Buying your own equipment gradually or paying a gym forever?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by oldwriter • Aug 13, 2014.

1. oldwriter

oldwriterMember

Threads:
    The option of buying your own equipment to eventually stop paying monthly memberships sounds appealing.

If you aren't a professional athlete, when you start buying your own equipment incrementally on the side you can eventually get to the point of having all of the equipment you require for meeting your exercise needs completely.

Would you agree to make this investment, little by little, or would you prefer to pay a gym membership in perpetuity?

2. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would never buy my own equipment, I would rather pay for a gum forever, for the simple fact that I can't workout at home. I love going to the gym, seeing the "hot" and fit people around... It inspires me. Also the environment of a gym is nice, you have distractions, classes, company. I hate working out alone at home.

3. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Not everyone has the room for all that equipment in the house or in their yard. However, I'd rather buy all of the equipment over the course of a year or two and then wind up with a real home gym. I don't need to go to the gym for motivation, and I can see attractive people whenever I leave the house. You can save thousands over a few years by going this route, and I can't see why you wouldn't do it.

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'd much rather just enroll in a gym forever because buying equipment would probably just cost just as much if not more and at least if I just went to the gym I'd have an extra room free to be used for other things whereas if I put in gym equipment the I pretty much would have to keep it there indefinitely considering gym equipment surely wouldn't be easy to move around nor do I think it would be advisable.

5. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    I'd much rather keep hitting the gym. I'm going there in a few minutes actually..
    The gym was a place where I made a lot of very good friends. Almost like a second family even... But I do Martial Arts so it's different than most people's experience with the gym.
    As far as simply getting fit goes, I could buy a bunch of stuff and work out at home...
    You don't really need that much space as some people might think. If you can skip rope inside your house, if have enough space.
    But I wouldn't do it. I really like the gym for several reasons.

6. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    I am slowly building my own home gym. It's a matter of preference, though, and how much space you have at home. Some people like going to the gym because they can train with buddies and stuff. And sometimes, it just feels different when you're working out at home. But I like how I can go to my home gym anytime I want. It's just more convenient for me, especially because the gyms near my place aren't really great.

7. Navii

NaviiActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really have space at home, but some dumbbells can be used everywhere. I use them whenever I feel like doing something for my body, but I don't want to drive all the way to the gym.

8. allswl

allswlActive Member

Threads:
    I do not buy heavy workout equipment simply because I do not have the space in my home for them. So I have a Selecttech dumbbell, exercise bands and a pull-up bar. Every couple of months or so I will go to the gym for a whole month just to add variety to my workouts.

9. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I'll always invest in a gym membership because simply the act of going gets me into a good workout routine. It's very easy to get distracted with a workout at home and cheat yourself out of good workout. Gym memberships are very reasonable these days and there always good offers available to people. I do understand why people prefer to workout for him and the necessity of doing so, but making time for the gym is something I'll always keep into my schedule for good health

10. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    If I have the means I'll definitely buy my own fitness equipment. It's a lot more convenient to be able to work out at home, and at any time I want. I don't like paying for membership because I feel that if I don't go there often enough, I won't get my money's worth. I'm also wary that some of these gyms usually have some kind of scheme in it that is lopsided to the club.

11. AugustGreig

AugustGreigMember

Threads:
    Depending on what exactly it is that you are doing, buying your own equipment is just fine. For example, if you are lifting weights, you can easily pick up what you need used as you need it. Since you are going to be increasing your weight gradually anyway, it is actually an ideal situation. Especially because you won't need much to start. But if you want to swim, take classes and a whole bunch of other stuff, join a gym or the YMCA.