Buying Japanese Brands

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by joshc428 • Oct 10, 2015.

1. joshc428

joshc428Active Member

Threads:
    Hello! I'm a 19 year old guy and I'm definitely on the shorter end of the spectrum. Whenever I order clothes online in size small, they run big more often than not. The thing is, XS tends to be too cramped because I do have a bit of muscle. There seems to be no size that effectively caters to a short guy with a slightly wider frame. The small usually fits around the top but it droops so much. I heard that Japanese men tend to have a similar size/frame so it's good to order from them. However, I know it can be kind of expensive to have them shipped to America. Any tips? Any places that sell Japanese clothing for low prices?

2. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    If you buy online like ebay, then look to see if they offer free shipping. If not, what is the harm in negotiating it? Try finding Japanese communities and see if you can buy clothes there. You can also try having your clothes altered. I don't think you want to go as far as to make your own clothes though.

3. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    Have you tried Uniqlo? It is a Japanese brand and has branches all over the world. I love their clothing, fabric and styles. You can also try their website if they do ship abroad.

The other site I know of is Yesstyle.com which has mainly Japanese clothings. I'm just not sure if they have free shipping. You can just checkout their site.

Good luck!

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I agree with Briannagoddess, it's a great brand and they have very high quality clothes at fair prices. They are a popular brand too so it shouldn't be too hard to find, and if you can't find one of their branches near you I'm sure you'll be able to find some online. I've been buying clothes from them ever since I first discovered them a year earlier and now they are one of my favorite brands that I constantly buy from.

5. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:The only place I know that has small sizes is amazon.com and amazon gives free shipping when you spend $35 or more. The only thing at amazon is that the free shipping is for the ones marked free shipping. Account's are free to join and smile.amazon.com lets you donate to charities of your choice with proceeds of what you spend, so yo u just buy and smile.amazon.com automatically donates a percentage of the sale to donations. You could research online for your size and check BBB.org for the business reputation too. Good luck!

6. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You might want to just google or do as a search term Japanese clothes for competitive prices. I don't know if you should use the word low, you might get a bunch of junk. I am certain there are some quality sellers of Japanese clothes, and knowing where to look is one of the ways to get the type of clothing you need, at the price you can afford.

7. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    Do give Uniqlo a try. They are a global brand that's recognized world wild. I'm a fan of their shirts because they're simple and soft. The perfect look for men loves to wear simple things.

8. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I'm a borderline between medium and large, so I lean towards large if buying from abroad. I personally hate loose clothes more than tight ones, so I'm still cautious when I do that.

9. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I second the motion about Uniqlo. They have mid-range prices and their clothes are made from the finest materials. They specialize in thick, wintery clothes but also offer everyday casual pieces. Kapital, Blue Blue Japan, The Soloist, Hysteric Glamour and designs from Nicola Formichetti, who is also the artistic and fashion creative director of Diesel, Uniqlo and Vogue Hommes Japan, are also worth considering.

10. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I actually am very wary of buying any Asian clothing brands in general for myself just because my biotype is completely different. I have a big butt Koba narrow waist and big boobs, I am very tall and overweight. That goes pretty much against everything you expect from an Asian biotype! As they usually make clothing for their own body types, I usually get scared of buying them and not having them fit me properly.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Try sammydress.com, I heard that they offer free shipping. Just beware of scams though, do your research before purchasing anything online and use Paypal.

12. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Whoa, Japanese clothing items are very expensive here. There is actually Uniqlo which is a Korean store. Their clothing and footwear items are of good quality but the prices are quite high compared to the local brands here in the Philippines. With Japanese brands, they are definitely higher in cost than the Korean brand. You are fortunate to have money for buying Japanese branded items.

13. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love fashion and beauty stuff from the Far East in general. But I have to tell you, it's very hard to find legitimate sites that aren't out to scam people. These unscrupulous companies take advantage of the fact that Asian stuff is more popular than ever and will do anything to rob you blind. I'd also second Uniqlo, as it's a a well known and very popular brand.

Actually, @sidney@sidney, sammydress is known to be a scam too. I was interested in buying from them because they display gorgeous but reasonably priced stuff on their site. But an in depth search of reviews returned some very ugly accounts from very disgruntled former customers.

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Lushlala@Lushlala, Thanks for the heads up, now we know that sammydress is a scam. I've seen a Uniqlo store in one of the malls over here, but I did not come in to check their items since I'm not interested in buying anything. It seems like a good store, so I suggest it as well.

15. Lushlala

Threads:
    It's a pleasure, @sidney@sidney :) SammyDress is one of oldest cons out there. They reel people in with gorgeous stuff on the site, but apparently when you receive the items they're nothing like the pictures. -and it makes sense because they sell the stuff dirt cheap. Sometimes people don't even receive their orders!

I like Uniqlo stuff, but they're a little on the pricey side :( The quality and look of them is very reminiscent of Gap clothes, which I also LOVE.

16. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Lushlala@Lushlala, Was sammydress the site that scammed you? Anyway, I still prefer not spending that much on clothes, so I would rather have those 2nd hand clothes that are sold in thrift shops.

17. Lushlala

Threads:
    @sidney, the site that scammed me was causewaymall.com. But it was off the back of me being scammed by Causeway that I decided to shop around for other Far East clothing wholesalers, and SammyDress was one of the first ones that came up. Since I'd been stung before, I resolved to do very in depth research into it and was horrified at the findings. These days I tend to stick to US/UK online retailers, and so far, so good :)

18. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Lushlala@Lushlala, Were you able to get your money back after being scammed or it was gone forever since you used your credit card?

19. Lushlala

Threads:
    @sidney, sadly I lost the money because I was stupid enough to use my debit card instead of my credit card. I tried desperately to claw back my money from CausewayMall, sending email after email. Initially, they did respond, but they were basically very defensive and didn't understand what the fuss was all about! I just couldn't believe it. -and in the end I just gave up and decided to cut my losses and learn from the experience when they stopped all communication :(

20. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Lushlala@Lushlala, Well at least you learned to NEVER use your credit/debit card when making purchases online. If only you used Paypal then you surely would have gotten your money back.