Buying For Comfort And Practicality Rather Than Fashion

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by cocolgooh • Feb 29, 2016.

1. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I always buy clothes for comfort and practicality over fashion. I find that in the long run I'm more likely to get more use out of something if it's something I'll wear for comfort that is also practical than I will if I'm buying something just because it's the latest fashion and everyone is doing it. Occasionally I will buy something that is in fashion, but generally it will be because I actually need that item and it will serve it's purpose for a lot longer than it will stay in fashion rather than simply because it's in fashion.

2. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    That's wise because things go out of style and a person might feel strange. However, this is mostly a concern for younger people. Me, myself, I like to mix comfort with color which today means I have too many pairs of black pants and way too many pink and purple tops. Lol.

3. atlmom5

atlmom5Active Member

Threads:
    I lean more to the practicality side too. I might buy a few pieces that are "in fashion" from time to time, but I refused to go into debt for "fashionable" clothes.

4. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I would rather be comfortable than fashionable. I may buy something that is in fashion when I need something for a special occasion or something like that. I prefer to feel comfortable and most comfortable clothes really do not go out of fashion. I want something more long term than something that is going to go out of fashion after a short time. I do not have that kind of clothing budget that allows for me to purchase clothes very often.

5. PennyPincher

PennyPincherMember

Threads:
    I do the same. If I am not comfortable in what I am wearing, it seems like a total waste of money to me. I will most likely never wear it again if it is not comfortable the first time I wear it. This method of shopping keeps me from having tons of like new clothing in my closet that I simply will not wear.

6. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also purchase my clothes for c they are in.omfort more than fashion. My style is classic which will last for a very long time and still be comfortable. I hate for my feet to hurt so I start there the next thing to make sure I am comfortable is my underwear. I see ladies wearing things I know are uncomfortable just to look good which in the long run does not make them look good because you can see the pain that

7. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hmm, it may be incriminating but I admit that sometimes I buy shoes that look good even if it is giving me discomfort. I have a rack containing more than 30 pairs of shoes and that's the proof that I had been buying for the design and not for the comfort as evidenced by the callous and corn on my toes. But with clothes, comfort and convenience is the primary criteria and the design and material just come next.

8. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Me too I buy what I need when I need it to aside of buying for comfort not what's hot in fashion. Can't afford it anyway, but found clothes that suit me at bargain prices at Savers or other thrift stores. Once in a while Walmart or Don Quiote has nice clothes on sale I look at them, but don't buy unless I need them.

9. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I hardly ever buy something that is in fashion since they tend to be expensive and most of the clothes can't be worn when they are out of style anyway, so why buy them? That's my logic. That's why I'll choose comfort and practicality over fashion any time.

10. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    I try to aim for both fashion and comfort while shopping for clothes. My job requires business-casual attire, therefore dressing up a little bit is required. When shopping for clothing for work, I usually try on items before I purchase them, to make sure they are comfortable enough for me to actually wear to work. If they are uncomfortable in any way, then I do not purchase them, because chances are I will not wear them.

While at home, I dress for pure comfort. I have no problem wearing clothing that is not in style at home, as long as it is comfortable.

11. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I can definitely understand the need for comfortable work clothes, @prose@prose! You're likely to be in them for quite a few hours every day so they need to be comfortable, but you've got to look good too! Having an uncomfortable uniform is the worst thing ever I think. I used to have to wear a company blazer which was identical for everyone, male and female. It was so heavy and bulky that it made me feel like I was being weighed down all the time. I think as a workforce we all used to make up excuses not to wear them because it made us overly hot too.

12. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Many people buy items out of the influence of fashion and later discover that they have to sacrifice their comfort. Still others are not longlasting. Some end up discarding the items which have cost them a fortune. Examples abound like pointed high heels. Personally I buy items on the basis of how they fit, presentability and durability.

13. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    As my taste in clothes has always been stylish but classic and therefore current trends or what’s in or out in terms of fashion has never been of any importance to me - I've never really had any problems in this area - as to be perfectly honest - not only have I found that its very possible not to have to sacrifice comfort in order to look both stylish and elegant - but I have a rule to which I strictly abide by and that is - if something is not comfortable or doesn't fit well when I first try it on - then I don't buy it.

14. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    While I'm not a religious follower of the current trends, I also don't buy solely for comfort. What I do try to do is marry style with comfort, because more often than not, I find clothes that are designed from a comfort focal point are HIDEOUS. I'm very girly and love beautiful, classic, well tailored clothes, sometimes with unique/unusual lines. I'm lucky that it follows that if the clothes are well tailored, they'll also be comfortable. I mean, even at home, I wear comfortable but pretty and girly clothes. Maybe I get it from my mum, who in her mid-60's is very well put together and doesn't go for typical 'granny styles'. Her clothes are age appropriate and comfortable but pretty. That for me is what works.

15. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I totally buy for comfort because I am in those clothes for hours! If I had a personal driver then maybe I'd wear fancy high heels, but I am a city girl who walks everywhere! I need comfort shoes!

16. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think a healthy mix of both is best, as is with everything else. If you only buy for comfort then you risk appearing frumpy but of course even if you are buying to be fashionable y have to think about it from a practical point of view as well. I am not someone who is against a bit of sacrifice when it comes to looking good, but only if it's something that won't cause permanent damage to my body or any similar negative effect, which is why I always carefully research before trying out something new.

17. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    When I was a teenager I always bought clothes based on what was in fashion at the time, but now I see that it isn't what you should do - because there is no point looking good if you don't feel good. So now, I will buy things that are comfortable instead, and it is a lot better and I have more fun with the things that I do on a daily basis - so this is something that I would definitely recommend to anyone!

18. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I don't believe in being uncomfortable because I would want to fashionable. Sure, I would want to be fashionable, but not on the terms of being having to be constantly squirming or adjusting.For, instance, there are bunions on my feet, therefore, have to ensure that my shoe has enough room that there won't be any discomfort, and that's the reason I don't buy those fashionable pointed toe shoes. I have seen women wearing these short dresses which keep on riding up whilst they are walking and they have to be continually pulling down the dresses, and I am thinking why do the choose to endure this problem.

19. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    For me, I try to dress for both comfort and fashion. For a few examples:
    • I would wear form-fitting comfortable clothes rather than loose, ill-fitting comfortable clothes. I think it makes a huge difference if someone wears well-fitted clothes despite it being a simple t-shirt and pants. Compare that to ill-fitting clothes that are comfy, like a big t-shirt and a non-fitting pants.
    • I would wear shoes that fit my age and style rather than wear trendy shoes that don't fit my age and style. I can wear sneakers, wedges, flats and even pointy shoes. Heels just doesn't work for me.
    • And to that point, I wear appropriate clothing for appropriate situations. Say we're going to the mall, I won't be wearing heels there or super short shorts or too thin tops. Say we're going to mass, I would be wearing pants or dress whatever strikes my fancy but not shorts or anything sleeveless.

20. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Never have I worn anything for aesthetic and superficial reasons alone. I always choose clothes not just for their design and whether they fit me just right, but also for the level of comfort they bring. If a wardrobe provides me with enough breathing room and lets me "strut my stuff" without the dangers of a malfunction, then I would purchase it and wear it as much as I want to. I consider myself "stylish" and not a "fashionista."