Buying Clothes From Overseas

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Denis Hard • Sep 28, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Clothes could be a lot cheaper in another country or continent. While I must admit it can be pretty risky buying clothes from overseas [sellers] odds are there some reputable stores which you can buy clothes from and if you are paying via Paypal you have the assurance that you'll be getting your money back if you don't get what you paid for they [the clothes] aren't of satisfactory quality.

Question: has anyone here tried buying clothes from overseas? If you haven't would you do it so you can save some money?

2. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Much as doing this may sound like a good thing - having done this myself quite some time ago admittedly and landed up paying way more than double the original price - even though shipping was free.

I would say to anyone thinking of doing this - because import duties, taxes and charges are not the responsibility of the seller and are therefore not included in the shipping cost and it is usually the buyer's responsibility to pay them - its always advisable to check the customs regulations of the country you live in - as well as the duties and taxes - which not only vary from country to country but also from point of entry - otherwise - even with free shipping - what you originally thought was a bargain - may well result in paying way, way more than the original non sale price of the goods and more - once the import duties and taxes have been added to the original price.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The only way I see you save money buying abroad are designer clothes that are marked down. Normal clothes like t-shirts and basic jeans are cheap everywhere. You don't need to buy from overseas unless it's a particular style or brand.

In the UK there is Primark which is so cheap, less than $3 for t-shirts and in the US there are multiple discount chains that sell cheap clothes. Forever 21 is so cheap and on sale (online too) you can get kitted out for very little.

4. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've bought lots of clothes online over the years but never anything from outside the UK. I don't want to incur huge postage costs if I need to return something, plus the whole returns process would take a lot longer. In any case, you can't really get any cheaper than Primark or the charity shop.

5. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I don't buy clothes directly from overseas because they are usually smaller than clothes for Americans. I love the cute fashions in Korea and Japan, but their 2X is like a small here. I wish I were super small and could fit into those clothes. They are super affordable!

6. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    I have never bought clothes oversees before. You do have to do your research to make sure the transaction is legit. I hate scams more than anything else. Then you have to think about why is so cheap? Is it because it's bootleg or damaged? That is what might worry me until I know I can trust the seller.

7. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't really bought clothes overseas for several reasons:

1. I prefer seeing the clothes and fitting them. My sizing is really different. Sometimes, I fit into a medium but sometimes I also fit in a large. It depends on the clothing material and stretch. So I really have to fit the clothes first before buying them.
    2. Scams really scare me. It's one thing to be scammed with money but what if the actual clothes do not fit my expectations? That is what really puts online shopping in a pedestal for me.
    3. Our village is difficult to find so the package needs to go to the postal office which requires a large tax before you can get your item.