Calculating Price Vs. Content

Discussion in Food & Drink started by DrRipley • Mar 7, 2015.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Whenever I want to buy soda these days, I usually just go for the plastic bottles instead of cans because they are only a few cents more expensive but they also contain a lot more. I also do this with any other product I see in the grocery, so I usually stand at the aisle longer than most people because I like to compare the content and price of the different sizes of the same product.

Do you guys do this as well? Which products do you find this to be most applicable to?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I check the content, but I buy bottles because they are more practical. You can out the cap back on a bottle and carry it around and reuse the bottle if necessary, but once the can is opened then you have to use it up.

I always found cans cheaper, but I rarely buy them because I prefer to use bottle caps than ring pulls. I've had a few ring pulls that fell off and I was left with a can that I couldn't open, so that has also put me off.

3. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I usually prefer cans over bottles as it is totally not cool when the soda gets wasted. It should not be a situation where I pay for soda and I am not able to drink that much of content. Hence the cans have enough quantity that I can actually drink and have lots of fun. It is the best thing about using the cans.

4. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I usually purchase bottles of sodas and other beverages as opposed to cans because I hardly ever drink the entire beverage in one sitting. A bottled beverage will usually last me at least half of the day and it is nice to cap it and put it away to finish later if I do not want to finish it then. Canned beverages may be slightly cheaper, but I do not want to be wasteful and throw out half drank beverages.

5. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't bought sodas in a few years now, but when I did I usually opted for the cans. They were more compact, and relative to plastic bottles, took up a little less space in the fridge. Plus they were easier to crush down so they would take up less space in your trash can too. Portion-wise, the cans were just the right amount with a meal, where I usually wouldn't have any leftover, unlike the taller plastic bottles, where I do, but then it ends up going flat in the fridge, even with the lid on it. I feel like I was actually wasting more soda with the plastic bottles personally because I was throwing out too much flat soda.

Even more so than the regular size cans, some of the brands started coming out with half size cans, which I liked even more, because they were perfect for when you are making cocktails for your guests and friends and don't want a regular size can to go flat before you have another one.

6. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also do some computing especially when I am purchasing canned goods. Sometimes the discount is quite substantial when purchasing a big can of juice instead of the small one. With soda, it is a given that family size is very economical against the small bottles and the can. However, my husband, who loves Coke very much, would never drink from the family size bottle. He would only drink Coke in the can because, he says, the taste is different.