Camping To Save Money

Discussion in Travel started by prose • Mar 1, 2016.

1. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    When planning a trip to a particular destination, have you ever considered camping as a money-saving alternative to staying in a hotel, motel, or vacation rental?

My husband and I enjoy camping, and we will often camp in state parks in order to save money on accomodations in our vacation budget. Campsites in our state are usually around $20 per night, compared to $60-$100 per night for a hotel or motel room. We usually have a particular destination in mind when vacationing, so we will search for state parks and other campgrounds in the general area of our destination. We usually pitch a tent when camping and bring a cooler of food, saving us even more in food costs on our trip. I have also considered rustic cabins at state parks and campgrounds when we plan on camping, which provide the luxury of a bed to sleep on and no need to do the work of setting up the tent. The rustic cabins are usually more expensive than an average campsite, however.

Would you consider camping to save money on your vacation?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Camping is the cheapest way to travel and I have tried it, but have never enjoyed it and thus it would be more like a punishment for me. Glamping is different, but if you are used to it, then it's a great way to travel and vacation, but it's only cheaper in groups as often you pay a price per tent or vehicle on camp sites.

3. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Camping to save money when traveling is a great idea for those that like to camp out. I don't enjoy the idea of camping out in the wild. I like the security of a building not a tent or a trailer.

4. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Hmmm - even though I totally love being outdoors and do appreciate that some people do like camping and that for many people camping is probably the only way that they can have a holiday - camping its not something that I would look forward to - let alone enjoy.

Particularly as the memory of my first and only experience of camping as a child is not one that I ever wish to re-live - as apart from the fact that you normally have a long trek to not particularly clean communal showering facilities - for which you may have to queue for - there is the struggling to cook food over a tiny stove or stoves and then at the end of the meal having to lug the dishes over to another communal washing area in order to clean them - as well as all the erecting and dismantling of the tent on arrival and departure - which is all made even more miserable should the weather take a turn for the worse.

So in answer to your question - as I much prefer more civilized surroundings with a door between me and the outside world that can be locked and where you don't have to share washing facilities with an army of strangers and the bed you sleep in is off the ground - I would much rather save even more money by not having a vacation at all - than go camping - as to me paying for something that I wouldn't enjoy would be a total waste of money.

5. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    I somehow share @gata montes@gata montes' concerns when it comes to camping out for vacations. Although it can really be a great way to save up on room accommodations and all but one must take note of the availability and cleanliness of communal showers and restrooms where one could do his/her hygiene. Hygiene rooms are what I always look for when it comes to traveling.

6. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I think camping is a great way to save money. The last time I went camping a couple of years ago, even with a price increase, it only cost us £3 a person a night. For three of us it was less than £10 a night, we were close to shops and local attractions, walks, a river and a canal, many woodlands and hills... Even the city was only about 30 minutes away. It was great. Sure, the communal areas weren't great, but we only used them when we had to anyway. A hotel in the same area would've been closer to £40 a night. It was a huge saving. I'd definitely do it again.

7. Kenya Swan

Kenya SwanMember

Threads:
    I think camping is a great way to save money while traveling. I have never been camping so I am not sure if I would enjoy the experience. I was never an outdoors person. I would give it a try at least once to see how I like. I think I would like the cabins much better than staying in a tent.

8. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    My family is taking a trip up north and we are thinking bout getting a camp site because it will be cheaper than getting a cabin. It's only $40 a night and we all have our own tents and gear. As avid campers, it is a very affordable alternative.

9. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When we go to the lake area in Tagaytay, there are several options - hotel, inn, lake resort, campsite. Depending on the weather, we choose the appropriate accommodation. Last year we had an overnight stay in the campsite for the birthday celebration of my niece. Since we brought along tents, the expense was minimal. But when the weather is not good, we either stay in the inn or in the hotel which is more expensive. During summer, the lake resort is nice with its several swimming pools.

10. Tina122321

Tina122321Member

Threads:
    I have friends that camp several times a year and it is the only way they vacation. They save a lot of money and are able to do more activities because they don't spend the money on lodging. They started with tents, moved to a small camper and now have bought a bigger camper for their family of five now that the kids are in their teens.

I like camping but it doesn't seem to save me as much money as other people. I also find that the work I have to put into packing, setting up and sleeping outdoors leaves me very tired and unable to do as much on vacation. I would consider camping if we go back to the ocean. Staying right next to the beach sounds amazing and since all I'll want to do is lay on the beach during the day, being tired won't be an issue. Hotels near the beach cost a lot more than ones in the Midwest so I can definitely see the savings being a lot more.

11. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Since I hardly ever travel to places where I don't have relatives of friends I don't have to pay for accommodation or lug a tent around.

I believe though that camping certainly can save some traveling money but you'd have to find a really safe camping spot. When I'm home I usually go camping/fishing because I know the areas well but if I'm traveling abroad I'd be a little wary . . .

12. Adoreyou!

Adoreyou!New Member

Threads:
    Ohhh i love camping so much. Always really like to expericne things like these so much. It makes me feel great when i went to somewhere new and Camp there. Last time i Camped at the at the Big Sycamore Canyon Campground and it was a very nice sort of expericne for me. I completely enjoyed myself so much and will really like to keep this hobby on.

13. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We're heading across the country this summer and we won't be camping to save money.. we'll be camping to enjoy every moment of our beautful country! lol.. I live for camping. It's so peaceful and there is nothing better than sitting around a fire under the stars. I can't wait to see the REAL Canada.. it's not every day I'll get this chance, so I'm going to soak in every mile and camp whenever possible. I'm sure we'll have to get a room or two on the way, but hopefully not. I am beyond stoked. Money saving is just a bonus.

14. NikkiR

NikkiRMember

Threads:
    I love camping. We often choose campgrounds instead of hotels. It is far cheaper and a lot more fun. I don't think I would recommend it for people who don't already camp as a way to save money. The cost of the camping equipment; tent, air mattresses, camp stove ect. might become more expensive than the cost of a hotel. However f you already have those supplies, definitely think about camping on your next trip.

15. sidjohn

sidjohnMember

Threads:
    NikkiR, Same with me. I also love camping to have fun and make my travel time interesting for me. These days I am thinking to enjoy this adventure in Yosemite's campgrounds and very excited for that.

16. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    Camping is a great way to save money, as it is a lot cheaper than it would be to stay in any other accommodation. You have to make sure, though, that you have everything that you need around you, as this will make your stay much more comfortable. I always make sure that there is somewhere to get a meal and drinks, and public bathrooms, and as long as I know that I have both of those things, I am good to go!

17. atlmom5

atlmom5Active Member

Threads:
    Since you're used to camping and really enjoy it, go for it! Sounds like it could be a wonderful memory filled time for you guys....and you can save money too!!! Do it!

18. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    It depends on the season. However, you could be the tough type that will camp in the winter. I guess there is nothing wrong with that. How would someone go about winter camping?

19. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    We never go for the motel and the couch surfing when we are on road trip. I think RV alone does the work for most of the things. We do however some of the time get rid of the clutter and make sure things can be worked on road. We have tools, food and stuff so we don't need motel. I guess it's easier when you have RV. And that we don't have to worry about the money saving on that part.

20. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not really the outdoorsy type, so I don't think I would even consider camping when I travel. I just think of the bugs and mosquitos and that's enough to not even want to try it, plus you won't be sleeping on a soft bed at night. So I would just choose a cheap motel to spend the night in than camping.