'd likely go for anything free before committing to spending that much on something that steals space more than it contributes to health. But again, if used regularly, you're good to go.

6. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Well when it comes to saving money I would have to say that a treadmill really is not your best option. It is pretty simple for me, why spend so much on a machine that is meant to mimic running when I can just go running on my own for free. Of course I understand that convenience and weather are big factors for a lot of people, so certainly that plays a role, but just make sure that it is an investment that will be worth it for you.

7. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would suggest shopping around for a used treadmill that's still in good condition first, to make sure it's something you like and will use regularly. Since most people buy them only to quickly turn them into dust collectors, you should be able to score one that's like new and get it for a good price. Then, if you really love it and use it all the time, you could always consider investing in an upgraded model if you really feel the need. Just a thought.

8. Amanda Simon

Amanda SimonMember

Threads:
    Buying treadmill is good idea, because in winters you can't go outside. So it is better to buy treadmill.

9. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I have a treadmill, which I can probably declare, is now a museum piece. I must admit it has never been extensively used, only once in a while. This is a situation which is true with many persons, the machine soon becomes parked like an item in a storage facility. The utilisation rate of the treadmill at the gym is way above that at home, because the motivation level at the is higher - the trainer egging you on, wanting to see the results for the fees you have paid, and comparing results with other persons.

10. artyarson

artyarsonActive Member

Threads:
    I disagree. You definitely can. You just have to find yourself a right and well-suitable clothes and footwear. It also depends on the weather. We can't deny this, I agree. However, the most part of winter is not anywhere cold. Severely cold, I mean. So, you just have to believe in this. If people can do winter sports, they can certainly do running.

11. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When my brother was diagnosed with diabetes, he bought a treadmill for his regular exercise. A treadmill is expensive but he has no choice because they were living on the 3rd floor of an apartment building. With my exercise routine, I also had wanted a treadmill before but come to think of it, I could do some jogging in our living room or even in the front yard. And to save us from that expense, my husband said that we just jog together during weekends. I have no time during weekdays anyway since I leave early for work.