Cable Tv Digibox Consumes Electricity Even When Not In Use

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by Corzhens • Mar 29, 2016.

1. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For those with digibox for their cable connection, you should be aware that the digibox consumes electricity even when the tv is turned off and even when the digibox is turned off. You have 2 remote for that - one for the tv and another for the digibox. What we do is to plug the tv and the digibox in a surge protector that we turn off when not in use. We never turn off the tv and the digibox by remote control. Although the consumption is minimal, still that's a waste of money.

2. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    This is an interesting revelation. Turning off the devices when not in use may really save a bit of money, and if there are other appliances that could be treated in a similar way then doing the same with them could increase the savings. Every little bit adds up.

3. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    I never put any serious thought to the fact. I usually use other interventions like reducing the volume and not leaving the TV on when nobody is watching. Instead of using a surge protector, most people would rather unplug the power chord though this night be a little inconveniencing. It also important to have a high resolution screen for maximum efficiency to save on eddy currents and power wastage through unnecessary heating.

4. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    It is inconvenient to unplug the TV and cable or even the surge protector. I've tried this and the time it takes for the cable to restart was something that I can live without. With that being said I don't mind not saving in this area because I would like to just sit down and watch TV than wait for it to power up.