Cab rides

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Gelsemium • Apr 30, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Usually there are plenty of alternatives to taking a cab, but sometimes we just get one because it's faster and more convenient, but the thing is, do we really need to?

Do you that the cab? How often do you do it?

2. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    Well in the UK we have taxis and mini cabs.

I try not to get a taxi because in London they are rather expensive, but the times I normally get them are on a Saturday night/Sunday Morning after a night out when I'd rather do anything than get on the night buses with every idiot in England.Don't get me wrong, taxis might be expensive in London, but they are bloody good and know the short cuts to get you to your destination quicker than mini cabs where I have to direct them all the way and pay them for the privilege.

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I have only used a cab a few times.

When I have, it was usually known in advance that I needed one, so I was able to split the cost with someone else. For example, I needed a cab to get from the airport to my hotel room and back again for a conference I was attending. Well there were other people attending who would have similar schedules, so I just made plans to split the cost with a couple of them! Everybody wins.

4. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I've never heard about those mini cabs dean, what are these mini cabs?

Yes, taking a cab after a night out is an exception I concede myself too. If I am planning on have a few drinks I usually go out using public transportations and return by taxi, it's a little expensive, but way safer than driving after drinking.

5. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I never really opted for a cab in the past but since I have a young baby, getting a cab is always a choice than a bus. I also really need the privacy because I don't like strangers touching my baby all the time like pinching her cheek and holding her hand. You know, public transports are not clean so I don't want my baby to catch more illness from that.

6. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Well, being in a baby in public transportations can be hard, but if you have him by your body with a baby sling it's pretty private. On a cab how would you carry it? You would need to take your own chair or how is it the safest?

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have only taken a cab when I was a kid and I was with my parents, and also during the time that I was in college and I didn't know how to go to a certain place, so I took a cab to be able to go there. I really haven't taken a cab ride for a long time because they can be quite expensive, and meter tampering is quite rampant.

8. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I don't take the cab often either, in fact, I don't remember the last time I took one. I used to ride it a lot with my mother when I was a kid, but these days I have a car so no need for it really. Only if some emergency appears and I need to take one probably.

9. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on the situation really. I myself don't take cab rides since I can just walk to work/home even though the distance is a few meters farther from what you'd normally call a walking distance. But if I'm running late or in a hurry, or if the weather isn't as great as the weatherman predicted, I just hail a cab, I'd rather pay a few dollars than get soaked.

10. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I rarely take a cab anywhere, I usually use either the bus, subway or the train, depending on the distance.
    The cabs are just too expensive to be a viable alternative for me, I only use them when going back home from a night out and have no other alternatives...

11. ebby23

ebby23Member

Threads:
    I rarely take a cab anywhere. The last time I took a cab was when I was in Savannah, GA for St. Patricks day. This was my first year up there for the celebration and since we were going to be drinking, a cab was the safest way to arrive home after a long night of partying.

#11May 10, 2014
    Last edited: May 10, 2014
  12. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I ride a cab only whenever I need to. If I am really late and that happens to be the fastest ride I could take, I take it. I don't bother about the money. I don't really consider the convenience. What concerns me is the time. But sometimes getting a cab consumes a long time that instead I arrive on time, I arrive late. During the time I know when it would not be efficient to ride a cab, I avoid it and take the other way of commuting either by riding a different segment ride or by walking.

13. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Possibly that will depend on your income and the job you have 003, I can tell you that I could never act like you do. Sure, I could take a cab, but I would not do it unless it's an emergency because it's really expensive. I guess that having a car also puts this in perspective.

14. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I know a guy who takes cabs everywhere he goes just as long as there is a cab available. Even if his destination is just two blocks away he'll hop into a cab but he makes so much money that I think he feels doesn't feel the pinch. I suppose in some cases, how much you earn determines if you can afford some of these luxuries.

If I earned a lot, I wouldn't hesitate to use a cab anytime because you at least don't have to worry about parking spots, parking fees, etc.

15. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    I take a cab once or twice a year and I send the bill to my public transit company. It is about a $20 fare from downtown to my home and sometimes I need to catch the last bus of the evening home. Once or twice a year it just doesn't show up. If I have already wasted half an hour waiting for an invisible bus, I am not in the mood to be walking home. You might be surprised to know that the transit system will pay my cab fare in these cases (less the price of bus fare).

There are other occasions where I will take a cab if I am doing something special (dressed all fancy) and the bus doesn't go close enough to risk getting caught out in the rain.

16. Jrh2

Jrh2Member

Threads:
    The only time I use taxis is when I go away for the weekend and we take a taxi to the hotel instead of having to carry suitcases on public transport and taxis late at night as we don't like to be wandering around lost at night so a taxi is quicker. I would never use a taxi at home as they are too expensive.

17. Gelsemium

Threads:
    That's true, it's not by accident that people say that the more you earn, the more you spend. Possibly if I had a larger income I would incorporate certain conveniences in my life and I would not even notice that those are luxuries that most people simply can't afford.

18. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I think that's the perfect situation to get a cab in, especially being St Paddy's Day :D
    If you go out drinking the be sure to keep some money for the cab ride home when you are ordering...

19. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Well, you got that right, I was forgetting about that part. The best situation to get a cab is when we are going out at night, we drink a little too much and we can't drive, so the cab is the perfect option for a happy end of our night. Don't hesitate in calling one if you drink, it can save your live!

20. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I rarely take a cab because I like to walk. I will take a cab if I am going a very long distance and can't walk (job interview, etc.) or if it is late and I am alone. I also take a cab if I have been drinking. Otherwise I don't see the need for a cab and would rather save the money.