Buying special paper

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Gelsemium • Oct 14, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In the last days I was looking in several stores for some special kind of paper to do invitations, but I never managed to find it. I recall that a few years ago this sort of paper, even if expensive, was relatively easy to find, but it's not the case anymore. Maybe no one is buying this sort of paper anymore?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    They still sell them, but usually is stationers and art shops. I'm sure you can find them online as well. I would try department stores as they will stock them especially as they do gifts for weddings, christenings and other celebrations, they would offer the whole package.

3. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think they call it stock paper with a matte or gloss finish and various levels of thickness. I'm not sure. But it's a special paper used for printing postcards, newsletters, flyers, business cards and a bunch of other marketing paraphernalia. You can go to a supplies store and ask the attendant for a special paper, describing to her the specifics.

4. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Yep, I have experience with that because I've helped several friends and relatives to make their invitations, but all those stores you mention that used to sell this sort of paper no longer sell it, so I had to use regular paper, really strange...!

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Here, we are fortunate enough to have an office supply store chain that carries multiple types of paper ranging from the simplest to the special ones, in varying thicknesses, but even then they are still not complete and I agree that it is difficult to find specific types as I've also come across this problem once or twice in the past few years when I was trying to find some special paper for my paper craft type hobby.

6. Gelsemium

Threads:
    That is the question, we had a store that sold that sort of paper, but when it closed a little while back I realized that most likely it's the only store that sells that sort of paper in my region. To be honest I guess there's not much demand for it, so most likely it's not very profitable.

7. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    Try a stationery shop, or look online. Paper invitations are not very common anymore I think because most people do all their invites via email with the exception of things like weddings and graduations which are very formal. A stationery shop will still carry your old fashioned items like this as that is their specialty.

8. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Ha, now that's a nice tip. I am buying a lot of things online lately, but I never thought about getting paper. Somethings could go wrong with that though, the paper we see online might be different than the one that arrives and also might come not in the best conditions.