Buying Smartphones on Ebay

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by adeleinthesea • Oct 14, 2013.

1. adeleinthesea

adeleintheseaNew Member

Threads:
    So has anyone out there bought a restored iphone or android on eBay? I see listings all the time for relatively cheaply priced phones in good condition. I admit I've bought an iphone before and it to my surprise it actually came in as described and worked perfectly until clumsy me broke that one, as well. I was wondering if anyone else has done this before and how it worked out for them. Is this the best way to buy new phones? What do you all think? Did I merely get lucky with my good find?

2. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I'll be completely honest when it comes to eBay and buying phones from there.
    For example after seeing a case on tv about this I was honestly surprised and later couldn't stop laughing at the situation (but that's beside the point).
    I would recommend searching "Judy Judy eBay scammer" because this was a case about a women who sold 2 phones and instead sent 2 pictures of cell phones. I would be very cautious when reading the description for the items.

3. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm glad that you received you iPhone with everything in tact. But I have also heard some accounts of unsatisfied customers who have purchased phones on eBay. I've got nothing against eBay and the sellers there. But I have second thoughts at buying items that are worth a considerable amount at eBay and other sites over the web. If you wanna buy a cellphone online, do it from a trusted source.

4. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:

I think that ebay has some pretty good deals when it comes to phones. I have brought both android and iphone from ebay and was very happy with both. Both phones came in a condition like new. They both worked great and were exactly like described on ebay I didn't have any problems. So I think ebay is a great place for a new phone if you don't want to spend an arm and a leg.

5. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    I think that it's impossible to generate a rule in this regard, as there are opinions for each situation. I haven't personal experience in buying cell phones through Ebay, but I can vouch for testimonials from my friends and family. In my country (Argentina) the cost of smarthphones is quite high, and that is why those who are used to buying online often rely on Ebay as the site for this very special order. None of my acquaintances had problems with that, and in fact, they got the product at the indicated time and without any kind of damage. Anyway we must sharpen our attention, because the scams are in the order of the day.

Based on the experience of my contacts, I think it's worth the risk, because the results are usually very positive and in many cases saving money is significant. Thanks for sharing your concern. :D

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have bought a brand new smartphone from Ebay last 2012, and it arrived perfectly and in good working condition. I won't buy a 2nd hand phone from Ebay, but if it's a brand new one from a reputable seller, then I'll buy one from them.

7. mareebaybay

mareebaybayActive Member

Threads:
    Honestly electronics are one of the few categories of items I would recommend buying on eBay. Ebay always has great deals on phones and electronics. Compared to getting clothes, buying electronics through eBay is almost safe, when using PayPal. Whenever you order something online you should always use PayPal which will give you the benefit of the doubt. I recommend making sure something is what it seems when using eBay. There will be times when there is a fake electronic device on there as well.

8. Kwizkey

KwizkeyNew Member

Threads:
    I would really not recommend buying a used device off Ebay, many are fakes and scams and more often than not, you won't find underlying problems in software etc until it's too late. I would always buy a smartphone new or off someone you know, but then again I don't get to buy that many smartphones because of the cost :p

9. dapperdileep

dapperdileepNew Member

Threads:
    Whatever you do, never think of trusting the reviews for a product! It is almost always paid! I wish there is an alternative way to judge the authenticity of products we buy online!

10. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    I've never bought one, but we've sold our old phones and an old iPad on Ebay. I guess I just tend to say be aware of the seller. There's a lot to be said for multiple pictures too.

My husband keeps all the original boxes, bags, receipts, everything, when he makes an electronics purchase that we know we're going to upgrade. We usually get a higher price because I think people realize that if you are anal enough to save everything, you are probably the kind of person who takes care of your stuff, you know?

Anyway, if we ever went the Ebay route for purchases like this, we'd look for sellers like us.