Buying clothes from the supermarket?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by lucyarty • Jan 10, 2015.

1. lucyarty

lucyartyMember

Threads:
    We live near a big supermarket, which I can walk to in five minutes or so. So when we need new clothes fairly urgently, I often end up going there instead of waiting until I have the opportunity to get the bus into town (I don't drive). This is fine for things like children's underwear, socks, etc, when you can just get generic stuff and it doesn't really matter, but I don't really like having to buy shirts or trousers there because the range of styles isn't as good, and there are no changing rooms either so you just have to buy things hoping they fit and you won't have to return them later.
    Do you buy stuff at supermarkets? Which one/s? No doubt some are better than others.

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Clothes in the supermarket are generally okay and generic and well priced. In the UK it has become a trend for cheaper and good value fashion and basic as all supermarkets carry ranges for children, women and men. I have bought exercise wear, t-shirts, bags, shoes and things like a basic white shirt. They do the trick and many always have sale items.

In the US I have shopped in Target and they had some good things, but less choice but were good for things like socks. They do carry brands though which makes a difference and you can sometimes find a good bargain there.

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Our supermarket also sells clothes like everything from shirts to dresses or jeans and socks and there's even a changing room to try it on. I do buy some shirts front there sometimes because when there's a sale those clothes can go for very cheap but I usually don't try me on anymore before buying because I could just eye it and it's only very cheap anyway.

4. tulosai

tulosaiActive Member

Threads:
    I usually avoid buying clothes at the kinds of stores I think you're referring to (when I hear supermarket I think of food stores, and the food stores here don't sell clothes, but I think you are talking about Walmart, Target, and similar places).

I just find that both the fit and the quality are VERY low. Yes, I could buy a cheap t-shirt at Target, but it's not going to be serviceable 3 months later. However, if I had constraints like not being able to get to actual clothing or thrift stores, I might reconsider slightly. Luckily (and unfortunately for my wallet at times) I have no problem getting to the shops.

5. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    I would by things from the supermarket if I thought they would fit me. But being a plus sized gal, this is easier said than done. Maybe something like socks would be okay, but I get the feeling that even they would run a little on the small side. Supermarkets have come a long way, so who knows? Maybe the trend for bigger sizes will catch one and some day I'll be buying clothing from them. I'd be open to it, definitely.

6. Juno

JunoActive Member

Threads:
    We don't have supermarkets that really sell a lot of clothing around here, unless something like a Walmart or Target counts. At the supermarket I will generally find socks and slippers, and if I know I need some pantyhose the next morning and don't have time to swing by a regular shop, I will definitely buy from the supermarket. I have even bought slippers from there before. Basically, if I like it, I buy it and it doesn't matter where it is from.

7. angelicagapit

angelicagapitActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not much of a brand person, and there are actually certain supermarkets that I buy clothes from. If it looks good, has nice quality, feels comfortable to wear, and has a color that looks good on me, then why not get it?

What's good about buying clothes from supermarkets is that it's completely affordable and most of the time, it's durable. I love supermarket clothes because they don't have much prints on the shirts. They're just normal day-to-day clothes that you can pretty much wear anywhere you want. Sometimes the clothing designs are better that clothes in the mall.

8. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, supermarkets aren't as keen on selling clothes as they are on grocery items. The supermarkets we usually shop at aren't standalone buildings. They're usually lodged within malls, so it's a given that they only sell goods for consumption. There are boutiques and stalls all over such malls so I usually do my clothes shopping outside of the supermarket.

9. LitoLawless

LitoLawlessActive Member

Threads:
    It's actually pretty funny what you can find in a supermarket these days. They truly are a one stop shop for everything. I have only bought gym shorts or sweatpants from a supermarket before. I also never intend to wear any of those things in public, ever. They are strictly for when I am in my house with no intention of going anywhere.

10. krazyman

krazymanMember

Threads:
    If you are in a pinch and you need something quick...by all means pick something up but understand that the store's primary business to sell groceries and the stuff you are buying will suffice in a pinch, but nothing long term.

If you realize you need socks for tomorrow or an undershirt - something like that you could pick up quick at a grocery (if sold). If you are shopping at Walmart or Target you get the best of both worlds because both of those places now sell groceries and clothes.

I wouldn't make it a habit, but in a pinch, it works!

