Buying Alcohol Online?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by NicCris • Jun 26, 2015.

1. NicCris

NicCrisNew Member

Threads:
    Do you order alcohol online? It is cheaper to buy alcohol from internet vendors? I wonder if I might save some money this way.

2. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Interesting. This isn't something I'd thought of, but would probably never come into fruition. It'd be way too easy for someone underage to just use their mom's driver's license (which is how I would imagine you would have to purchase online) and buy it online. There'd be a great market for it obviously, but the big hurdle that would have to be overcome is how to prevent underage people from buying.

3. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    That's what I was thinking, the age thing is a huge deal breaker for online booze.
    Here in Ontario Canada alcohol sales are heavily legislated by the provincial government and I don't know if they would even allow it.
    It's an interesting idea though, I mean you already know the exact product your getting so going to a store really isn't necessary.

4. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    It hadn’t occurred to me, but from a quick Google it seems that it would indeed be really easy for someone who’s underage to purchase it online. Though apparently it hasn’t stopped anyone; there appear to be quite a few online vendors. I don’t drink anymore, but if I did, I bet the shipping would be way too cost-prohibitive and it would offset any potential savings as I’m in an inconvenient location.

5. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Everything online appears to be cheaper, or offer a better deal, than if you were to purchase from an actual in-store retailer. As far as alcohol goes, I'm not as big on it as I used to be. I have seen some particularly attractive looking alcohol items online over the years, but never felt compelled to order. Alcohol is an off the cuff thing for me. If I am in the shop and I suddenly feel like I want some, I might get some. But I'm not the kind of person to go out of my way to buy it, or order if on the internet.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Buying online most certainly is cheaper but you'll need to factor in the shipping costs. If you realize that you might be spending slightly more than you would if you got your liquor where you usually get it then what's the point in buying online unless you want to buy brands which aren't sold in your local liquor stores?

7. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You could save money if you buy in bulk for a party, but it depends if you are looking for quality of quantity. There are wine clubs and you but wine cheaper that way.

In the UK it's easy to add a bottle or case to your shopping in the supermarket, whereas in the US they make it so difficult to but even a bottle. Raising the age doesn't stop drinking, it just means people will find other ways to purchase it and online retailers as long as they have someone's ID they aren't going to care too much.

8. sbatz72

sbatz72Member

Threads:
    Wow, this is a first I have heard of buying alcohol on the Internet. I am going to have to look up some sites to do so. I think it would be very dangerous to sell alcohol on the Internet. I would think a lot of teens can have easier access to purchasing it on the Internet than to take the trouble to find a buyer to get it at the local liquor store.

9. rightct

rightctActive Member

Threads:
    Some occassional booze, yes. But if I buy more exclusivist drinks, then I make sure I firstly get a foretaste. I wouldn't want to have something that's just laying in my house because it's got a bad taste. Of course I'd eventually finish by drinking it gradually, but I wouldn't like it is all. :)

10. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think you can order hard liquor online, just stuff like beer and wine. I tried to see if I could do that years ago, here in Northeast Ohio, but it's illegal to ship hard liquor to people's home addresses. There were some rum's I wanted that are not sold in Ohio liquor stores and I couldn't get them shipped to me.

I don't know how they handle the underage thing - perhaps require the delivery person to ask for proof of ID or something like that. But as far as younger kids ordering the stuff on the internet - I can't imagine that being too big of an issue. If they are not old enough to drink it's more than likely they are living at home, and their parent's would probably get the package. Not to mention younger folks want their booze/beer now, not have to plan a week or two in advance to have it delivered via mail.

11. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Seems like a pretty good idea, but what happens if nobody is home? The delivery person just can't keep the package on their truck. Then there's the issue of having to train carriers to spot fake-ID's and take extra time out of their schedule to do so. And I doubt companies like UPS would want to do that. Sites would have to set up their own drivers to deliver the product, which starts to become really expensive.

Its a neat idea and would be great for trying beer that isn't sold in my area, but I just see too many issues for it to be plausible in practice.

12. Penny

PennyActive Member

Threads:
    Shipping is generally too expensive for it to be a money saver. I only buy alcohol online when it is part of a grocery order (Peapod) or something I cannot get locally via a service that has free shipping (e.g. Amazon).

Age is only a problem if you are underage. Any service that sell liquor online has a method for checking age by requesting ID at ordering or delivery.

13. Sue

SueActive Member

Threads:
    This is a very interesting idea. I have never heard of such a thing before and I, too, would be concerned about the underage who would be able to purchase alcohol online. They would have to request an ID at the time of delivery to verify the age of the buyer before they handed over the alcohol. I was quite surprised when I goggled it and seen how easy to was to purchase alcohol on line. I have never heard of such a thing before reading this post. I guess you do learn something new every day.

14. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I have done it before but it's usually the shipping cost that becomes an issue. Even with bulk shipping prices, it means paying a surcharge, so to speak, every time you want to buy liquor.

It IS a great way to get alcohols that you can't get locally, though.

15. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never found any significant savings to be had on buying alcohol online. In any case, there's an off-license (or liquor store) right around the corner from my house and it's prices are low (well, it is called Bargain Booze!).

16. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    I have never specifically bought only alcohol from an online vendor before. I generally just buy it from the corner shop. However, when I used to do my supermarket shopping online, I would often order alcohol as part of my shop. I would usually opt for wine or lager that was on offer at the time.