Buying clothes in different colors

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by chiofthenorns • Sep 4, 2014.

1. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    My aunt used to tell me that if there is a piece of clothing that I want, then I should buy it in all the colors available. That way, I can mix and match it with different bottoms. This would also save me a lot of money in theory. I was wondering if some of you do this? I tried this once but I ended up not using most of them. I just used the black and white pieces. Do you think that this is wise?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Only buy colors you like and will wear. Sometimes I will buy several of the same black t-shirt rather than a color. Perhaps a white or blue one, but a color that suits me and that I will wear.

I think it is strange advice, as no one wants to wear the same style top all the time, a few colors, but not all the colors. You should wear ones that suit your coloring and that you are comfortable wearing. It is a waste of money to buy a color that doesn't go with anything and that you have never worn IMHO.

In the old days when there were less styles and ready to wear clothes, that may have applied, but with stores having new stock every week, there is more than enough choice for colors, style and quality.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The style will be the same, so it would also look redundant, right? I have never bought several clothes of the same design but in a different color, but I would be more likely to buy clothes that are cheap but in varied designs and colors. Just buy the clothes in thrift shops so that it won't be costly.

#3Sep 4, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  4. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I don't do it very much, however I do sometimes shop in Primark (UK) where you can buy t shirts for as little as £1.50 sometimes. If I see a style that I like, I will buy it in a couple of colours, because they do well for just chilling out in the summer, whether I'm in the garden or on the beach. On the whole though, I do have a variety of trousers/shorts/skirts etc so I know that no matter what I buy, I am almost certain to be able to find something that would go with it. I wouldn't buy a lot of the same thing if they were expensive, it's only the very cheap and functional things that I would do that with.

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think we all just develop our own different and personal strategies towards building a wardrobe and that might have been the case for her but it just probably doesn't work for you. It's best to just do what's comfortable for you but I agree that if you want to keep your budget to a minimum then you'd have to have a plan or a good view of the big picture of your wardrobe so you'd be able to mix and match a lot more efficiently.

6. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    This is not a bad idea! I'm only doing this with t-shits and socks tho'. T-shirts because sometimes I find them cheap and buying in bulk the same color is a waste - so I mix the colors a little. As for socks, well, diversity doesn't hurt :D With other clothing items I like to go for diversity in design, not colors. I prefer wearing different designs of, say, shirts and not the same model with just a different color.

7. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I have a weird body shape so it is hard to find clothes that fit me, when I do I will buy several pairs and recently I have started buying them in various colours as I got fed up of people pointing at me and saying "didn't you wear that t-shirt yesterday?" and them not believing my (No, I've bought a few of them" reply. :)

8. Bright7

Bright7Active Member

Threads:
    I've heard of this before, but I think it would look like a was wearing uniforms if I had the same styles of clothes but in different colors. I'd probably be more inclined to try this with shoes than with clothes. I think this could also work well with accessories like scarves and belts.