Buying From Ebay?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Fashionista • Jul 29, 2012.

1. Fashionista

FashionistaNew Member

Threads:
    Has anyone ever bought something from e-bay? Like expensive things, such as curling irons/rods or branded clothing or textbooks? I mean, obviously people have bought from e-bay--I’m just looking for some insight on it. I’m a little hesitant on shopping online, but I do come across some really good stuff now and then. I just get a little nervous when I’m at checkout :p . I’ve bought online directly from stores before, but not on anything like e-bay which has everything and where the sellers aren't always big companies or anything.

Thanks in advance! :)

2. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    I fully understand your paranoia about shopping online. So many scams out there it's sometimes difficult to find someone you trust with your information.
    Ebay is a very safe place to shop and to sell your items. I've been using Ebay for over 6 years and I've never had a problem with them yet. I can give you a few tips to shop on Ebay if it makes you feel any better.

1) Only buy from people with 100% good reputation. Scroll through their profile and find comments made by people who have bought from them and see what they are saying.
    2) Only buy from someone who sends your items at first class recorded delivery; These people tend to be very careful because they don't want people to claim they never sent the items, trying to pull a fast one on them and claim their money back. These types of people will make sure your item is sent safely and securly.
    3) Send them an email before you place your bid and ask about the item; This tells you whether they are active on the site and care about what they are selling. If you don't get an answer then they either have something to hide about the item or they are just ignorant. If they don't return my email, I'm not doing business.

Millions of people shop on Ebay. Trust them, your personal information is very safe with Ebay.

#2Jul 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  3. KNH

KNHActive Member

Threads:
    I have shopped on eBay for many years and I have never had a problem. It is very safe if you check the seller's ratings and the comments they have. If the seller is very vague with the description, send a message to them; however, most people are pretty straight up and thorough with the description. I suggest always using PayPal even if the seller has not made it required. Good luck :)

4. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    I disagree with the 100% reputation piece of advice. Anything above 99% is fine. Lower than that... not really. But don't only aim for 100% sellers, there are some great sellers that have received bad reputation.

Do try to look for a "Top Rated Seller", though - those will definitely not scam you.

I've bought many expensive things from eBay. In a few days, when I have enough money, I'll buy a $100 item for my guitar.

5. dreyz

dreyzMember

Threads:
    I've bought a lot of things from eBay sellers, ranging from cellphone covers, music albums, posters, cards and books. So far all my transactions were carried out without any problem at all. I have never contacted eBay support once, and I'm satisfied with the current condition. I too feel a bit skeptical when I first started out, but as you gain more experienced, you'll learn to be confident with whoever it is that you are purchasing from.

And yes, finding a seller with 99% rating and above is very, very important. They are the most trusted ones around there.
    Good luck!

6. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Okay, I will admit this. I purchased a used car from ebay. I specifically searched for autos for sale in my area. I went to check the car out before placing my final bid. It was being sold by an auto dealership on behalf of a senior woman who took very good care of the car. I was very happy with my purchase.

7. Wasabi

WasabiNew Member

Threads:
    eBay is extremely popular around the world. It is safe as long as you buy from the right people, however. Make sure they have a 95% or more reputation there would. Looking at the comments people gave the seller helps, too.

8. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I've purchased tons of stuff from eBay, but you do have to be careful. There are times you will run into a shady seller, so make sure you do your research about the product you're buying. Ask questions if you have any because you're responsible if something goes wrong. Many times people will bid on items without properly reading the description. It can lead to a lot of problems that you don't want to deal with, but most of the sellers are honest. Just read the reviews of previous buyers and you should be fine.

9. saizo6

saizo6Active Member

Threads:
    I shop on ebay all the time. The most important thing for a buyer is to ask questions. If you see an item you really want but are unsure about it, just contact the seller to clarify. It doesn't hurt and legitimate sellers (from what I've encountered) are more than willing to answer (they are trying to sell the stuff after all). Another thing to look out for is the seller's reputation. You can always visit their profile and read comments by people who have purchased from them.

