Cable TV

Discussion in Phone, Internet & TV started by toradrake • Dec 10, 2014.

1. toradrake

toradrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Are there people out there that still use Cable? It is hard to believe that anyone uses these anymore. With places like Netflix and Hulu around... why pay for what you do not need? There are thousands of sites (including station sites) online that allow you to watch what you want when you want rather then have to deal with missing episodes of your favorite shows. Here is a video I found where the siege cinema is talking about how turning off your cable and keeping just your internet... it will save you a lot of money.

This guy makes a lot of good points as to why we should eliminate cable TV and I fully agree with him on his points. Online subscription services (some are even free) give you control of what, when, and where you view your favorite shows. Cable TV does not.

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For so many years people complained about paying for channels they never used. We've been ripped off enough, it's time to go with what makes sense. Now, some service providers are FINALLY talking about only paying for channels you use.. but it's a little too late for that I think. They're going down and I'm happy to see it. I haven't had tv service in a couple years now I think and I'm much happier for it. No more commercials or pesky waiting!

3. blasianchick

blasianchickNew Member

Threads:
    Are you kidding? Cable is the Devil, and we all know it! I think maybe really old people who don't know how to use the internet still watch cable. Hee Hee. I can't stand re-runs and commercials! Ugh! Biggest pet peeve ever! I hate channel surfing. Gosh, cable is too primitive and slow paced for me.

I absolutely love Netflix! Just what I want at my fingertips. Between Netflix, You Tube, Internet streaming sites and downloadable TV shows, I have no use for cable. I paid like $100 a month to get Dish a few years back and it was a total waste. I refuse to pay for commercials! They should pay me to watch them, instead. Yeah, I'm totally with you guys on the death of cable. It's totally useless. And plain old robbery.

4. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I have to agree that these days we don't need cable. Not with streaming players that make so much readily available. Then there are places like Netflix that provide what we want to watch not what someone is dictating to us.

I wish I could convince the two brothers that I live with would feel this way. But they aren't ready to give up on cable even though we now have a good streaming player in our home. The only thing we can't afford at this time is a better higher speed Internet.

5. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    For most of the network sites, you still need a cable subscription unless you want to watch it on delay. Also, there are people like me who enjoy sports and I don't know, the news? I like the ability to turn on 24 hour news anytime a major story breaks.

6. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't had cable for nearly two years. I use Roku and have a Hulu Plus and Netflix subscriptions. I can catch some of my favorite shows that aren't on either streaming service online. There are some shows that I can't find online like Homeland.

I can get news anything I want via apps on the Roku. Plus I get most of my news online.

7. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    Roku has MSNBC and Fox?

8. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    I still find cable tv pretty useful. Granted, I'd like to cut my package down to the essentials, but you need some channels to watch the newer shows. I like Netflix, but it doesn't have enough newer programming and movies to keep me satisfied. In a perfect world, I'd be able to have a cable package with HBO, Showtime, ESPN, NFL Network and MLB Network. I'd be pretty satisfied.

9. klassiter

klassiterActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't had cable for over a year. I subscribe to Netflix and Hulu. I am still able to see my favorite shows and when it is convenient for me. I think cable is a total waste of money. When I had cable I didn't watch half the channels I had access to, and the movie channels seem to show the same movies all the time. I don't think I will ever go back to cable.

10. AngelicDevilTel

AngelicDevilTelActive Member

Threads:
    If it were up to me I would just have my internet
    with Netflix, Hulu Plus, WWE Network, Youtube, and station sites I could watch anything I wanted.

On the other hand
    1. I live with older people that refuse to embrace technology but is all about getting a Netflix account.
    2. There are some things I would rather watch in the designated time slot rather than later on
    3. I don't pay for it, so let them deal with it.

11. Kamarsun1

Kamarsun1Member

Threads:
    That is true. Youtube has pretty much replaced my cable, and when I want to watch something else I just find a stream online. You know cable is dying anytime they offer a free stream for the Super Bowl. The main reason why I don't like cable is the advertisement. Commercial TV is full of materialistic items that you don't really need, plus the subliminal messages are just to much for me.

12. BargainPhoenix

BargainPhoenixMember

Threads:
    I love the fact that I don't have cable and I'm still spoilt for choice of entertainment through internet, Roku and Netflix. I don't miss anything. I keep up with news through my local news websites and many of them post the video of their live broadcast. That way I can still feel like the meteorologist is personally telling how the weather will be. One of the best parts is living a commercial free life.

13. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We only decided late last year to get rid of cable because the prices were just ridiculous. -and like people say, you get a lot of channels and programmes you don't even watch. I just don't understand why they don't let you cherry pick and put together your own package, within reason of course.

The cartoon channels for instance, are usually part of the premium package, and there's many! We're not big into cartoons but like something else. I don't like the pre-packagaing at all. Don't even get me started on the repeats!

The only thing I miss is Sky and BBC news because that's what I'm accustomed to. Otherwise we watch everything online with TunnelBear

14. jaxson's mommy

jaxson's mommyNew Member

Threads:
    I have cable, netflix, and internet and I use them all. I like netflix but the new stuff isn't on there you always have to wait for it to go off cable before you can see it. I didn't have cable for the longest time and I missed it. It can be expensive but if you find the right package it's so worth it.

15. goldenmaine

goldenmaineActive Member

Threads:
    We still have cable in our home but we rarely watch TV anymore so I think my parents are just wasting money in their subscription. There are a lot of channels but we do not watch most of them and we usually just watch HBO. I am trying to recommend them to cut the cable and just subscribe to online sites that show certain networks with a low monthly payment. I also suggested to change maybe to another cable network which is cheaper, has fewer channels but still have those that we usually watch.

16. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    The price of cable TV, especially here in the UK is beyond a joke. For years we had sky tv, the monthly direct debit just kept coming out, we never checked it because we we just called it another household bill. It was only when we had to cut back that we realised we never really watched that much so decided to cancel the subscriprion. We realised that we had been paying nearly £100 a month which is quite a hefty amount, especially for something you hardly use.

17. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We still have cable tv and my dad pays for it. We only pay $13 per month, so it isn't that expensive. If you were to ask me though, I wouldn't get a cable subscription, since I prefer to surf the net more.

18. Lushlala

Threads:

Wow Sidney, your dad only pays $13?! I mean, how big of a package do you guys actually get for that? It sounds very cheap. When we had cable, we went for the premium package with all the channels and it was the equivalent of $56 per month! I know it's extortionate (exactly why we decided to get rid of it), but your fee seems very low. You guys are so lucky!

19. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Lushlala@Lushlala, It was even cheaper before at $11.50 per month! We have the basic package, and I counted just now we have 66 channels, but they fluctuate, since some channels disappear and new ones appear. We also chose the cheaper cable company. How about you, how many channels does your cable provider offer in your package?

20. Lushlala

Threads:
    Wow, that's great, Sidney! Not even our cheapest package is that much! The problem here is that there's only one provider, so they're taking advantage of being a monopoly. With a population of 2.1 million, I guess it kind of makes sense.

We do get a lot of channels, most of which I never watched. I can't give an exact number, but it's very high. Some of the channels are rubbish anyway. One of the reasons why we got rid of it, besides being hideously expensive, is the fact that they have this hidden fee they call call the "access" fee. They basically charge you for the ability to stop, rewind, fast forward and record!!! When we realised this, we decided there and then to cancel our subscription. I mean, how greedy can they get?!

Also, the amount of repeats is ridiculous. I know this happens everywhere, even in the UK it was a problem. But at least they compromise on price. Here no, they hit you in the pocket, while churning out repeat after repeat!