Buying food on Amazon

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Stephanie • Apr 20, 2012.

1. Stephanie

StephanieMember

Threads:
    I've heard their diaper club is very good, but are there any substantial savings to be had by buying food from Amazon? I have a friend who has purchased wheat from them, but I'm not up for grinding my own so that didn't help me much :D

Thanks!

2. MegaZx

MegaZxNew Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't buy food on amazon if I were able to buy it in stores. There are some snacks that I can't find in stores so the only option I have or the only way I know is to purchase it off of Amazon. I would say that there aren't much benefits to purchasing food off of Amazon, mainly because if it is nasty or incorrect then you'll go through a hassle of returning it. Since it is other sellers selling it, I don't think it would be super cheap... but if it is cheap then you always have to worry about the shipping prices because many items on Amazon is around $1, but the shipping is $5.

3. daisiesndots

daisiesndotsMember

Threads:
    I won't buy food on amazon just because it is always in bulk. I do think that they have great deals and if there was something on there on sale that I use religiously then I would buy it. But so far I have not seen anything I needed. I do love their subscribe and save program though! There are many deals on the site and I buy diapers and wipes from them all the time! The deals are so good that I haven't bought diapers or wipes in store in over 1 1/2 years!

4. Stephanie

StephanieMember

Threads:
    I really need to get motivated and make myself buy diapers from them!

Thanks ya'll.

5. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    I would definitely buy food from amazon! I believe we as consumers get complacent and become ok with the crap we buy at the store and don't go out looking for things that might be way better in quality. The whole organic and "close to nature" form of the primitive being is lost due to commodities of our stores and we have completely pushed aside those who still believe that working from farm to table is the best way.

The "Organic" wave hit and everyone thought that was so innovative - its called farming, something people have done for hundreds of years and those who live out in the country dont find this food any more organic than they do find it a daily form of living. Because of these hard workers there are delicious delicacies to be had from Amazon that we as regular brand name store consumers don't take advantage of.

When was the last time any of you purchased honey from a farm where the bees are undisturbed and the bee keeper knows just how many colonies he has. Or when was the last time you purchased a fruit preserve made by hand in small batches from a farm in a tiny town with a family who has been doing it since the days that preserves were the only way to make fruit last through the hard months? That is where the awesome flavor comes from and this my friends you cannot purchase from a local supermarket. I say Yes to food from amazon because thanks to this and other web pages that sell food we get to taste the mastery of many unique food items from places we may never get a chance to visit. In addition, by purchasing these items we are helping local growers that are losing their land and their businesses to the ones who have multi- million dollar machines piping ready mixed food into containers that will never be half as tasty as what these farmers have spent all season growing and preparing with their bare hands and hard work. The quality of this food is unsurpassed but unfortunately commodity takes over for the majority of the nation.

6. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I have bought food on amazon and it always worked out well for me. The only thing is that sometimes I find that buying it on amazon is not a huge discount over buying it from the store, especially when you take shipping into account.

7. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I've done it a few times when they had huge sales going on. Buying in bulk is usually cheaper than buying individually, so when they'd run free shipping on the grocery section, I would seek out the bulk sale items and pick up things I'd normally buy anyway, but turned out to be cheaper by the box or bag...and shipped straight to my door for free.

8. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    I cannot imagine buying food from Amazon. Mainly because I am half-a-world away and the freight charges would be exorbitant. Also the food may be spoiled by the time it reaches me.

9. Gonzalo

GonzaloActive Member

Threads:
    I've never heard of this before! I thought it wasn't possible to buy food through Amazon. However, I think I wouldn't do it...
    I prefer buying foods at my local store rather than buying them online. I just can't imagine it

10. alinass

alinassMember

Threads:
    I didn't know that I could buy food there. But I would. I prefer buying on Ebay, I love Maggi, all of the products and they have different pruducts in each country so I'm thinking to order som Maggi products from India or Germany. The only problem is that they sell it on too high prices! $16-$30!!!! Here I pay only $1-$1.5!!!!