11. tournique

tourniqueActive Member

Threads:
    If I see anything I like in a supermarket and the quality meets my standards I will most likely buy. I'm not a sold out guy for big brands, even if I see something expensive. Usually price doesn't mean quality for me and i'm trying to find items that fit my needs and not my wallet. Of course, I always bought tshirt and shirt from the market. I only had one bad experience and that was with a pair of shoes which teared apart only after a few weeks. Well, they were worth the 5$ price.

12. GoldenWing

GoldenWingMember

Threads:
    Supermarkets are my primary source of clothing, when I'm not looking for offers. Sure, it's a tad generic, but at least the clothes are of enough quality, and since I know my measures very well, I can buy with very little chances of having to return them for not fitting.

The brands aren't anything special, but they're good enough, too

13. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    My supermarket doesn't sell clothes, but Walgreens and CVS do! You can find great t-shirts for around $2 there. I once bought a few t-shirts for my stepdad there. They sell the same shirts at JC Penney for $8 a pop.

14. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    Loblaws here sells Joe Fresh you can get good deal on fairly nice clothes. The prices are reasonable and since I go for groceries every week I can check for sales while I'm there. The kids clothes are fairly inexpensive and when they go on sale at the end of a season you can get kids swim suits for $5, kids tshirts for $4. The kids underwear and socks are a great price and it's so handy to have it right at the grocery store.

15. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have already bought several clothing items at supermarket. I don't think it is a problem, however I would never buy things that are too flashy. You don't want people to know that you bought the clothing in the supermarket! As Mongas you get basic stuff, you're saving money and getting decent clothing.

16. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    Although this isn't a " super market" I have gotten things like socks from the Dollar store. I agree that supermarkets are good for generic everyday things like socks. Though when I need to look a bit more fashionable, the supermarket will not do. There are other places like Walmart that sometimes combine shopping for food and clothes at the same time.

17. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    The supermarkets here have a wide selection of clothes. In fact, about 1/8 of the place is just for clothes. I see some store brand names there too which can also be found at the department stores. So I think their quality is good enough. I haven't bought any clothes from them though as we tend to shop at stores before going into the grocery. Maybe one of these days.

The shoes are really what caught my attention though. They have flip flops, sneakers and sandals. They are very stylish and affordable. I wonder how long they will hold up! Better buy one to know!

18. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    As its rare to find stores that sell both food and clothing where I live and therefore bearing in mind that its not something that I have much experience of and also that in other places the choice and quality could well be totally different - if I were to be totally honest - having looked around the few that we do have and found - that not only was the quality extremely poor and the sizing all over the place - but also that there were so many of each garment - that if you bought one - you would be seeing that very same outfit on many other people - almost to the point that everyone might as well - all be wearing a uniform.

Realistically speaking - I don't think that I would ever buy my clothes from the supermarket - as apart from the fact I've always preferred to buy stylish but classic clothes that fit well, are reasonably unique and are of excellent quality - its actually way more cost effective for me to do that - especially as my clothes are generally so durable, versatile and don't date that they last for many, many years.

However that said - for those with little ones that outgrow their clothes in next to no time - then buying from the supermarket may well be the better option when looking to save money.

19. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My local Tesco is great for basic items like socks, everyday panties and tights. The leggings and vests are reasonable too. With other items though, I'm concerned about the "uniform" look too. So whilst the supermarket is great for the essentials, I prefer other stores (mainly charity shops TBH) for stuff like skirts and tops.

20. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    The stores around here in NE Ohio and in most place in the US, are typically the other way around - they are general department stores that sell clothing, but also happen to have a grocery section in them as well. In other words, the store is primarily a department store with a smaller grocery section. Currently Wal-mart would be the most common example, but Target, and Super K-Marts have this layout as well.

I've bought clothing from all three of those places, but I generally stick to stuff like t-shirts, athletic shorts, socks, etc... I would not buy stuff like dress pants, or jeans or business casual stuff at those places, because the quality is just not good. Of the three, Target tries to offer the most fashionable stuff (for men), but the quality of their store brands that they carry in men's clothing is just too cheap and flimsy. It doesn't make sense to save a few bucks on something there if you're going to be replacing it in a few weeks because it got destroyed in the washer. A pair of Levi's will last you years in comparison. Even Dillard's Roundtree & Yorke store brand clothing is far better than Target's store brand men's clothing, and holds up for years vs months.