10. trident252

trident252Member

Threads:
    I've never had any problem in the 10+ years I have been buying on eBay. Like anything else, just be careful who you are buying from. If it looks shady, it probably is.

11. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Yep, I have. I have even spent hundreds of dollars in one transaction for electronics like for a couple of my laptops from Ebay. The key is to check out their reputation/reviews thoroughly and ask any and all questions you may have, even if you feel like they may be silly. You want to feel confident before you put those credit card numbers in.

12. sandooch

sandoochActive Member

Threads:
    I have bought and sold items on eBay. Most are not big ticket items, but a few are. I really have not had any major issues with sellers or buyers when purchasing an expensive item. But I do make sure that they have good reviews and have sold more than 50 items before buying from them.

My youngest daughter just made her first sale on eBay and sold a hightop Converse shoe for over $200! I've never sold anything for that much. She said she would have been happy if they sold for $20. The person had a great review score, paid right away, and we mailed it out yesterday. Now we are just holding our breath to see if she returns it because it doesn't fit. I really hope not and that she just likes them and gives my daughter a good review. I'm more nervous for my daughter than she is for herself about the whole purchase.

13. amy005

amy005Active Member

Threads:
    I never had any major problems buying on ebay aside from one product I bought when I was a teen. There was something called a "split ender" that I saw advertised on tv at the time. It seemed like the most amazing thing to me at the time but I didn't want to spend 30 + dollars on it. So I found one on ebay for like half the price, but when I received it, it didn't do anything to help my split ends! I soon realized after a bit of research that it was a fake. Otherwise I have had good luck mostly buying cell phones. You should always read the sellers feedback though especially if they have less then 99 percent positive feedback, but usually if it is at least 95 it is still good.

14. micromachne

micromachneMember

Threads:
    I try to say clear of Ebay as much as I can. I remember the day Amazon came out how my Ebay activity dropped hard. Ebay was too hit or miss for me. Sometimes, it was great. But other times, I had to fight WAY too hard to get stuff I paid for. It wasn't worth it in the end.

15. BarelyHangingOn

BarelyHangingOnActive Member

Threads:
    Usually if it's too good a deal it is if you are buying expensive brand name items. For example, I am bidding on golf club right now from one of the top 5 sellers of golf items. There are other sellers with the same items dirt cheap but I wouldn't trust that half of them are real.

As far as feedback goes, I read the negatives and neutrals. Sometimes it's just petty comments and I disregard them.

16. tetutato

tetutatoActive Member

Threads:
    I used to buy ton of things from eBay. Nowadays.. not so much considering I don't need much :D

17. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:

^ Agreed. I always checked the seller rating before buying anything. And also check the comments box for fake users, repeat posters, etc. To make sure their compliments are atleast 95% genuine. I've bought recently from EBAY for the first time. Bought a harddrive for my desktop, a pair of headphones, and a Sony CDROM drive. All worked perfectly and had no problems with the sellers. In a few days, I will probably buy a new PSU for my desktop from there as well. Their seller prices also beat Amazon's seller prices which are ridiculous in the case of some items.

18. Alaska7

Alaska7Member

Threads:
    I've bought many different things on Ebay, and at least 2 items that were $1000+. The important things to remember, as many have been said, are to pay attention to the seller's ratings, and if possible, get in touch personally with the seller! For example, for one item I was intending to buy, the price seemed abnormally cheap so I thought I might be getting a knock-off. I got in touch with the seller, and he explained that he was desperately in need for cash so he was selling it for an extra low price and also included a certificate of authenticity. It helps to know the motivations of the sellers!

19. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    By the way, you should always go for registered airmail. Always ask for a tracking number, that works as insurance.

20. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    True. But sometimes you cannot get a tracking number! I ordered a pair of earbuds all the way from Hong Kong China. No tracking number because it was way outside the states. They got here though. A week late, but they got here.:D