Buying Cheap

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by DanielleDavidson • Apr 22, 2016.

1. DanielleDavidson

DanielleDavidsonNew Member

Threads:
    Do you think that buying cheap brands like Elf and others are good? I'm kind of torn. I love Elf products, but they make me break out so bad. I can't use them anymore and now I pretty much can only use some pretty expensive stuff on my face. I wish that there was another alternative.

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Instead of giving up you could try some other brands and see if they'll be fine. If you have to buy the expensive ones then hunt for coupons so you never have to pay full price anytime you buy your beauty products.

That said, there's nothing wrong with buying cheap. It doesn't necessarily mean that they are low quality products you are buying.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think some products are just not suited to your skin, it's not about being cheap, it's about the materials in it. I think to find the most suitable product for you then you would have to try a whole lot of brands and stick with the ones that won't make your skin break out.

4. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I found that Walmart has very good prices for beauty products. If in doubt you can ask a clerk about prices or go their price checkers that they got in-store that you can scan. I like to put clear nail polish on my fingernail and found a very cheap one for just 1.01 at Walmart! Good luck. Some online research will help with your make up problems too just a quick check for reviews about your product will give you lots of info on a product-just takes time is all-good luck!

5. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've purchased some off brand cosmetics at Dollar Tree. Obviously, they are a dollar apiece, since everything there is a dollar, and I haven't had any issue with them making me break out, nor have I had other issues. I tend to have dry skin, and haven't had any acne in years, but I do have eczema, so if I'd experienced anything negative, I'd probably have thrown them out. You could try looking there, or at a store like Sally Beauty Supply. If you find something you want at Sally, you could sign up for a membership, which would help you save a little more money.

6. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    I'm a frugalista to the max, but there are a few things I will not buy just because they are cheap. Make up, hair-care, and shoes.

If you buy cheap brands, you get what you pay for.

That said, you can find really good deals on good brands and still save money. Watch the make up counters in department stores and buy when they are offering a good gift-with-purchase. Shop TJMaxx or JCPenny for good deals on hair care (and other personal items). Find a friend who is a hair dresser and have her take you to the whole sale stores where you can find name brand products in large quantities for wholesale prices.

You can save money without buying the cheap brands that leave you breaking out, looking dull, or smelling funny.

7. maxen57

maxen57Active Member

Threads:
    If Elf products are making life hard for you, it's really time to let them go. If you keep using them, they will eventually cause much harm to your skin. It's better to use a more expensive product because at least they won't be doing any damage. Some things are not it just because they're cheap. If a product easily breaks, you may have to buy another. If a product is causing you inconvenience, then you didn't get your money's worth. Much worse if the cheap cosmetics will eventually force you to take a trip to a dermatologist, it'll cost you more money.

8. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The cost of the product doesn't make you break out. I have used expensive products and have broken out. It looks like you are sensitive to some ingredients or something else maybe responsible. I use e.l.f and most items are high quality.

Do you want to know a secret? Most factories make the same products and just add different labels and packaging. People think by paying more they won't get a reaction, but it's not true. I used to work on a beauty counter and I used to see people returning things all of the time to premium brands.

9. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    It's obvious that the Elf brand is not compatible with you so you should stop using it.There may be other brands which may be cheap or expensive that will not bring you good results. The wise thing to do is to try to find out the types which would work well with you whether cheap or expensive.

10. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When it comes to beauty and health products, I am very particular. For me quality is more important than quantity. In other words, cheap beauty products ask for trouble, such as allergies or rashes. I've been buying all my body products from iherb since 6 years, and I can't praise that company enough. I completely trust in iherb. I love the fact that they carry many different brands that are very affordable. And all of their products come with a detailed description of the ingredients. Not to mention all their specials and rewards!

11. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I think it varies from person to person. Some people breakout with Elf or with Maybelline while others are fine with these brands. For me, some products in the line can make me breakout. Elf's face primer is particularly bad for me, it makes me breakout in these hive-like pimples. Maybelline's powdered products are also bad for me, they clog my pores and make me breakout like crazy.

However, other cheaper brands like Essence are great for me. I love the powder of this brand, the Mattifying one, it helps keep my oily skin at bay. Apart from that, it's very affordable as well and one pan can last a long, long time for me. Another cheap brand that I like is Sleek, their eyeshadows are very pigmented and has very low fallout. But the price of their eyeshadow palettes are quite cheaper as compared to Benefit.

I've used some cheaper makeups in our dollar store called "Daiso." And you know what? I love their lashes... For a dollar, they're very worth it and durable. Seriously, you won't find any difference from drugstore lashes.

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I go for cheap if I can. I think if it doesn't agree with you then it just doesn't and it mostly probably has not much to do with being cheap. My friends and I use cheap products all the time and the most we complain about is just a few minor qualms like the smell gets a bit irritating after a while but if it's causing our skin to breakout I think I'd stop and just look for some other cheap brands. It's fun to experiment anyway and with cheap products you wouldn't have to worry so much about wasting money if it turns out you don't like it that much. Also from time to time venturing out to the more expensive brands can be helpful as well since there will be some products where substitutes aren't the best choices.

13. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think I've ever used Elf products before.

For me, it really depends on what it is. I certainly wouldn't want to buy anything that made me break out. I'd spend all my savings on cleansers then, ha ha.

I am most particular when it comes to eye make up. My eyes are very sensitive, so I have to take care when choosing anything that goes on or around my eyes.

As for powder and blush and stuff, I'm not terribly particular. I currently have a drug store blusher by Cover Girl, simply because I loved the color. It's the perfect color for my skin tone.

I have some Clinique lipstick and Estee Lauder as well. I don't use lipstick often though. I prefer gloss, and I can get lip gloss cheap most anywhere.

I experiment, so I'm probably not the best one to judge by, I guess.

14. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I can use Elf concealers and matting powder, but then I stopped because they smell so bad! They smell terrible and I wouldn't want to put that on my body anymore. Just try to go natural! Have you ever bought natural brands?

15. Saundra Jackson

Saundra JacksonMember

Threads:
    I don't care how much my makeup cost, I mean .. cheap makeup can be good too.. One of my sun powders are actually from dollar store. and know what, I love it!
    So basically, if you like your 3 dollar eye mascara, buy it!

16. HealthAndVitality

HealthAndVitalityMember

Threads:
    I will not buy a cheap version of my make up, simply because it will not give me good results. It depends on what's important to you and if you can afford it without going into debt. General things like, toilet paper, kitchen roll, air freshener will not put me out of pocket, I keep it simple but when it comes to makeup, that is the only thing I spend money on and it has to the best.

17. Saundra Jackson

Saundra JacksonMember

Threads:
    Yeah, but example, Why to buy expensive foundation if there are may good drugstore foundations, like Rimmel or Maybelline. They do exactly the same work, sometimes even better.
    Just saying. Let everyone has their own opinion. ;)