Buying pre-owned technology.

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Lostvalleyguy • Mar 30, 2014.

1. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    Have you ever considered buying a used computer or phone rather than buying one new?

One can save a lot of money if you aren't looking for the latest and fastest gadget. A large amount of electronic items don't fail and get replaces but instead become less new and get replaced. The market is geared to coming up with something newer and faster each season to keep people buying new goods. It is not set up for people to hang onto their computers for five or more years. There are a few places that do sell used computers. Many times these computers are less than two years old, have been upgraded, and are still better than the dinosaur you are replacing. A top of the line gaming computer from two years ago is still good, but is just not top of the line anymore.

2. Chia

ChiaMember

Threads:
    Just like you said, buying pre owned technology like Laptops or Phones is a really hard thing to do. The problem is that they get outdated so quickly. Computers and phones from 5 years ago will probably still work but aren't even close to being up to date. The technology is advancing very quickly now days. On the other hand there is some technology that you can by used and save a lot. For example, televisions, and speakers from 5 years ago can still be just as advanced as today's technology. The Pioneer Kuro plasma television was made in around 2005 and is still regarded as one of the best televisions on the market to date nearly 9 years later. So it just really depends on what the technology is.

3. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Depends on the device really, I mean, if a friend tries to sell me his used iPhone 5S, then I might consider since its the latest one but if he's gonna offer me an iPhone 4, well I might not take up the offer, but still depends on the price. When it comes to say, computers, like a desktop I will definitely check it out, with regards to its physical condition, since desktop PC's are easy to upgrade and might save you a lot of money in the long run. But If someone offers their iPod for cheap then I will definitely get it. The thing is, buying pre owned tech isn't really a bad idea, but you have to consider where you're buying from, some of these kinds of devices might look okay outside but has some serious issues inside.

4. AB91000

AB91000Active Member

Threads:
    I have to say that i am definitely against buying used electronics.

In my experience they are not reliable. They are always defective. That is the reason why they are being sold at such a low price. You get what you pay for. I feel better when i buy new products, because they come with a warranty.

I made up my mind a long time ago that i will never buy used electronics again. I will not waste my money anymore. I would suggest you do the same. You would save yourself a lot of time, and energy. I choose to pay a little extra, and get a new device.

I have burned to many times in the past. I have learned from my mistakes.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have tried buying pre-owned pc's and cellphones, and they were ok deals, except that one time, the seller did not specify that the phone has other hidden defects when I asked them if he's sure about it and the defect that he stated is the only defect that the phone has, but I still didn't give him a negative rating because I figured that you always get what you pay for. I still would buy 2nd hand items though if the seller has good feedback.

6. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I once bought a second hand laptop from a cash converter when I didn't have enough money to invest in a new one. They allegedly check every item carefully before they accept and re-sell it. This laptop was relatively new and cost me around $380 at the time. It had no problem apart from getting very hot and running slow at times. I took it to a computer guy who had to regularly clear out the air vents. It ran very well for almost 4 years before the LCD screen gave out.

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Once in a while when buying a used computer/phone, etc, you can be lucky to get one that's almost new at a very good price. The computer I use now was bought cheaply from a friend who was getting himself a new, faster computer. I've been using it for the past four years and it still shows no signs at it will stop working any time soon.

And when the time comes, I'll still buy one that has been used.

8. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    It all depends on the present condition of the computer. If it is in a good condition then I would not mind buying it. I love to buy factory refurbished computers as they are restored to full processing power and memory but only sell at half or a fraction of the price of a new product.