Buying Cheese In Large Quantities

Discussion in Food & Drink started by DrRipley • May 16, 2015.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I tend to buy cheese at large quantities just because it is a fairly expensive product and I try to save where I can. I found that if I kept buying processed cheese frequently at small quantities it ends up costing me a lot whereas if I bought the larger packs I'm getting way more for just a little extra. I usually freeze them in small portions if I can or just use small amounts and put it back in the freezer each time just to prolong the lifespan as it keeps a lot longer that way. The only downside is that it doesn't work with all types of cheese since freezing and defrosting multiple times alters the texture of some types but for most regular ones I think this works pretty well. I just thought I'd share this small tip and also see if any of you out there do this too. Also I'd love to hear if you do any similar methods with any other products.

2. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    When I made quesadillas or grilled cheese sandwiches often, I would buy Tillamook cheese in a large block. These were $8-10 and about 4-5x times the size of of the one pound cheese block. While it saved money, I found that I can't eat that much real cheese, not a fan of the processed stuff.

3. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Cheese is not a costly item in our country besides most household prefer using home-made cheese so unless there is a special occasion or a party we never buy store/dairy cheese. Even if we buy store cheese for a special purpose we prefer to buy only what is needed for next two or three days. In fact that is true for all dairy products because our energy supply is so inconsistent that a single outage that could last for longer duration and spoil everything.

4. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    Cheese is a relatively expensive product in our place but we don't consume it often so that saves us a lot. When we do, I buy the 200-gram pack which we usually consume within two to three days after purchase. Buying cheese in even larger packs will only force us to consume cheese more often than we want. Buying cheese on demand and at regular size packs saves us some money and helps us avoid storage problems.