11. BonnyC

BonnyCActive Member

Threads:
    I would be willing to buy household goods from Amazon. Not food, but things like cleaning supplies, shampoo, refills for my Intuition razor. I can actually get a better deal on the refills there than I can at the store. Plus, I have free 2 day shipping with Prime, so I don't have to worry about shipping prices.

12. Gonzalo

GonzaloActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with you, totally! I think I would try buying different supplies like the ones you've mentioned. Does anybody know how these online stores are able to keep foods fresh?

13. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    I know people who buy some food on amazon. Some places will even give you a discount if you 'subscribe' to the food. Like you buy your pretzels every month on the first of the month and get some money off.

14. melmac

melmacMember

Threads:
    I've never bought food from Amazon--or any mail related company. However, I am so happy you posted this about the diapers. My son is starting to potty train, so I wish I would have seen it a year or two ago, but I can still get a deal on his overnight pullups. Thank you for the post.

15. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    Did you say Maggi? Is that the brand name of an instant noodles product? The reason I ask is because in Malaysia, there is a company producing instant noodles under the brand name Maggi. I don't know if their product is what you are talking about.

16. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Most food stores are going to be focused on selling non-perishable goods. So they're selling foods in cans, boxes, etc, that have a long shelf-life anyway.

When it comes to perishable goods like produce, they're going to accept and order and -then- fill it with fresh produce from their supplier right then and it'll be shipped ASAP so it's only in transit for a few days at maximum.

17. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, most of the food that is sold on amazon is non-perishable foods so they can afford to just ship it and not worry if it gets to you for a few days.

18. SEA81

SEA81Active Member

Threads:
    I had my first food-buying experience on Amazon back in January, and it was fine! I bought almond flour. It came from a little Amish place in Pennsylvania, arrived quickly, hasn't killed me, etc. The price was even better than anything I can find in stores.

19. Stephanie

StephanieMember

Threads:
    Sounds like Amazon is a good place to find hard to get or specialty foods. I need to think of them more often instead of running all over town when I need a special spice or ethnic food not common to an only fairly populated area of the south.

20. GrandmaHugme

GrandmaHugmeMember

Threads:
    I am a firm believer in consuming only organic fresh produce and free range chickens or stream-fed fish. I have looked at Amazon's natural organic foods that are packaged in containers that, unfortunately, have toxins that leach from the container (plastic bottle, can, jug, box or bag) into the organic product. Here are some products they indicate are organic and free of preservatives, colorings, etc but I fear may still not have the full nutritional value (except for honey) that we need to keep our bodies healthy or help us heal. We must remember what Mother Nature provided to us: FRESH foods -- so we might thrive and not consume toxins by any method. From Amazon:

Popchips: All-natural popped potato, corn and rice chips in nine taste bud-popping flavors with half the fat and cholesterol of fried potato chips
    O.N.E. Coconut Water: 100% natural coconut water with five essential electrolytes, more potassium than a banana, no added sugars, no fat, no cholesterol and no preservatives
    Baronet Organic Coffee: Specialty Fair Trade Organic coffee belnds from an environmentally and economically sustainable source
    Wedderspoon Organics: 100% certified organic manuka honey products from New Zealand including raw honeys, balms, lozenges and soaps
    Funky Monkey: Delicious, all-natural, freeze-dried fruit that crunches. No added sugar and no artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives. 100% natural and 100% delicious
    mix 1: A balance of complete nutrition, great flavor and convenience., each bottle contains 15 grams of premium whey protein isolate, 23 vitamins and minerals, 3 servings of fruits and veggies, and antioxidants equivalent to 4 cups of green tea. It is also free of lactose, gluten, soy, and caffeine
    Melitta Organic Coffee: 100% Premium high altitude grown organic Arabica beans from farms that have grown coffee the same way for generations
    Panda Licorice: The strong-flavoured, high-quality all natural licorice made without preservatives and using time-honored methods