Buying books at Goodwill

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by Heatherie • Mar 3, 2014.

1. Heatherie

HeatherieNew Member

Threads:
    I only shop for books at my local Goodwill store. Normally, paperbacks are $1 and hardcovers are only $2. BUT every week, they pick a color tag and that colored tag is 50% off store wide.

The $1 book is now .50 and the $2 book is only $1! After I am done reading them, I donate them back and get the tax write off to boot practically making every book free.

I have found everything from the full Twilight Series to Stephen King, Mary Higgins Clarke, you name it. You don't forgo quality literature for a lower price. An absolute no brainer if you ask me.

2. lavenderblue

lavenderblueMember

Threads:
    Wow, I didn't consider this. That makes buying books from Goodwill even better of a deal than I had imagined! One of my local Goodwills has surprisingly recent books and a generous assortment. I usually go to the library to get books but sometimes they're quite good and I'd like to own them, so second hand stores may be worth the while. Sometimes they have great cookbooks and textbooks in good condition.

3. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    I LOVE going to thrift stores for their books! They have the best bargains on books, and a surprisingly large selection. Especially best sellers! I think it's because some people buy best sellers since they're so popular, realize they don't like them, and donate them. They also probably receive them as gifts even though they already have a copy. When I'm in a thrift store, for whatever reason, I never leave without stopping by the books section. A used book is the same as a new book, in my opinion. The content doesn't change, so why pay full-price?

4. emilyrose93

emilyrose93Member

Threads:
    I totally agree! Books are always so cheap at thrift stores/op shops, almost always under $5 (and that's only for new releases). The only problem is if you're looking for something specific. You just know that if you're actually looking for something, it won't be there - Murphys Law! But if you just want to browse and find something new to read, you'll always have a good time looking there. I'm not sure if I would be able to write them off as tax, but it's still pretty cheap! I usually donate them back afterwards too. It's like the circle of life!

5. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    My sons and I have a weekly trip to the used-books store. I give them a budget of 1$ each, which is often the cost of two thin paperbacks or one newer paperback book. We love this weekly activity of ours and we always look forward to bring home something new to learn from. Sometimes unused back issues of magazines are also sold there. I go for craft magazines and the reference-type publications. These last us for many months of reading and rereading.

6. ladybug

ladybugMember

Threads:
    Whenever I can get something for a fraction of the price compared to retail I'm there! I think thrift stores like Goodwill and such are a great way to save money and I've found some fantastic bargains, especially on books including cook books and more. I check out the half price book stores where a person can find some pretty good bargains, too.

7. megshoe

megshoeMember

Threads:
    I'm a very frequent Good Will shopper, but I've never bought books from there, even though they're very cheaply priced. I always look, but they just never have anything that suits my taste. Great advice, though!