Buying The Right Size

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Denis Hard • Jan 1, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Someone who is trying to lose weight is more likely to deceive themselves that they'll shed some pounds in a few weeks and when shopping they'll buy clothes that they'll be donning once they are in shape. Deceptive thought? When shopping for clothes, it's better to buy clothes that fit you as this would save you some cash since there's no guarantee that you'll lose weight fast. And if you don't then it means that the money spent buying clothes you'd wear when you'd lost weight will be wasted.

Buy only the clothes that will fit you. When you lose weight, you can have them re-sized.

2. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    I think it's also more important when you get older as well, as it may take longer to lose the weight, if you're able to lose it in the first place. People may try to use it as an incentive but in the real world we have to get on with living with what we already own. In that context, it makes no sense to buy smaller clothes in hope and expectation. And if the clothes still don't fit, it could also get a bit depressing!

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For some women it's an incentive to lose weight, but stores also size accordingly. Some size very generously so people don't feel too big when they buy clothes especially designer clothes. For example a Gap size 4 could be a Gucci size 2. I find Gap still to be fairly generous with their sizing, so the best thing for women is to try on the clothes. I think menswear tends to be quite standard, and either fitted or classic. Women sizes are physiological, at one point I would never buy anything bigger than a 10 (US 6) and once sizing varied I stopped caring and went for comfort.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to be guilty of buying clothes that are too tight for me because I really liked the design, and that was their biggest size already, so I still bought it and just hoped that I will eventually lose weight in the future. Turns out I did not lose weight, but the shirts were cheap anyway, ranging only from $2 to $7, so it's not much of a loss.

5. LitoLawless

LitoLawlessActive Member

Threads:
    I've never thought of having my clothes resized. I have some clothes that fit when I bought them but don't fit/is a struggle to get on now. I use THAT as motivation for my weight loss, because some of the pieces are clothes that I really like and would wear all the time. When I go shopping now, I kind of buy clothes that are in between the size I was and the size I might be now. I feel like that works out the best. Since we are in the colder months, I factor in how it would fit if I were to layer up as well.

6. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hehe I have to say I'm guilty as charged! I have done that in the past and it has resulted in a waste of money as I've not actually lost enough weight to fit into those clothes; a lesson well learnt!! The good thing is, it's not been a total waste as I've got three sisters who love clothes and they've benefited from that. It's a good thing we have similar taste in clothes and we are of similar sizes, although I'm a bit curvier than them. I guess I'm just not as driven as some people to see it as incentive enough to jump through hoops just to fit into that prized item. Nowadays If it doesn't fit, I cut my losses and move on.

7. alfredsettle

alfredsettleBanned

Threads:
    After i shop today, When i type of invest in apparel which might be in between your sizing When i ended up being and the sizing I will always be today. If your apparel still tend not to fit, it could actually also have a touch gloomy.

8. nonsiccus

nonsiccusActive Member

Threads:
    One of the biggest factor regarding whether or not clothing looks good on you comes down to how well it fits your body. This doesn't mean you have to have an amazingly slender or athletic body, but that the cut of the particular article of clothing suits your body type and size.

For example, someone with a slender waist and wide shoulders should avoid clothing that's tight around the shoulders while large in the stomach area - it'd leave the shirt looking awkward. Instead, something that drapes over the shoulder but pulls in at the waist slightly would better accentuate their triangular figure. Conversely, wearing a shirt that's tight around the waist if you have a bit of a belly (and who doesn't, following the holidays?) would serve to highlight an unattractive feature.

9. tournique

tourniqueActive Member

Threads:
    Consider tailoring more expensive clothes if they do not fit properly. Of course, I do not mean tshirts and polos but more expensive wear. I used to buy some slim fit clothes while I was going to the gym and I encountered the issue of gaining mass too fast. I got huge and went from S to M in a few weeks and pretty much all of my tshirts/shirts looked like they were bought -1 size. My advice is that if you want to gain weight to buy a flexible modern fit style and if you want to lose, well go for the slim fits and always take it to the tailor.

10. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I always buy things in my size, so I've never really had problems in wasting money that way. The problem that I've had is that I start gaining weight and my pants don't fit anymore, but I'd rather wait and work out to try and slim down a little before going off and buying a new one.

11. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't like buying clothes that are too tight, or that I am aware of constantly when I wear them. For example, I don't like tight jeans where I have to open the buttons when I sit down, or that cling tightly to my buttocks. I also don't like tight shirts, as I live in a tropical climate and don't want sweat stains on my clothes. I like comfortable clothes that are made of good quality materials, such as cotton or linen.

12. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Buying new clothes when you're on a diet and getting them a size smaller because you plan on losing weight is not smart. Sure , it could be that you do end up losing the weight and that the outfit does end up fitting you perfectly. However every time that I do that I end up never wearing the outfit because I never lose as much as I thought I would. Even if you do, there's no guarantee that the outfit will even fit you. Take a pair of jeans for example, there's no guarantee that if you lose weight your thighs will be small enough to fit a size smaller. You never know where you're going to lose weight in your body. It's so hard!

13. selina

selinaMember

Threads:
    Loosing weight is very slow process in my point of view, except use of weight lose supplements. By the way population of bigger people is increasing and so that plus size clothing are most demanding in market these days even designers think about plus size fashionable clothing and it will look better whenever you lose your weight.

14. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    I used to buy clothes a size or two too small if I really liked them and got a good deal from the thrift store. But usually they just end up sitting in the closest waiting to be warn. I find it best to buy a few pieces that fit now, and once I lose weight, buy a few more. So I'm not buying huge amounts of clothing at once.