Cabbage & Potatoes - "bubble & Squeak"

Discussion in Food & Drink started by ohiotom76 • May 30, 2015.

1. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    After watching this recipe recently, it got me in the mood to make a batch of cabbage and potatoes myself.

I especially liked the idea of making a pan gravy out of the roasted onions like that to go over the sausages. I didn't have any sausage on hand, so I didn't make the recipe exactly like he did.

Instead, I just peeled and diced a few red potatoes, and cut up a head of cabbage and threw both into a pan with about a 1/2 cup of water and some vegetable oil. Then I seasoned it with a garlic pepper seasoning mix, and put a lid on it to let it steam until the veggies were tender. Once they were tender, I removed the lid and let the excess moisture evaporate off - and added a smidge more oil to help in browning the mixture a bit.

I think next time I may try transferring it to a baking dish and broiling it to brown it instead - and maybe even add some diced ham or some crumbled bacon as well. It's a super cheap dish too!

2. Heather_Rose

Heather_RoseNew Member

Threads:
    Thank you- I have heard of 'bubble and squeak', but never knew what exactly it consisted of. I'll have to try it; cabbage and potatoes are common items on my grocery list!
    The one time I bought a sausage like the coiled skewered one in the video, it was on discount, and I pulled out the skewers, and stripped it of the casing to use the meat in pasta! This meal looks tasty, though- I'll try it next week :D

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Bubble and squeak is very traditional in British cafes and is an old favorite, a bit like hash browns but adding the cabbage. It's still a nice side dish, but these days you find it less as other items like potato skins and waffles are more popular. I used to have it at school dinners as a child and with gravy is good comfort food.

4. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Watching that video almost made my stomach churn even though I already had my dinner. What's great about the cabbage and potato recipe is that it's simple and does not require too many ingredients other than cabbage, potatoes and the other stuff mentioned earlier (e.g. seasoning, oil, etc). In my native land, we usually have different uses for cabbage and potatoes so seeing them blended that way - bubble squeak, you say - is just interesting and giving me a few ideas for future dishes.

5. Jannnnjan

JannnnjanActive Member

Threads:
    I often use up leftover vegetables from the Sunday roast by frying them up so that they become a mush. I cook them with bacon as well. This is what Bubble and squeak is to me and has been in my family for generations.
    The name comes from the sound of frying cabbage - it does actually bubble and squeak!

6. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm a fam of bubble & squeak although I have to admit that every panful is different. Sometimes there'll be mash and other times, there'll be leftover sauteed potatoes. As well as any leftover veg I might have, I'll also throw a bit of ham or cooked sausage in there too if I've got some. Chicken works well too.

7. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    That does sound like a delicious and cheap meal, I will have to give it a try. My guess is that it is European based on the name. They have some cute names for different things. I bet it would taste even more amazing with some chopped up sausage added, the beef kind, not pork.

8. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I believe bubble and squeak is an Irish meal, my husband talks about his mother making it when he was boy. I've made it before and it is indeed a cheap, inexpensive meal and also very tasty. I serve it with sausages on the side or ham. Adding bacon to it gives it another layer of flavour as well, since both the cabbage and potatoes are bland. Definitely comfort food.

9. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's a pretty good dish you have prepared of cabbage and potato. Our only recipe for that is the mix of corned beef with strips of cabbage and potato cubes. After sauteing the corned beef in garlic and onions, the potato cubes are mixed and when somewhat tender, the cabbage strips are poured to boil for 3 to 5 minutes so as not to lose the texture.