Buying pre-built

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Strykstar • Apr 30, 2014.

1. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Do you buy a pre-built computer or do you buy the parts and assemble it yourself?
    If I don't have the know-how to put it together, is it wise to hire someone to do it or just forget it and buy an already built one?

2. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'd love to have the knowledge to build a computer really, I think that could save me a lot of money, but unfortunately I am not an expert. I would not pay someone to do it, I just prefer to buy them at a regular store.

3. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I know my way around components so I build the computers I own myself. You can save a lot of money by building the PC yourself, money that you can either spend on something else or invest in better parts. If you have no PC knowledge, find a friend that does. Even if you pay that friend some money for the trouble you'll still end up saving some cash.

4. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    It is really pretty simple to assenble a computer in this day and age. But also if you are struggling to get your computer assembled, then i would suggest you watch a tutorial on youtube. It is pretty easy to get the information you want and they will show you how to do it step by step.

5. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Well if you're not confident enough to build one yourself then just go for pre-built although I have to say, pre-built computers are more often than not, is more expensive compared to custom built. I suggest you go to PC building websites, build yourself a computer and let them put it together for you.

6. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Although I haven't attempted it yet in entirety, I could probably build a desktop system on my own with little trouble. I've pretty much replaced just about every part in my previous desktop systems over the years, so I'm not intimidated by it for the most part. My biggest concern would be to make sure the unit is properly ventilated, so components don't get overheated easily and make the fans run full blast non stop. I've seen some custom built machines at places like MicroCenter that were running really loudly, which didn't make them look too good or reliable.

I don't think I would ever bother trying to build my own laptop however. I wouldn't have the patience to put all those tiny parts together so closely.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I now use a pre-built HP desktop, but I would really like to learn how to build my own pc from scratch, I just don't have the time to study those pc-building tutorials on Youtube, since I know I would save a lot of money and have better specs at the same time if I know how to do it and I don't just rely on buying pre-built pc's. When I watch those videos it seems so easy, so when this pc needs to be replaced already, I would be more motivated to learn how to build one on my own.

8. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I'm currently working on building my desktop, one part at a time. The advantage of doing so is you get exactly what you want in your computer and you can upgrade it at pretty much anytime you want or have the money to do so. You won't have to go out and buy a new computer every time you want something new.

If you don't know how to put the pieces together, taking it into a service like Geek squad at Best Buy or a similar service can do it for you. Might cost a little extra money, but at least you know it's being put together correctly.

9. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer buying pre-built. Building a computer yourself could be cheaper but if you don't how to do it, why bother taking the parts to those who know how to build a computer and pay for their services?

By the way, I wouldn't find myself in such a situation because I always buy used computers. They are a lot cheaper, IMO.

10. johnnear

johnnearActive Member

Threads:
    I assemble my PC every time. I find cheap parts and deals from friends and stores online and I just build them one part at a time. This way I get a much cheaper build and I can be sure that the PC is really what I wanted it to be. Some pre-built PC's claim to have this amount of RAM or a this much GHz but when you take a look inside it's either lacking or just not what it claims to be.

11. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There was a time when I used to build computers, but that was years ago. I also was living in the San Francisco Bay Area at the time. That was a great place to find great deals on computer parts. I knew all the best places to go. Plus, I was really into all things computers at the time.

My time is pretty tight now, so I prefer to buy a pre-built computer. I could probably built a better computer than I could buy, but I don't want to spend the time and energy researching, buying and assembling a computer.

12. oldwriter

oldwriterMember

Threads:
    There is nothing better than building your own system. Currently we enjoy tremendous value in things like hard disk capacities. When it is oneself who is in charge of system assembly, all these great capabilities that simply will not be used can be redirected to other components which one may well benefit from instead.

Example: for a normal user, it is better to put more RAM memory instead of focusing on a hard disk with more terabytes.

I highly recommend this route of building the PC yourself. It saves money and is more personally satisfying.

13. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    I always build or upgrade my computer rather than buying a prebuilt. But I think building is over rated sometimes. If you're buying an office computer it's not like you're going to save much, but it depends on what brand you buy. Building isn't as easy as everyone says too. The physical process is easy but getting it running if you're new isn't 100% problem free. I think it's important to know about computer parts though, so you can tell if you're getting your money's worth, and to know how to upgrade of course.