Can Eating Too Much Protein Be Bad?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by rares209 • Mar 11, 2015.

1. rares209

rares209Member

Threads:
    Since I started working out in July 2014, I kept eating a lot of protein, because I was aware of the fact that I needed a specific amount of protein in order for my muscles to grow. But quite frequently it happens to get over that quantity and I don;t know if it's bad for my body or not. I'm feeling alright, but maybe there will be some long term problems.

2. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Eating too much is bad really even if it were fruits or vegetables. Same goes with protein. Excess protein turn into fats. It's not like they would be deposited into your muscles so they'd grow. You'd still have to work out that hard to be able to use the protein in your body and once that they are ready to be used and you don't instead use them, then they would be turned into fats.

3. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    You'd need a fairly high intake of protein if you're working out and intending to bulk up. However eating too much protein may place a high strain on your kidneys since all the excess amino acids are excreted in your urine. I'd say that your protein intake should be controlled based on your needs, it is best to consult a dietitian in this regard.

4. rares209

rares209Member

Threads:
    Thank you guys! I already knew that eating foods with a high percentage of protein will lead to a high strain on my kidneys, but now I'm young and probaly the effects will show later. I have to say that I didn't know that the protein is turned into fats if it is not used, I will keep an eye on it from now on.

5. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Why would you ask the people on a forum rather than asking a real doctor? Protein in high amounts can be dangerous long-term, but you can easily exceed the daily recommendation for protein without adverse effects. It's important to notice how high protein intake affects your body, and any adverse effects should be noted, resulting in a decrease in protein intake.

6. allswl

allswlActive Member

Threads:
    Too much protein is not good for you over the long term. If you had more than you planned to once or twice then that is not going to be a problem. Ensure that the amounts you planned on taking is adequate for you. Also once you have increased your protein intake you must also ensure that you are drinking enough water.

7. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    Protein does not convert to fat as easily as carbs do but in extreme excess, it can. Increased fluids can help flush out the excess protein, making kidney stones less likely.

8. worldmachine

worldmachineActive Member

Threads:
    Anything done to excess is bad and there are some very real risks connected to consuming too much protein. Weight gain, extra body fat, stress on your kidneys and dehydration are some of the risks.

Protein is important as it is the primary building block for your muscles bones and many hormones but there is an upper limit to how much protein your body can actually use before it converts the protein to sugar then fat. Most people require between 40 and 70 grams of protein a day unless you are aggressively exercising or pregnant, the you require about 25% more than that.

9. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that eating too much of anything can be to your detriment. The body is a system, and just like any other system, balance is needed for it to work in a satisfying pleasing matter. So too much protein - just like anything else - will be a problem, I think. Just like not enough of it would also be a problem for your body.

10. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    It sort of depends on what the rest of your diet and workout routine is. If you're just scarfing down protein and not in a consistent workout routine or drinking a lot of water, then yea, that's probably going to be harmful to your health long-term. But if you're trying to bulk up, are drinking tons of water, and working out 5-6 days a week, it's pretty dang hard to eat too much protein for someone in that situation.

As others have said, consulting a dietitian is probably the best way to go to find what a good amount would be for you based on your current situation.

11. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    Eating way too much protein can be bad. Too much will be determined by your size and activity level. But if you are eating way more than you need ( ex. Large steaks routinely when you are not an athlete) it can cause high uriv acid in your body which is s risk factor for a certain type of kidney stones. It will probably take years for this problem to show up, but I know someone who is 50 who had this happen and found out it was partly caused by eating way too much meat for many years.

12. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There's a limit to the amount of protein our body is capable of ingesting. Humans can only take so much. According to Dr. Mercola, a health expert, too much protein will disrupt the balance of amino acids in your body. Worse case scenario is that it can fuel the growth of cancer cells. If you want to expand your lifespan, it would be wise to be careful with your protein consumption.

13. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    Someone once told me that too much protein has long term negative side effects on your liver, essentially you burn it out.
    But you can't pack on muscle without it.
    I don't think I would be too worried about it.

14. Adrianna

AdriannaNew Member

Threads:
    Eating too much fruits and veggies is bad for you?! This is not true. I am on a plan where I eat so much I feel like I am going to bust and I am more slender than I have ever been. Abundance and good food.
    Protein is a tricky one. You don't need as much as they push people to eat. Fruits and veggies have protein in them. Other forms of protein are what should be in moderation.
    "Forks over Knives" is a documentary that talks about meat and dairy. How it causes cancer, heart attack, stroke, diabetes, and other conditions. It is done with fireman and doctors. It is based on the "China Study". How their diet is healthier. Now more Chinese eat like Americans. You know what that means; cancer and so forth. They are no longer so healthy with McDonalds and pizza.

15. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    I too would say the same as others have said - as any excess calories - regardless of their source - will always be stored as fat by the body if they are not used - then yes excess protein will ultimately be stored as fat in just the same way as eating too much fat or any other food would be.

I would however also just add - that although its true that muscle growth does require adequate supplies of protein - as recent research has found that the average person actually consumes almost double their protein requirements from diet alone and also that - there are some major health risks associated with high protein diets - for example - excess protein consumption is now strongly linked with osteoporosis, kidney diseases, calcium stones in the urinary tract along with many other debilitating diseases - consuming more protein than the body needs is not considered healthy

So unless planning to become a competition body builder - following a well-balanced diet containing adequate calories and nutrients combined with a well-designed resistance training program that can build and strengthen muscles - would be the healthier option - especially as doing that would result in having a healthy, lean well toned body.

16. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Consuming too much protein can be bad for and here's one good reason why shouldn't:

According to one nutrionist, when someone eats proteins their bodies produce ammonia but the liver neutralizes the toxins. Eating too much protein therefore would mean more ammonia would be produced and the liver would be overworked and those toxins will end up in your bloodstream.

17. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Too much of anything, even if it's healthy foods is never a good thing. You're really best off observing a balanced diet, and keeping it healthy too. I've always understood that for any meal, your vegetables should make a bigger proportion than your protein and starch.

18. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The thread title suggests to my mind that protein is meat and eating too much meat is not good. Actually, eating excessively is bad per se for our health so whatever you eat in excess will not do you good. I would recommend a balanced diet all the time - meat or fruits, vegetable or fish plus plenty of water.

19. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I know too much fat protein can be bad for your kidneys - I learned that when my mom was doing the Atkins diet with a doctor guidance and he made her do exams to make sure her kidneys were alright.
    But I'm not sure if the same goes for lean protein. Either way too much of one thing is never as good as eating varied. Also, for working out fruits are also good, and sweet potato as well. You don't have to only eat protein all the time.

20. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on the class of protein you are eating too much. There is the First Class protein which is animal protein and Second Class protein which comprises of plant protein. If you are taking first class protein in excess then that may not be good for your health as you may be building excess of fat and cholesterol in your body.