Buying Used Makeup Online

Discussion in Online Shopping started by Mackmax • Jan 19, 2015.

1. Mackmax

MackmaxMember

Threads:
    Buying used makeup online sounds very sketchy, and I absolutely refuse to buy any used eye products, even if it has only been opened and not used.
    Many people sell fake make-up products online, and this is VERY dangerous, as authentic makeups have been tested and approved for safe use, whereas fake makeups are made of god knows what, and have not been approved for use. Fake makeup products can break you out, burn your skin, cause infections, and much worse.
    However, I found a site called Glambot where you can buy used makeup online at a discounted price, and they thoroughly clean and disinfect all of the products before listing them. You can also ship your own makeup products on there, and they will pay you for them. I've heard nothing but good things about this site, and I'd recommend to all of you who love luxury brands such as MAC or Dior, but can't fade the $50 price tag.

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think I could ever trust used makeup. It would give me the heebie jeebies and I have no idea how you can effectively clean most makeup. I would still worry about the bacteria. Do you know the process they use?

3. Sunshine

SunshineActive Member

Threads:
    Wow I have never heard of that, I will have to check out the website.

I can understand the want to sell your makeup - I just recently bought a blush and the color is awful, so I'd be happy to sell it and get some money back.

But the idea of using a stranger's makeup.... ahhh... I just can't go for it. I don't know, there just seems something wrong with that. I wonder if this is something the FDA would comment on?

4. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's an interesting idea. What if you spend $50 on a designer lipstick and find that the color looks terrible on you?
    You only used it once and now that $50 is gone. I can sort of see where Glambot's service could work,
    but I would want to know more about the sterilization process. You can't just stick makeup in an autoclave, so what are they using?

5. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would never buy used makeup. I developed Pink Eye when I used a friend's mascara. I learned my lesson. I don't care about any sterilization process.

6. thatnewmommy

thatnewmommyActive Member

Threads:
    I heard about this on another site. I don't know how the sterilization process is, but nope, no way. How can I even be guaranteed that the sterilization process won't affect the product? heck. How can I be guaranteed that it actually IS sterilized. This isn't like buying 2nd hand clothes that you can wash. I've never had pink eye but I don't even want to risk it. Used make-up is anti-hygienic. I even throw away my own make-up if I haven't used it for a while. I don't think this site is going to last long.

7. ann charlotte solheim

ann charlotte solheimNew Member

Threads:
    I don't think I would ever buy used makeup online. Some may even be scams. It just doesn't sound very hygenic or good, even if it's said to be sterilized, you don't know.
    I think you should just go to the store if you want some new makeup, atleast you know it's safe and you can see what fits you.

8. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For certain items like false eyelashes, they only accept them brand new.
    They only sell luxury brands like Givenchy, because if you're going to get cheap stuff ,you might as well get it new.
    If you send them a box of 20 used items that have no dirt or mold and include designer makeup brands like YSL, you can get paid up to $600. It's crazy to me that people spend so much money on cosmetics.
    I'll just stick to Rimmel and ELF from the drugstore.

9. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    I read the title and thought, That sounds disgusting.
    I would in general not buy make up from the internet. Like clothes, I prefer it when I can try it on me. Less chances of a bad choice/bad color etc.
    But USED make up? Nope, nope, I cannot imagine anything you could use to talk about makeup that would make me want to buy it less.

10. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Em, no way! It just doesn't sound hygienic at all, and I'd be surprised if the site had many takers! It's not advised to share things such as combs and makeup. I mean, I won't even share my eyeliner and mascara with ANYONE; so to buy second hand stuff from someone I've never even met is a no-no for me! How do you even go about sterilising something like liquid foundation, powder etc?!

11. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have sold used make-up on eBay before now and can understand why others would want to buy it. However, I am too concerned about eye infections to use anyone else's cosmetics. I did buy a used nail lacquer once though, it had only been used once and didn't suit the seller. It was a colour I'd been wanting to buy for a while but just couldn't justify the price (it was a Chanel polish) so when I saw it on eBay at a quarter of it's original price, I thought I'd take a chance.

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, maybe the site would attract people not fussy with hygiene who are into designer make-up? Anyway, I think buying cheap make-up in China is a bit better than buying a used one, given the history of the quality of products and substandard ingredients from China. At least it's brand new.

13. xHysteria

xHysteriaNew Member

Threads:
    You should never purchase used make-up! Always buy brand new ones, then you know that it hasn't been contaminated with any bacteria from the last person who was using it. It's like buying food, would you want to buy something someone else has already eaten?

14. Nikole

NikoleMember

Threads:
    Makeup is one of the only things I will not purchase used or even purchase knock-offs of, for fear of infection or irritation. The one time I purchased something used (sanitized from a friend who had a blog sale) I was honestly too grossed out by the fact it had been used to even use the item! I learned my lesson that I am just not one of those people who can get past the used/potential germ factor. The site you mentioned that sanitizes the makeup first seems like it's a really good idea for people who don't mind, though. I just have issues with germs that I would never be able to get over! I know some of my friends buy used from people they know, and they generally sanitize lipsticks, eye shadows, blushes, etc. with an alcohol solution.

15. S.O. Price

S.O. PriceActive Member

Threads:
    Yikes. I would never buy used make-up. It just isn't worth it. Any make-up worn around the eyes is particularly vulnerable to bacteria, then possible infection. Even nail polish could have been used on toenails that have fungus or some other horrible thing. I'm all for hunting up great bargains, but there are some lines I won't cross.

16. ABC123

ABC123Member

Threads:
    I understand the idea that you may not want to waste make up that you just spent money on, because it did not look good you on, but trying to sell it would not be a method in which I would have thought to get rid of it. I guess I would ask friends or co-workers if they wanted to give it a try. Maybe even give it young girls for dress up and pretend. My first thought when I was the original post was that if someone was selling it must of had a bad reaction for them. Personally, I would not purchase nor sell used make up.

17. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can't see this as a good idea at all as even beauty consultants throw away testers. What I used to do was scrape off the top layer and then give it away if a staff member wanted it. The only thing you could buy is nail polish, but any other make up I wouldn't touch unless it was sealed. Even in stores I have to check it's never been opened or used.

18. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    I'm a guy so I don't know the intricacies of make-up buying. But in my head, the idea of buying used make up really doesn't appeal. It just sounds like one of those items that simply has to be bought new. Maybe I'm missing the point and maybe there's a valid reduction in waste consideration. But I'd rather do without than reuse.

19. kana_marie

kana_marieActive Member

Threads:
    For me I think used makeup is right up there with used underwear, deodorant, and razors. If I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that it was completely clean I still couldn't use it. I guess its just one of those "I don't know where its been" type of things.

20. Flowerpower

FlowerpowerMember

Threads:
    I was surprised that people actually sell used makeup, it's not something I would do. What if someone who has cold sores sells you their lipstick? I'm sure there's no way the website can guarantee the general health of the customers. It's just very icky for me.