Cable Cutting with a Roku LT

Discussion in Digital & Web TV started by Kaycee J • Apr 21, 2012.

1. Kaycee J

Kaycee JActive Member

Threads:
    We recently received a Roku LT, and dropped our cable plan. We mostly stream Netflix on the device, but there are quite a few other streaming options. The setup for the Roku was pretty easy. During the setup, they ask for a credit card number. I didn't want to store that number in their system, so I got in touch with the online support people on their website and they were able to help me get up and running using an email address instead. We are really enjoying the reduction in our cable bill!

Side note: when we dropped cable, we found that our small HDTV received almost all of our local stations. I don't know if that would be the case for everyone, but where we live, there is no need for an additional antenna!

Anyone else out there use a Roku box? I'd like to hear what channels you subscribe to, and especially if there are any free channels you enjoy.

2. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I've been on the fence about dropping my satellite service. I don't see the point in paying all that money, when you can watch all of your favorite shows on the Internet. Watching Netflix is better than watching cable because you can control what you watch. There is no need to wait until your shows come on with all those commercials, you can pause and play without checking the guide. Satellite is slow and most of the time there are problems with their service. It goes out completely when it's raining. I might just make the switch, so I can watch TV anytime I want without waiting on the satellite company.

3. cashmoneybil

cashmoneybilNew Member

Threads:
    This is a great thread. I have been looking for a way to cut cable cost since we pay nearly $200 for Comcast cable/internet package. With all the extra charges for HD boxes, dvr, movie channels, sport package, it really adds up! I never heard of Roku Lt but will definitely look into it now. Even without that it might be better just to watch everything on Netflix. They have tons of TV episodes and movies alike. Other then that I can always get news and anything else I was missing on the internet.

4. Kaycee J

Kaycee JActive Member

Threads:
    I think that maybe my husband will miss a few football games in the fall, but most of those are being streamed on the internet, so he can watch them on the laptop. We watch Netflix more than anything else right now. There are other "channels" available on the Roku - some of them are free and some aren't. I haven't spent much time looking at them, though, so I am not sure which ones are the best.

5. AlwaysAMama

AlwaysAMamaActive Member

Threads:
    We have a Roku and also use our game systems to stream Nexflix and Hulu. I think there is plenty to watch on there and the kids and I would be fine with dropping cable, but my husband would freak. He loves his sports and ESPN too much and does not like watching shows on his computer. I wish cable companies would let you pick the channels you want and not have o pay for them all.

6. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    I alsop have been debating and wondering about the Roku2. QVC made it look so good. But I was concerned about my local channels and CNN. I thought that by the time I was done "subscribing" to channels that it would probably just be cheaper to keep my cable. I am understanding it correctly, right? You have to pay to subscribe to whatever channels you want?

7. Kaycee J

Kaycee JActive Member

Threads:
    Some of the channels are free, and some charge a fee -I haven't subscribed to any of the ones that charge. We already had a Netflix account. They have a website with a good bit of helpful information. You can see what channels are available and also look at their blog which has information about what's on. I chatted with a representative via their website both before we got a Roku and while I was setting it up, which was also helpful. They also have a facebook page with info there.

8. Moneysaver93

Moneysaver93Member

Threads:
    I was so happy when I got my roku. Beforehand, all we had was an outdoor antenna without much channels to watch. Since we have gotten the Roku, we have had a much broader selection from news to even youtube videos. I really do enjoy it.

9. Kaycee J

Kaycee JActive Member

Threads:
    Moneysaver93, have you subscribed to other channels besides things like Netflix and Hulu Plus? What are your favorite channels?

10. dexterlablab1

dexterlablab1Active Member

Threads:
    Honestly, I don't blame you for this. We're considering doing the same thing.

For most of our shows, we can just way a day later and watch them on hulu plus. So aside from sports and news, cable isn't worth much to us. Hulu Plus and Netflix alone combine to cost $16 a month. That's nothing compared to a cable bill.

11. missnc35

missnc35Member

Threads:
    We are thinking about cutting our satellite as well. I have read so many reviews on Roku and it seems that we cannot get some of the local channels that we watch daily. Although that is the case, we are still considering Roku because we don't watch TV enough for how much we pay. I also heard Roku makes you pay for each channel you subscribe to, which kind of turns me off to the whole Roku idea.

12. novasparker

novasparkerActive Member

Threads:
    I love the Roku...but I have the Plus not the LT. Since I don't have internet capability on my TV, the only way to view my subscription services on my TV was to connect my PC...but now I don't have to. I love this little device and how easy it was to use. I have written a few extensive consumer reviews on this device, which you can find on my site under "Other Stuff By Me"

13. MyOCDisMild

MyOCDisMildMember

Threads:
    I was considering getting the Apple thing, I don't know if it's Roku, Vudu, or whatever it's called, but I was told that they didn't cover it in my area. Pretty disappointing since I mostly work from the computer and the TV may be on but it's always muted, so it only makes sense to do away with cable all together. The only think I really need is internet, but alas, the two are connected....damn Insight.

14. dexterlablab1

dexterlablab1Active Member

Threads:
    Honestly, I expect to see this trend grow.

Even we've cut our cable off and instead either rent or us our ps3's 360's and streaming devices.