Buying second hand consoles.

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by prettycolors • Apr 2, 2014.

1. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I'm interested in buying a PS3 because I never owned one and I want to play the exclusive games. To save money I'm considering buying a used PS3, the market is flooded with them anyway (PS4 just got released). Now, I never bough used electronics since I fear they'll break down quickly so imagine how I feel about buying a used console.

Have you bough used consoles/electronics, what was your experience?

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I bought a used XBox when my original XBox broke after several years. I bought a refurbished one with a warranty, and I still use it. If you're going to buy a used PS3 on a site like Amazon, buy from the Amazon sellers that have an actual electronics business and a guarantee of some kind, not the college guys trying to offload their damaged old consoles, because they won't refund your money if something goes wrong.

3. blackbagel

blackbagelMember

Threads:
    I bought a second hand Wii once and it worked very well. Just check it out and test it with something, so that everything will work and it will probably work out fine. They don't accept refund in most of the places so make sure you want one. Also it can be dirty some times but you can just clean it your self. I would say to buy it from trusted vendors but like Craigslist would work too since you can test the console out yourself there.

4. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I bought a used ps2 once, although this was 7 years after release and I paid £40 for it. It broke within 1 day. I bought another one and it has lasted since 2011, so it's certainly possible that they may fail, but otherwise may last a very long time. An interesting thing to note is that I have a Sega Megadrive that is 22 years old and still working perfectly fine.

5. AB91000

AB91000Active Member

Threads:
    You should definitely be concerned.

Personally. I would not recommend that you buy a used PlayStation 3. Simpy because that platform has a history of fatal defects. Just do a simple Google search. You will see that the forums are flooded with complaints about it.

In my experience most used systems are defective. I learned a long time ago to ever waste my money on them. I would suggest you buy a new PlayStation 3. With the release of the PlayStation 4. I am sure that you can purchase a new PlayStation 3 at a very low price. Their market value has decreased severely over the last few months. Save yourself the headache, and buy a new system.

6. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Well, depends on who you're buying from. I tend to buy used electronics from actual electronic stores that offer them, also online, Amazon, I don't trust e-Bay that much. I bought a secondhand, actually a thirdhand (two people used it prior to me) and I got it for just under a $100 and after 5 years of use it's still running. If you're planning to buy a secondhand or refurbished device, check on the seller and check on the price, if someone's selling you an Xbox 360 for $30, then you might consider double taking.

7. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    I've never bought a used console, but I did sell a console before. There was absolutely nothing wrong with it, I just sold it because I didn't play it anymore.
    I don't think there's a reason to distrust people who are selling the consoles, there's usually nothing wrong with them, they are just trying to earn some money with something that is laying around the house useless.

8. starfox64

starfox64Active Member

Threads:
    As long as you offered some kind of warranty, go for it! Also, I'd use the 60% rule, myself. The 60% rule is a rule that I use in which the price of the used product must be at the most, 60% of the brand new product. If you can't find a used PS3 that is over 40% cheaper than a brand new one, I'd suggest just buying a new PS3.

9. streakanime

streakanimeMember

Threads:
    Buying used gaming consoles is bad news. At least when you get a new one, you can take it back, get it replaced, etc if there is something wrong. You are just out whatever you spent if you purchase something used. Unless you are getting a good deal or you are buying from a gaming store with a warranty, buying used is a bad idea.

New PS3 are only a few hundred dollars (which is a lot of money) but it is money well spent if you want the system to last for a while.

10. katherine25

katherine25Member

Threads:
    I have bought a second hand console before and I never had any problems but just make sure you test it out before you buy it and make sure the games work.

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    The only used console I ever bought was from my friend and I was comfortable in doing that since I've gotten to use that console for a long time and I was even there when he bought it. Otherwise I would also be a little skeptical when buying one off of a stranger. I think the most you could do to ensure that the console would last a long time would be to find the right seller. I'd be more comfortable with buying a used console off of someone who takes time to make their photographs look good and also the physical condition of the item should look good as well. I'd also prefer to be able to test it first, of course, and by doing that I think you could save a good amount of money by going with a second hand console instead of a new one without risking too much.

12. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For the most part, used consoles are a safe buy assuming the seller is honest about its condition. It's always better to purchase these types of hardware items in person to ensure that they turn on and work and everything. An online transaction is all right if you're protected by a given marketplace's buyer protection policy.

13. bodiesstretch

bodiesstretchNew Member

Threads:
    The only console I bought used was a PS2. I bought it 4 years ago. It still works as it did when I bought it. I maybe just got lucky. A few rules of thumb to keep in mind. Buy from a reputable seller. Make sure you use some form of buyer protection. If the seller is in your area, try to test the console at their place. The look of the house will give you an idea of the possible state of the console you're buying.

14. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never bought a second hand console although I've been planning to buy one. Some may think it's a cheap way of doing things, but I actually don't mind buying used consoles as long as they're still in good condition and do not have hidden defects. Well, I can swallow and endure minor scratches but not broken buttons or detached wiring.