Buying Art

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Miaka_M • Jun 11, 2014.

1. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    How many of you buy art depicting one of your favourite characters or depicting just about anything that you like? The highest that I would most likely spend is about $100 honestly because I'm a student and funds are low. But how much would you spend? I saw that someone spent $1900 on a piece of Sailor Moon Fan art, amazing! :O

2. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I rarely buy art because I am not that interested in it. But when I do I prefer to buy from local art galleries that promote young talent. I haven't ever bought a piece of art that depicts a character I like, but if I was going to I can't imagine I would spend more than $100 or so on it.

3. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Although I like arts, I don't have means for them. I mean for now it's not practical for me to be art products. Besides, I won't just be able to maintain them. High quality art is expensive, and not cheap. So, it's best first for me to save. For now, buying art is not my priorities. I only have limited money for now. But if you have enough financial means, then it's art products are a good way to spend your extra money for.

4. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I don't buy art, I make them lol... Seriously, I don't because I can't afford it.

But I do create art (not painting). I've created several cross-stitched designs depicting my favorite themes and TV characters. I've got a kid Gokou (Dragonball Anime), Inuyasha, some dogs, birds and flowers. But up to now, I've never get to display any of them on my wall since I don't have the budget yet to get it framed. (so costly). :(

5. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like to support talented artists. So I tend to spend quite a bit on art that pleases me, knowing that my purchase is unique and has been created by someone who carefully thought about every step of her or his creation. There is so much involved. I can appreciate the time, skill and ability of an artist to convert an inner idea into something visible, not to mention all the failures. All the practice that it takes to make a "thing" just right.

6. Fauxpat

FauxpatMember

Threads:
    I would love to buy "famous" works of art, or art by well-known artists. Unfortunately, I've neither the money nor the room in my house at the moment. Not only that, but I'd end up treating it all with kid gloves anyway, sapping away whatever enjoyment the particular piece would've given me. I'll just stick with coffee table collections, for now.

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like art but I don't buy any. Maybe it's because I'm also kind of an artist myself and for that reason wouldn't spend money on anything when I could create it myself. I do 3D-modeling in my spare time and you can guess that when I render those images and print them they're very much on display in my living room.

8. Annabell

AnnabellActive Member

Threads:
    I've never spent that much on any art, but I do buy some every now and then when I find something which I really like, or which I think some of the kids will really like in their rooms. Honestly most of the art I buy is things that the children like. It's very helpful sometimes when we have children who aren't as comfortable as others. Gives them something peaceful to look at, and instills them with a sense of home.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never bought any kind of art, and I don't think I will do that because I would rather spend my money on something else, something more useful like an electronic item, like a very large LCD tv. Maybe if I win the lotto and I can afford to waste money, then I will definitely buy an expensive painting just so that it can affirm my "status upgrade", lol.

10. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    There is really artwork for everybody's budget out there and some of the pieces you could collect for investment as well. The real price of art though is what somebody is willing to pay for it-and of course they have the latest auction records for those and antique paintings as well. But you could get into the market at the lower end-and look for -up and coming artists as well and invest in them.

11. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I go to thrift shops I see some paintings that look really good, but I ride the bus so no way to carry it home, lol. I like art too, but just don't have the way to carry it home and taxis are way to expensive for me to carry it home. I like art, and always try to get to museums to see the latest shows they are premiering at the time. Lately I don't seem to have the time to go to museums though.

12. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    Honestly, I never know if I'm paying the correct amount when I decide to buy something that is considered art. :rolleyes: I find everything very subjective and I really wonder how those values are fixed. :confused:

13. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I don't buy what is traditionally known as art. Instead, it's mostly computer 3D models. The stuff usually doesn't cost a lot, but because I like it so much - the price often adds up. In that case, a good idea is to look for sales, discounts, and free models.