Can I change from Unleaded to Premium?

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by lindbergh • Jan 16, 2015.

1. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hey there... My Toyota Vios runs on Unleaded gasoline. However, the cost of premium gasoline and Unleaded gasoline does not vary very much. Thus I want to change from unleaded to premium. They say that premium gasoline provides a much better performance for a vehicle as compared to unleaded. What should I do in order to change from unleaded to Premium?

2. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    No you should stick to the fuel type what your car's engine system was designed to run on. Changing it will possibly destroy your engine or make it run very sluggish because premium gas require different combustion setup to burn the fuel properly. I don't know where you got the fancy idea to upgrade your fuel type from, but I guaranteed you the car makers know exactly what kind of fuel is best for your car, after all they are the experts.

3. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with Val about not just changing the engine fuel, unless you check the specs for your specific vehicle and see which fuel it is designed to run best with.
    It used to be that we had high-powered engines on most vehicles, and they were designed to run on premium gas, so they didn't do as well unless you actually used premium.
    Then, gas prices just kept skyroceting, and more and more people stopped using the more expensive fuel, and this is where the idea formed that your car would run better with premium, because, then it would do exactly that. It was designed for premium.
    Now, we have automobiles that are designed to run on basic unleaded fuel; and they actually run better when you use it.
    I have a Ford Taurus, and thought it would do better with premium; but when I read about the fuel requirements, even that car was designed to run on regular gas.