Cable or DSL Connection?

Discussion in Internet Broadband Access started by pafjlh • Mar 3, 2013.

1. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    This is something I have been wondering about for awhile now. For the past three years I have been working with a DSL connection on my computer. Don't get me wrong this still beats dial up any day. However, there have been issues with the signal gong down on occasion, especially this past year. During this time I have been curious about the Internet through a Cable provider. I wanted to know how much better the service is compared to DSL. If its worth the extra cost, or if its not much better then DSL is, so why bother switching over. I would be curious to know what anyone who has actually made this switch has to say regarding this matter.

2. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    I myself have DSL from AT&T and although I would like it to be faster it's as you said a lot better then Dial-up! My brother has his internet through a cable company and from what he tells me it isn't that much better then what I have, now I don't know it may depend on the location you are in too. Also when there is really bad weather he usually looses connection for hours and sometimes more depending on the severity of the weather. Me on the other hand have only lost connection one time in the four years that I have had my DSL and it was only for an hour during bad weather. No matter how bad the weather is or what have you, I never loose connection except for that one time and it only lasted for an hour. As for my brother that has cable connection for his internet he is always losing connection, whether it is weather related or other. So I would have to say using this information that I have, I would rather stay with DSL at this point,again it could be due to location or there may be a better cable company that could provide better internet service, then the one my brother has or the DSL I have, but going on what I know I will stay with DSL for now.

3. RedNeckJiuJitsu

RedNeckJiuJitsuNew Member

Threads:
    If your brother is having trouble being connected during bad weather, are you sure that he has cable and not satellite? I've never heard of cable going out in bad weather, but satellite, both internet and TV, is known for it.

We have DSL. The only other option in our area for broadband is through satellite or cell coverage. Of course there's always dial-up. Our speed with DSL isn't bad, about 1.5 down and 300 up. My dad lives about 8 miles away and has cable internet with a bit better speed than we have, but I know he pays less money because we have to pay for a landline phone service as well, in order to have the DSL.

4. shane002

shane002Banned

Threads:
    Also when there is really bad weather he usually looses connection for hours and sometimes more depending on the severity of the weather. Me on the other hand have only lost connection one time in the four years that I have had my DSL and it was only for an hour during bad weather.

5. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I currently have cable. It's definitely more consistent and faster than DSL.It's been a long time since I had DSL, but I do remember the outages when the weather was bad. Rarely does my internet cable has a hiccup. I don't even have problems after an earthquake.

It's pricey as I live in a major city, but I think it's worth every penny since I make a part-time income from online activities.

6. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I also have cable and this is the only service that I have been using for many many years. I have had no problems with it and the connection and speed are just amazing in my opinion.
    I don't see myself switching to anything else even if the claims are better (haha). Cable has never wronged me so there is really no reason to cut this service.

I also never had any significant problems during bad weather and another pro to this service is that the customer service is very nice!

7. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have DSL, but it's just because I primarily use my landline phone so it's cheap for me to bundle my landline with DSL. Now that cable companies are also offering home phone service, I might consider switching to a cable company to provide all my services ,if I can get a good bundle deal.

8. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, I ave DSL and it definitely sucks. I lose connection all the time for no reason, it just goes out. I hate it and the phone company doesn't even know whats going on. When I use the phone sometimes the internet stops. Been thinking about switching for a while now.

9. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I have used cable in the past and I am using DSL now. The cable service was definitely better, but not enough to justify the cost in my opinion. DSL is working for me for right now, and it's definitley a lot better than dial up.

10. Caprio

CaprioMember

Threads:
    I use DSL but i prefer cable due to the hiccups. When the weather ain't good then i dont really enjoy it.

11. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    I have had DSL in the past was not at all impressed with it. I had it through Verizon and was packaged with the home phone as well. I was supposed to pay $60 a month for it all but ended up paying about $100 a month for it. We had problems with it and then would have to call Verizon who would tell us they didn't know why it happened and they would try to reset us. It was a nightmare!

We now have cable (and when we lived in another area we had cable Internet there too) and we find it to be cheaper with the bundle (cable, Internet and home phone.) It is also faster and much more reliable. We have not lost service with them and if we did, they would credit us where the DSL companies usually will not. Plus our cable company upgraded our speed for free :)

12. Michael Brown

Michael BrownNew Member

Threads:
    Cable or DSL, would depend on your needs. There are providers that offers fabulous promos. I think it depends on the situation and on your cable or internet needs.

13. raleigh040513

raleigh040513New Member

Threads:
    hello!
    DSL or Cable as of now i got internet with cable package in my country i don't know in other country. I advice get what is you need and can help you for what you want to do.
    Thanks

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm actually wondering about this too, because we have cable and a landline, but our internet connection is only a prepaid one (broadband) or sometimes I use a dial up connection which is really slow. Now I'm torn which is better in terms of connection when bad weather arises. Maybe the DSL connection will fare better than it's cable counterpart.