Buying what we don't need

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Gelsemium • May 5, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Some things are so cheap that we can't resist buying them, but we really don't need them lol. This happened to me this weekend when I bought some Angry Birds juice for my kids, I was caught by the package! :rolleyes: What products have this effect on you?

Angry-Birds-branded-fruit-juices-touch-down-in-Thailand_dnm_homepage.

2. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I know this is a food and drink forum, but I used to be obsessed with buying colognes and new dress shirts. At the time I lived right by a mall, so when I would get off work, I would go walking around the mall for several hours in the evening, then wind up buying new cologne and a new outfit to go out with later that night. My boss and some other friends of ours were going out to dinner and drinks like several times a week, and each time I kept feeling like I should wear something new, for some silly reason. It got so bad that I eventually had to start donating stuff to GoodWill because my closet was far too packed.

The cashiers at Dillard's even started joking with me that I was in there so often buying stuff. Although they treated me like royalty when I walked in, lol, because they knew I was about to shop up a storm with them. They used to throw fist fulls of sample colognes in my bags whenever I shopped there.

3. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    My answer is related to electronics, not food, but I'll share anyway.

Used consoles are the thing I buy on the spot, sometimes without needing. I often go to the flea market and I became a collector of old games and the machines they play on. They're cheap and some rare ones can be resold for great profit online. Unfortunately I purchase all that I find, even if I can resell or not. As a result all my storage space is full of old consoles and controllers. I really need to stop :rolleyes:

4. Gelsemium

Threads:
    LOL prettycolors, why are you buying stuff you don't need? Are you rich? :p

Apart from stuff to my kids, when they behave of course, the only thing that makes me lose my head is tennis stuff, I could buy loads of tennis shoes and T-shirts. Fortunately for me they are too expensive, so I don't this often at all.

5. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    That is too cute! I like to say that I don't buy things that I don't need because of the packaging, but I might be telling a bit of a story if I were to say that. I try to avoid it when I can, though.

6. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    When it comes to food and drink it happens all the time to me if I go shopping on an empty stomach, I just put random stuff into the cart as I go about getting the things I actually need :)
    Then I get home and realize that maybe I don't need 4 different kinds of cookies around the house...

7. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    LOL, I do know what you mean. I'm a lot more likely to buy extra foods and snacks when I'm starving at the grocery store. I'm also more likely to buy extras when I take my BF shopping with me.

8. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I never buy stuff because of the package too, but Angry Birds, my kids and I have a long story together, so that seemed adequate at the time. If you ask me, there are still unopened, I am waiting for a special day to treat them with those. :)

9. Plinko

PlinkoMember

Threads:
    I buy any gluten free foods that are marked way down or on clearance. I don't care if I already have a dozen muffin mixes, if I find one that's on closeout, I'll buy it. GF foods are so expensive, so I grab what I can when I find it super-cheap. A few weeks ago, I found some gf pretzels for 99 cents (normally five dollars a bag or so). I bought them, even though I've never liked pretzels. I opened the bag and was surprised by how much I loved those pretzels! I will buy them again at full price, but I am glad I was able to test them out when they were marked down.

10. Gelsemium

Threads:
    So that's not exactly buying what you don't need Plinko, but I think I get what you mean. Just the other day I was in the supermarket and they had a lot of cookies in promotion and I bought them super-cheap. For that price I would be crazy not to do it.

11. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    I might also by them if I can see them on the supermarket nearby.

WE buy because we can afford. Later you will realize that you really have to buy things for fun than just not buying at all just because you wanted to save money.

12. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    I've actually been trying to curb my extra spending. If I don't absolutely NEED it, I won't buy it. I've also taken to keeping a little notebook and pen in my purse, and writing down the amount of every purchase. That way I can look at it and see how much I've already spent. It's a nice way of budgeting too.

My friend constantly buys things that she doesn't actually need, and she's constantly complaining about how she has no money. :/

13. ebby23

ebby23Member

Threads:
    I am guilty of always buying things that I don't need. Of course, the fancy packaging always catching my attention in the grocery store and I feel the need to pick it up and place it in my cart, just because. I was recently in the store and seen the new Cheerios box with the "Must Be The Honey" bee. The box was black with the bee on the front and it look really cool. I just had to buy it. The crazy thing is, I rarely eat.

14. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    Lol, those little juices are super adorable! I have this issue with anything cute and small as well as if the object has one of my favourite TV shows on it. I can't hlp myself, I can be drawn to it so fast. I went to China Town once and found Sailor Moon stickers, they were $1, but I knew that I wouldn't use it. But, I thought that they were so cute and I had to have them! And, of course, I bought them in the end and they're just sitting here with me at home collecting dust. :(

15. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I have to say this one of my weakness going in the store and picking up stuff just because it looks good or it cute. Just the other day I bought about 8 shirts all because they had some crazy funny writing on the shirts. I know I will probably never wear them but I just bought them anyway. I guess that I will have to give them to some family members.

16. Gelsemium

Threads:
    LOL, that's something I would never do, lose my head over clothes. I think my clothes purchases well and I can't recall the last time I bought something I didn't wear. As for food is simpler to buy by impulse because it's way cheaper.

17. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am guilty of purchasing pretty bottles. I like to go to second hand stores to see what is there, often if there are pretty bottles, shapes or colors they go home with me. I have a collection of decanters worth a couple hundred dollars. One decanter sells for more than $100 right now, I think I paid $20 for it. It is hard to talk myself out of purchasing a pretty bottle.

18. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    Look around your home, 90% of what you own is stuff you don't "need". I am somewhat of a minimalist when it comes to buying things I do not need, but I am as guilty as everyone else. We don't probably need half of our clothing or dishes but it saves us having to do laundry every day if we own more.

Really, I think you are talking about impulse buys. I periodically look at my grocery bills and get a highlighting pen and mark my impulse buys. It often amounts to 25% of my grocery bill. It isn't because I am buying a lot of impulse items, but because they are on sale but never cheap. My most recent error was shopping on the way home after a long bike ride when lunch was way overdue. I don't even remember walking down the ice cream aisle let alone stuffing it in my pack to cart home but somehow it got here.

19. malia

maliaMember

Threads:
    well like you, if i see a favorite tv show or movie par-finial on the package im more likely to buy it. also, if a celebrity endorses i can't help but to think "i'm going to look liike so and so so i should buy this product. yeah, spending my parents money is why i'm always in trouble now. :(

20. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    With books. When the bookstore are on sale, I tend to buy bulks of books, which I am not able to read at all. Or sometimes after reading some first few pages, I realize that I am not interested with the book I bought. Sometimes, because I bought too many, I am not able to read many of them. Up until now from a year ago, I still have books stashed on my shelves I haven't even put out the plastic covering yet.