Buying Home Decor from Dollar Stores

Discussion in Home & Garden started by LindaKay • Apr 19, 2014.

1. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    What do you think about buying home décor from dollar stores?

When we first moved here, the place looked empty. It's much larger than where we stayed before, so we needed more décor and stuff. But, I was kind of on a tight budget and didn't really have enough cash to go out and buy a bunch of stuff.

I hit up Family Dollar and bought a bunch of pictures and different things, though, and got them for cheap! Plus, I think they look nice.

I think the best thing you can do is to buy some cheaper items and fill in with nicer, higher-quality items. Then, it isn't so obvious that your home is decorated with dollar store stuff, but you can still save cash.

2. Livvy

LivvyActive Member

Threads:
    I have no problem with it myself. A lot of my stuff is from various dollar stores, since I just want some cheap lights, or maybe a book case here and there. But then I'm a student who only has to decorate her one room, so it's a bit different to filling a full house with them I guess.

3. DDavies

DDaviesActive Member

Threads:
    I have gone the same route. Some items, like candle holders and lampshades, you can personalize so they appear unique. A little paint, ribbons, glitter, beads -- can make a huge difference for little money down. Thrift stores and garage sales are a great place to score crafting scraps for even cheaper than craft supplies from dollar stores.

4. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    If you visit different dollar stores often you can find cheap but nice looking items. Most people think that dollar stores only sell bad looking stuff, but go there often and you'll be surprised of what you can find. Personally, I bought some wall stickers, mugs and painting frames and I'm very happy with my purchases. Try paying a visit to the flea market also and you'll be surprised about how much better looking your house is with little money invested.

5. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    There are some functional items to be found at these places. Some are of decent quality and last a few years. I got dishes for my first place that lasted close to 10 years. Shopping here is recommended for anyone starting out or starting over.

6. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    They have some nice decor at reasonable prices. Years ago, I was looking for some inexpensive end tables to put on both sides of my bed, but all the furniture stores wanted like $150-$200 for them. I happened to see some wooden plant stands at the dollar store that were the exact same color as my headboard (cherry wood), and they were only $8 each. I grabbed a couple of doilies and some tall fake potted flowers at Big Lots to put on them, and they worked out perfectly.

I've also bought small decorative shelves from there, and simply painted them to match my wall color, and those looked great as well. Plus they were only like $3 each.

I've noticed they started getting in a lot of other cool stuff like vases, and mirrors.

7. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've noticed that Family Dollar has end tables, mirrors, Asian wall decorations and even some canvas wall art with pictures of New York. I remember thinking that someone with a good eye could do a decent job of decorating their home with that stuff.

8. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You can find good things there or items you can convert into other items. I got a nice mirror for a dollar and some frames for photos. They were all plain so it was easier to mix and match with other items. The candles also tend to have a good selection which also smell nice. It's hot and miss, but it's worth looking at especially for frames. All you need are some nice prints or from a magazine and you have some good decor.

9. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    Sometimes you can find some really cool stuff at dollar stores. I remember years ago, I found some wooden pictures that were really interesting. Some had pictures of roosters, or something similar. Others had boats. They were really, really nice. Something I would never expect to find at a dollar store. I wish I would have gotten a more that I did.

10. bhickmon

bhickmonNew Member

Threads:
    I've found some gems at dollar stores for sure! For a lot of things, you have to be sure the quality is worth bringing it home, but for some of the other things like wreaths, and some of their silver trays, it's easy to make it work! Also - it's a great place to go if you're into crafting and DIY. I saw an image on Pinterest where someone had taken a rubber decorative door mat from the dollar store and spray painted it white to make a wall decoration!

11. EllieTamal

EllieTamalNew Member

Threads:
    Sometimes I had a fortune to find rather pretty stuff which did not look cheap. But in most cases if I buy there something - it is for further decoration and reconsideration. As many note above, the items from dollar store serves nice crafting material.

12. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I don't see why it matters how much things cost, so long as you're happy with how it looks in your home - which you clearly are. Nobody is going to walk into your house and ask you how much your decor cost, and this is something that you should remember when you're thinking about what to decorate your house with. You can get wonderful additions for a very low price indeed.

13. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Dollar Tree has flower arranging supplies, glass candle holders, vases, picture frames and wall decals. There is nothing wrong with spray painting some of their cheap frames matte black or white to make a gallery wall. There's no reason you can't take Dollar Tree's florist foam wreath shapes and make your own decorative flower wreath. You can use the contact paper they sell to cover some shoe boxes to make decorative boxes with lids. The only limit to making cute home decor out of Dollar Tree finds is your imagination.

14. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I mean as long as you like it, what is the difference how much it costs I agree with ACSAPA, you can even add additonal objects to the items to make them fancier or more unique. It is just one of the ways you can use the inexpensive items you find there. I have seen many people buy home decor items there. I had a decorator shelf that I bought there that I thought was fine..Of course the cat somehow got involved in killing it by knocking a lamp on it...but still it served me well!

15. shoptodrop

shoptodropActive Member

Threads:
    It's a good way to go if you can find stuff that won't break on you soon after purchasing it. You can find really cute stuff at dollar stores for your home. I've been seeing a lot of those little wall decors that have quotes on them lately. You can find those for cheap and make your house look more homey, or neat clocks and mirrors. There's all kinds of stuff. Even dressers and things like that. I love to look around stores like that!

16. atlmom5

atlmom5Active Member

Threads:
    I don't see the problem with it. As long as I like something then I'll buy it.

17. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I find that things from Dollar stores can be just as good as things bought from more expensive stores and if you can save money in the process then that's even better! I've bought things such as candles and candle holders from stores like that and nobody would ever know where they came from. I think photo frames can be just as good from dollar stores too. They can easily be made to look more expensive with a little bit of paint if you want to add a more unique finish as well!

18. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    Stores such as Family Dollar, Dollar General, and Big Lots tend to have nice paintings and other home decor items. I have not purchased any home decor items from these stores. In order to save money on home decor items, I look for frames and artwork from thrift stores and garage sales. We have also made a few large, framed family posters ourselves, and we pain't ed all of the artwork in our son's nursery. I like using family photos and photos of scenic places we have taken while on vacation in our home decor, as well as artwork we have done ourselves, because adding those memories makes the decor a little more special.

19. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This. Plus, you can't find mirrors any cheaper. I like to pick up mirrors at the dollar store (real dollar stores where stuff is actually a dollar) and get nice, wood frames for them at thrift shops and yard sales. I can paint or otherwise embellish the frames, for a great looking mirror that only costs a couple of bucks.

I also like to make stuff from dollar store finds. You'll see a lot of this kind of stuff of Pinterest.