Buying Zimdollars (zimbabwe Dollars) On Ebay?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by ExpertAdvice • Jun 12, 2015.

1. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    I came across an article written in one of the most prominent newspapers in my country and I was astonished. People are actually selling Zimbabwe dollars on eBay, and this is real Zimbabwe dollars! not fakes!
    I am appalled for a number of reasons, 1) is this really how poor Zimbabwe is?
    2) is this a conscious or unconscious black market foreign exchange technique used by Zimbabweans to earn stronger currency?
    3) What really is Zimbabwe going to become- I mean, how much does anything there cost; because clearly, if a person can sell 100 trillion dollars from Zimbabwe on eBay for a couple US dollars-things are very expensive there.
    I would buy, but only for souvenir purposes!

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Someone buys the Zimbabwean dollars so they can be millionaires. If you buy 50 million Zimbabwean dollars that doesn't make you a millionaire?

But whether buying Zimbabwean dollars is illegal or not, since they'll be of no value to me, I wouldn't buy them not even as souvenirs.

3. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's not illegal. People have foreign currencies all the time as souvenirs or because they forgot to exchange the currency back upon coming home. Zimbabwe is dealing with hyperinflation, one of the few countries to reach that point. Its currency is worth nothing, and Zimbabwe citizens selling their currency is a smart idea because they can easily get more from curious or amused buyers than they can buy with that same money at home. It's a smart tactic, and Zimbabwe is screwed as a country.

4. tasxx

tasxxMember

Threads:
    Huh, that's interesting. I find that it's so sad that people are resorting to selling their currency on eBay because of inflating issues. It sort of reminds me of the hyperinflation pictures from the great depression in the USA and Germany. It's a pretty smart idea as troutski said but I just think it's super sad.