Buying A Yurt

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Theo • Mar 11, 2015.

1. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Has anyone ever bought a yurt and put it together themselves? I like the idea of a yurt, but I'm not sure how long it would take to put up and whether it is easy and whether the cost is worth it versus a tent? Yurts can be luxury these days but tents are getting fancier too. I'm interested in how durable they are too.

Thanks.

2. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Wow...I had to go out and look that one up for myself. It appears there are some VERY nice yurts to be had. I would think they would be extremely durable from what I saw. Expensive, too. Are you thinking to live in the yurt? Or is it to be more like a summer house?

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it would be a good temporary home, but I am thinking of setting up my own retreat and having several yurts as accommodation as it would be cheaper and more flexible if I needed to move them around. They are a little harder to move than a tent, but better than knocking down a building or hut if you needed the land for something else.

4. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Theo, that sounds like a fun idea. My husband and I keep a fifth wheel camper on a piece of land we rent in an equestrian campsite not too far from where our house is. It's like a second home to us for most of the year.
    When we first started going out there one of our neighbors had a teepee set up. That was pretty neat. There was a lot more room in there than anyone would imagine and everyone who ever came to the camp had to sneak a peek inside the teepee. Fortunately, the guy didn't mind. He was rather proud of his teepee.
    It really was neat, but I would think a yurt would be even better. Way better, in fact.