Cabins?

Discussion in Travel started by Waynefire • Feb 14, 2015.

1. Waynefire

WaynefireActive Member

Threads:
    I have always wanted to go into the mountains and stay in a cabin. However, I know these are a little bit more pricey than a hotel room because you are staying in a house for petes sake. My question is, is the cost of the cabin in the mountains worth it or not?

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You want to experience the stay in a cabin, the price should not matter, it is the experience you want so the question is do you want the experience or not? When you truly want something price is not the first thing you think of, it is how will you feel in the cabin while you are there.

3. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You might be surprised. You may be able to find a resort with cottages/cabins or a stand alone cabin that is comparable in price to a hotel room (and probably much nicer than a hotel room). Also, if you're not looking to go at a particular time, say for a special occasion, you can take advantage of off season rates. If it's just something you want to do some time, ask if there are discounted rates during "low season," which is whenever the least popular time to visit that area is.

I've recently been looking at hotels, bed and breakfasts, resorts, and stand alone rentals, and I've found some very nice ones all comparable in price to hotels that offer similar amenities. I much prefer a cabin or cottage.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I depends where you go and who you book from. Private rentals can be negotiated, but it may be better to rent one one where there are a number of them as Zyni said on a resort if you are not used to it and may need help.

It also depends on how long you want to stay. Longer stays can be cheaper, but you could look on websites where owners rent out their cabins and see if you can negotiate.

5. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's true too. Longer stays tend to be discounted. If you rent a cabin for a full week instead of just a weekend, you can probably get a bit of a break. For single night stays, the rate can often be quite a bit higher (if they even allow single nights to be booked... some don't).

It's also a good idea to book it pretty far in advance, especially if you do plan to go during high season. Their reservation books fill up fast, even months in advance. You will also likely be required to give a deposit up front that's enough to cover at least one night's stay.

I wrote down a list of questions I wanted to ask and then phoned. It takes a bit of planning, but I think it is worth it.

6. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    If you do your research, you can find something reasonable. A few years back, my family wanted to meet somewhere central to all of us as we are all pretty spread out. We found a great cabin on over 100 acres, literally on the side of a mountain in Arkansas that slept 15 of us quite comfortably. It was one of the best trips we've taken. We were completely secluded and, once we split the stay (3 nights) between all of us, it ended up being less than $200/family. Considering the experience we had, we thought it was an excellent deal.

7. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are some really beautiful places to visit or stay in Arkansas. There are really nice places all over, but yeah, it does take some looking.

That was a clever plan to get everyone together without any one person/family having to go too far out the way for the trip. You probably would have spent at least $200 for a family to stay in a hotel for 3 nights, and that's for an average hotel, nothing special. It sounds like you got a good deal and had a great time.

8. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    I personally don't prefer it because basically, if you stay in a cabin, that's all you can do. If you are the type of person who really enjoys breathtaking views and will be satisfied by just looking at that view, then by all means spending for a cabin will be worth it. However, if you are the type who would like to explore other places, it's not quite practical to spend a lot on a cabin because then you won't really have much time to maximize your stay in there because you would prefer to be out and about.

9. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    That's interesting, the only people who I know to go in cabins are people who own one or who have friends who own one. Either as a romantic breakaway or as a friends weekend -- and they all seem to ejoy it (but then agaiin, why would they buy one if they didn't?)

Have to say though, they usually either like it for the calm and isolation, or because they have friends, beer, a skidoo and other things to entertain themselves.

I'd say you should try it though. Even if 100 people said it is not worth it, it could still be the best choice for you.

10. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    We had no internet, no television and a very weak cell phone signal while we were at the cabin we rented, and yet not a single person was bored for one second (even the ten year olds!). We were constantly out exploring, hiking, fishing, and enjoying the calm. At night we played cards and board games or sat by the fire. My husband, born and raised in New York City and who has lived in cities his entire life, was in awe of the clear night sky. It was nice to get away from the hustle and bustle for a few days.

11. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    It would depend on a lot on the location and time of year. For instance if there are ski locations nearby and it's the skiing season prices for cabins would be really high. You could save considerably more by going there off-season if you have other activities planned instead of skiing.

12. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on how big and location, that's usually what matter most regarding cabins. So places charge ridiculous prices simply because of its location, while more remote cabins charge less due to less visitors. Also, if I do rent a cabin or sorts, I will rent one that will accommodate more than two people because if I simply wanted a room to store my stuff and sleep then I will go with a motel or hotel room instead.

13. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    Cabins are really cool thing to live and i would definitely want to live in one of them it is a great experience you have to do everything by yourself. i think it will be a wonderful experience and everybody would love it unless you are totally dependent on someone else every time.