Buying new towels

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Peninha • Sep 8, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've been living in my place for over a decade now and I just noticed that my bathroom towels have more than 10 years. I am now thinking, they are still looking good, so are they meant to last a lifetime? How often do you change them?

2. sthrngypsy

sthrngypsyActive Member

Threads:
    Mine wear out more quickly than every 10 years. I replace them as needed. Well, really I demote the old towels to cleaning rags and purchase new. You must take great care of your things to have your towels last more than 10 years. I got a bunch of towels at Kohl's one time for a dollar each. They lasted 5-6 years and I thought that was a really long time!

3. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think they're meant to last a lifetime :d But if you use a few of them instead of just one or two, and you wash them regularly before they get too dirty, I can see why they lasted such a long time. The only thing I'm curios about is how good are they absorbing water now? I imagine that the exterior fibers got worn-out thus minimizing the water absorption/drying capabilities of the towels. For me it simple, after a few years I turn them into rags and buy new ones in bulk from the dollar store.

4. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ah, but that is maybe the difference, I never bought mine in one dollar store, they were bought in those stores where people buy wedding gifts, so most likely they have a very good quality and last a long time. Also, thet absorb the water pretty good, they don't get soaked and they are pretty large.

5. dizzykitsune

dizzykitsuneActive Member

Threads:
    Once my towels rip, look a bit ragid, or lose their absorbancy I turn them into dish towels. I normally buy new ones at wal-mart for good deal, but you have to be careful when doing this! I bought three normal sized towels to use to dry off after I shower and the cheap $3 towels left little furries all over me! So much for the shower! I was covered in little fuzz balls. I suggest not purchasing a towel unless it's at least $6-10. Even better, purchase them from a store that's targeted toward bath products such as Bed Bed and Beyond. They're much more expensive, but will be extra soft and last you another ten years. Be sure to look for towels that advertise as being 'quick drying' or extra absorbent. Towels are one of many products that's worth investing into.

6. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    Wow, ten years definitely seems like a nice long life-span for them. I don't think they're meant to last a lifetime for most people :p but clearly if you get decent quality and take good care of them they can last for a while. I replace mine as needed, not on any set time frame on anything like that, but they get a lot of use and I'd say I end up replacing them every 1-2 years.

7. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    I like my towels being color coordinated with my bathroom. Every time I change my bathroom, I buy new towels. I also buy new towels when the old ones start to look like they are ripping or loosing their fluffiness. I like my towels to stay soft and fluffy, I cannot stand a thin towel. So basically I normally buy new towels every 3-4 months.

8. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    It really depends. I recently invested in towels from Restoration Hardware and I am hoping they last awhile. I have about 4 sets of towels that I use in rotation and buy new sets when I find a color or brand that I like. For the most part I tend to get rid of towels--just an FYI you can donate them to animal shelters--about every 1-2 years.

9. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    There you were saying you changed your shower curtains every 3 years. I actually never keep towels that long actually. I just get paranoid about mold build up, and as someone who has a few allergies this is of particular concern for me. Most of my towels are just cheap budget ones but I have loads.

10. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Maybe that makes all the difference. In fact, even if I change my shower curtain fairly often, the towels have been lasting me forever. As I said, maybe they have a superior quality I don't know, but they look pretty much as good as new and they don't seem to wear out.

11. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I actually never stopped to think about how often I buy new towels. I buy them new as I need them, but I'm pretty sure it's more often than 10 years. Most of the towels I had 10 years ago I have either tossed or I have left at my mothers house for when I visit. I am planning on getting a couple new towel sets soon, as the ones I'm currently using have been getting really old.

12. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I change towels every 6 months or so. Though they still look, I just do it for hygiene purposes. Also, I love the feel of new towels. They are very fluffy!

13. erik120

erik120Active Member

Threads:
    Depends I have some towels that are body towels and then there's head towels for washing your hair. The body towels stay in the bathroom and can sometimes catch an unpleasant smell because my dad office in the house is near the bathroom and he smokes a lot so thats the reason. The hair towels are tucked away in the drawer and you get them before you want to wash your hair. I guess it kind of sounds like a strange little thing to other people but it just evolved naturally in our household like that because of all the other factors :D Anyway they last for aproximately 3-5 years generally before they start degrading.

14. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Are you serious, every six months? What do you do with the old towels? Sure, I would not mind to have new stuff all the time, but I need to optimize my spendings, so I can't and I don't have the need for that, I find it strange really. :)

15. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not sure about lasting a lifetime, but as long as they are still in good condition I don't see any reason to get rid of them.
    The ones I'm currently using have been in use for about 4 years now and I had gotten rid of the previous ones since one of them ripped and the wife thought it was unacceptable to not have a matching pair :)

16. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Exactly, that is how I feel. I wouldn't feel good to be cleaning myself to something not in conditions after showering, I am not that poor haha, so if I see that my towels are bad I change them, but this haven't happened in the last decade.

17. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on the quality of the towels. Some towels do not last all that long because they are not made very well in the first place, other last a very long time. I had the same towels from the time I was 3 till I graduated from high school, and they were not new when they were given to me. They were only replaced when the rip on the corners got so bad my mom couldn't stand it any more. I have only had one set of towels that I use since I moved out, so they have lasted quite a while, but they are not the quality of the ones I had as a kid, so I know they will fall apart in less years than those.

18. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    You are lucky to have bathroom towels still looking good 10 years later. I usually buy bathroom towels every other month. I have a variety in my home. I grew up in a family of 6 and we didn't have a lot of money. So, we had few bathroom towels in the house. They became quite raggedy very fast because of constant usage. I guess this had an effect on me subconsciously because I make it a point to keep an abundance of bathroom towels. I sort of chilled out over the past year when I found towels I bought months ago and hadn't used them.

19. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    I think it depends. Some of my towels have lasted that long, others have wore out a lot quicker. It just depends on quality and how often you use them. I have some towels that I just need to let go because they're wearing thin.

20. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think that you have to change something just because they have to look good. I think that you have to change something because they could no longer perform their function. That's what I do. Often the appearance wears faster than the function. And for me what's important is the function. Until a thing is fulfilling its used, I am glad to keep on using it and not replace it.