Buying Baby Clothes?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Denis Hard • Apr 25, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Babies grow very fast so it's always better to buy the cheapest baby clothes you could find be it on the net or in some store. Since most people know friends or relatives who might have baby clothes lying around in their houses, asking [relatives] for those clothes could save you money.

Some parents I've noticed who've had more than one kid don't even bother buying too many clothes. One of my neighbors whose first born was a girl, dressed her little boy [her second child] in the girls clothes :) Not bad.

What are some ways someone can save money on baby clothes?

2. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    I tell you what. I agree with "cheap" but to me, this doesn't mean buying the cheapest clothes made. It means finding the best brands on sale - usually in the off season. Even though babies and kids grow fast, it is not worth it (to me) to buy Target or Walmart clothes. For one thing, they shrink so much in the wash, the kid might only wear them once or twice. And for another thing, the wear out and look old very quickly.

I have four children, but I've been very frugal about buying good clothes at cheap prices. Osh Kosh and Carter's have really great coupons and deals going all the time. Pair these with clearance prices, and I can get brand new clothes for a fraction of the cost I could find them used at a consignment store. And when I buy nice things, they often last long enough for more than one child to make use of them.

Shoes, unfortunately, are another story. I always try to find sales, but I refuse to be cheap about shoes. I also refuse to re-use kids shoes if they are even slightly well worn.

3. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    This is going to sound gross to some people but I think buying baby clothes at garage sales (otherwise called tag, or yard sales) is acceptable. Here are my reasons why: All clothes whether new or store bought have to be washed. What guarantee do you have that a rat or other critter back in the store room wasn't crawling all over those clothes? Not to mention the endless hands that have touched them after wiping their faces or doing whatever else. Next, babies grow very fast. In the beginning years parents are excited to put any little outfit on them and then in 2 months they outgrow it. So if there are no noticeable stains, it is a great possibility they only wore the outfit once or twice - especially dress clothes. ('Onesies' and things like that are usually over used and would probably do better to buy new.) Lastly, the industry marks up baby clothes taking advantage of parents desire to give their child a good start in the world, or due to their joy in the new family addition. Most adult children would much rather have a few extra dollars put away in their college or wedding funds than have known they wore new Keens baby shoes for $50-$100.00 as opposed to little Tony's hand me downs which were $5.00, and he never even walked in them because he was only 4 months old.

4. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    Do you have a dd's Discount where you live? They mainly have them in larger cities. It is the store that Ross gives their clothes to and they are SO inexpensive. You can get some cute sets for $3 and some are even on clearance.

5. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Goodwill near me has some gently used designer baby clothes for low prices. Too bad they didn't build my local Goodwill superstore until my daughter was older. There are some brands there that I paid a lot for when my daughter was a baby.

6. wahmee

wahmeeMember

Threads:
    I bought stuff not too cheap but nor too expensive for my little girl. She grew pretty fast as most babies do, so I didn't want to waste them.

7. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Babies grow so fast and they really haven't got a clue whether they are dressed in second-hand clothes or not so I can see little point in buying new. As long as they are clean and smart then where's the problem?

It's better to buuy second hand now and save your money for when they start demanding things!

8. TalTBest

TalTBestNew Member

Threads:
    I don't think that the gender of the clothes is a matter for the baby or for the people around them. They are just kids, and they don't have to surrender the society's limitations.

9. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    We bought good quality, but mid-range priced clothes for our baby before he was born. We bought sets in plain and white color. We only bought a few items as they said babies grow fast. I love these clothes as they are super soft and light.

As my baby grew older, we bought new sets of clothes. This time we tried different stores. We have bought cheap clothes from the flea market. We made sure to buy soft fabric ones. We also bought more expensive ones just to compare.

You know what? They just have the same quality and softness. You just have to search for the right clothes. Many places sell baby clothes in our country that are quite cheap. Some even sell factory overruns.

But the clothes that we do not thrift on are the going out clothes. We buy higher quality ones. Of course we want our baby to look very adorable lol!

10. danielle davidson

danielle davidsonActive Member

Threads:
    I have to agree with the shopping online and asking relatives. I think that would be the smartest thing you could do. I'm sure that there would also be some second hand stores that you may be able to find some clothing at. I know it's hard buying full priced clothing because like you said, the babies grow so fast. Another thing that might work would be to check out Tag Sales. There is always something to be found at those.

11. tallulah

tallulahActive Member

Threads:
    I think it depends on how much the baby leaves the home. Some babies stay home all day until they start school around age 3 or 4. Some babies go to day care from 3 months old. Babies who have to be dressed up each morning need more clothes and babies who stay home don't need as much clothes.

12. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love to window shop, so when I go to Walmart, I look at almost every dept. I see at Walmart's children section which is almost half of the dept. store, so it's huge and they got lots of bargains. From shoes, to strollers, Walmart got it all...brand new and some are cheaper than thrift shop's prices. Thrift shops are another place for children's clothes. I agree relatives might just have some lying around so it's good to ask if you're close enough to ask for the free clothes from relatives, for free is the best price. :D

13. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    In my country there are Facebook groups dedicated to buying and selling of baby clothes, brand new and 2nd hand, so you can be assured that you will get such items at a low price. You can even haggle there if the vendor allows it. Try to search if there is such an FB group near your area.

14. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    I have a baby, therefore, I am always looking for the ways to save money on baby clothes. One easy way to save money is getting clothes from your relatives and friends. I have used baby clothes from my siblings. Another way to save money in baby clothes is learnig how to sew. If you know how to sew, you can enlarge small clothes or make new clothes from old clothes, or even stitch new clothes.

15. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    You have mentioned the important ways in which we can save money from buying baby clothes. My wife will deliver our second son in three weeks or so, but we do not need any clothes for the baby because all my relatives had a baby and they have all offered to give us all we need for a baby.
    We must buy only one costume to take our kid out from the hospital and that is all.

16. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I was fortunate enough that my little sister passed down her clothes to my daughter. I Still have many of her clothes she passed down to my baby girl that are still a bit big on her that she will use in the future. That was a big money saver as well as buying discounted clothing for her I always found in discount racks in almost all clothing stores I go to.

17. Keibah

KeibahActive Member

Threads:
    I think your child should still look the best but of course not going out of your way to do it. While growing up, I remember inheriting clothes from my brothers and sisters. My mom most of the time bought unisex clothing. We wore them every other day and the expensive ones were kept for special occasions. When we grew out of them, they were given out to friends and relatives just as we received some too. That to me is saving.

18. Mahi

MahiMember

Threads:
    There are numerous stores in online where you could get the best deal on kids clothing. As a child grows very fast so it's better not to invest more in there clothing buy cheap clothes or some clothes that you can avail a discount. Yaa, parents always want to give the best to there children but this is also a great way to give your child something which is worthful.

19. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I bought my son's baby clothes from a department store which offers a range of brands for baby clothing and accessories. I bought the ones in which he would be comfortable.and they were in the mid-price range. I don't think it's practical to buy designer or expensive baby clothes as they can be easily outgrown in one or two months. My sister who had a bigger baby would pass on whatever her son had outgrown and I was just happy to receive them as they still look good as new. That allowed me to save a lot on my baby's daily wear on the initial months when I had to spend on formula milk, diaper and other baby stuff.

20. JOHN MATTHEW

JOHN MATTHEWNew Member

Threads:
    I will suggest comparing prices online first. You might be having an idea of the cost at the nearest brick and mortar shop. So it is more likely you get a cheaper price online in comparison to the traditional shop.