Can buying your products online save you money?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by messlisa • May 7, 2013.

1. messlisa

messlisaNew Member

Threads:
    I have bought several things online, because it is convenient, but is it saving me money? There are certain costs to consider such as shipping and hanling, but venturing outside of our home, we have to pay those high gas prices. So which do you think is the smarter option?

2. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    Well, right now, most online stores don't charge sales tax. So that saves you 6 percent or so right off the bat. Get the bundled deals that have no shipping and handling nad buying online can certainly save you money. It also saves you your time, which to me is pricesless. However, sounds like the no sales tax thing is going to go away sooner rather than later. :(

3. limcid

limcidActive Member

Threads:
    It can definitely save you money. What you have to look for are sites that offer free shipping if you purchase more than a certain dollar amount. With Amazon, it's $25 and the shipping is free. I always wait until I have enough that I want to purchase to qualify for the free shipping.

4. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    If you buy in mass, it's always better, even more if you use codes that sometimes give you up to 40% off, which is a lot if you buy a lot of things at once.

5. GavinMcresty

GavinMcrestyMember

Threads:
    It is always good to check. Very often, you can get real bargains online. In addition, many retailers have special deals and prices, which are only available online. If it is something you buy regularly, you should still check in local shops how much it is. Sometimes it can still be cheaper to buy in person.

6. ozadin

ozadinActive Member

Threads:
    Buying online is more convenient, and saves you a bit of money. Some items might not come with tax, and there are special codes you can use to discount the item whether it is shipping or tax.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    If both online and offline purchases were priced the same, I'd say that online would be the cheaper one, since it saves you time. You can be in and out of an online store within 5 minutes, while you'd have to drive for 30 minutes just to get to a brick and mortar store. The gas I'd say is more expensive than shipping as well, most of the time.

8. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    Buying online to me is the cheapest way to go considering the price of gas and they will deliver it to your door. I know because I bought a file cabinet online and it was free delivery and I liked that and I didn't have to do anything. Great service.

9. mansawalta

mansawaltaMember

Threads:
    Online is the way to go.....i tend to find that a lot of things online are a lot cheaper, and there is also a very good second hand market so that makes thing even cheaper.....just be careful and always use trusted sites like amazon where their reputation is on the line with every sale they make.

10. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It totally depends on what you're buying. There is no one over the other here. If I want, say, an article of clothing I saw downtown. If the gas is cheaper than the shipping and handling, then I go downtown. Simple as that. I buy most of my stuff online because I can usually find everything I want cheaper, but there are still things I need that take less in gas to go and buy.

11. MrsR

MrsRMember

Threads:
    It depends on what it is and how far you would have to get it if you bought it at a store, but I really think online is cheaper. Of course, you will save on gas but sometimes the shipping cost would be more than the gas money. I will not order online unless the store offers free shipping or I can find a promotional code. I shop around at different online stores to get the best price before I order. I couldn't afford to drive around from store to store doing that. Also I think that there is so much more competition online that these stores are more likely to offer discounts, free shipping etc... I had even forgot about the savings of sales tax until the above poster mentioned it. That's even more savings.

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes it can definitely save you money, especially when you compare the prices of several stores all at once. You just simply compute the total amount that you will spend if you're gonna buy online as opposed to buying an item in a real store, transportation included, so that you can see which one costs cheaper.

13. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Not all things are necessarily cheaper online. I've noticed food products, even things like Ramen Noodles, are much more expensive on Amazon than what I would pay at a local store. With regards to shipping, it helps to try and bundle a bunch of purchases together. Many times, they will give you free shipping if the purchase is above a certain amount. Around the holidays, they are usually running all sorts of free shipping promotions. It's also a good idea to Google for some promo codes just before you complete your purchase. I've managed to get some free shipping doing that as well.

14. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    It depends whether or not the products are available online, otherwise I would buy them online. I think the only way that save me money on buy the products would be used products, which I don't usually buy used products to begin with. I don't mind about spending more money if the products are brand-new, which I'm very strict about that.

15. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    I would have to agree with many here that it can indeed save you money. Depending on the product and the shipping costs, sometimes it can cost you money. Before purchasing something online, I usually compare the prices to the stores, if it's cheaper (and it usually is) then I purchase it. It's good to do your research before hand when purchasing something. :)

16. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Definitely! One of the main reasons I buy online is to save money!! I find that most stores have better deals online than in store. Take Forever 21 for example for clothing. They often do a "50% off on sale items", and most of those items you can't find in the stores! And plus you usually get free shipping if you spend a certain amount... so I think it is very worth it to look around the websites and find good deals. Plus, you save on gas and parking!!!

17. themarting

themartingActive Member

Threads:
    Yes definitely if you know how to shop. If its something you need though to be productive, the opportunity cost might outweight the savings.

For example if its a pair of clippers you cant cut hair with, and itll take 3 days to get them from amazon, and you can do 4 haircuts a day at 10 dollars per haircut, then you just missed out on $120 from not being able to cut hair, and saved maybe 30 mucks by buying it online, if that makes sense

18. Jrh2

Jrh2Member

Threads:
    I think buying products online can save you money. If I want to buy a DVD offline I have only one choice of shop to buy it from and they have ridiculously high prices so would have to pay £15 for a single DVD whilst if I buy it online I can get it for around £8 to £10. There is much more options of shops and postage can usually be chosen as free even though it takes a little longer to arrive. Online is better for me.

19. Scottie

ScottieMember

Threads:
    Buying products online can definitely save you money. Most stores have better deals online than in store and when shopping online you can just go on a next website and compare deals and prices. Its way more convenient because you can do it from the comfort of your home and you don't have to worry about lines in the store!

20. Gmac9100

Gmac9100Active Member

Threads:
    Buying products online can definitely save you money. Amazon has a countless number of discount outlets that sell products through their site. You can save a lot of money on new products from Amazon. If you are looking to save money through buying used products you should try Ebay. You can find just about anything on there.