Can money buy love?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by True2marie • Aug 25, 2014.

1. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    I used to think money couldn't buy love, but now I have changed my mind. For the very rich, money can be the bait to get someone way out of their league. For example, Hugh Hefner always has a young 20-something on his arm. On the creepers scale, to me, he's a 10. Yet, what he offers them in exchange seems to solidify their loyalty and at times love.

What do you think? :confused:

2. wvboarder

wvboarderMember

Threads:
    I don't think it can buy love but it can definitely buy happiness. At least for while. I like to think Hugh was just that smooth with the ladies that he got all of those girls to marry him because of his great mind. lol I'm torn on it. I guess money couldn't hurt on the way to love.

3. Kek

KekActive Member

Threads:
    Perhaps money does buy love for some people, but that wouldn't cut if for me if I was a millionaire. Even though there would be girls way out of my league surrounding me all the time, hitting on me, it would be hard for me to fall in love with any of them. I either wouldn't be certain they are "fo real" or guilty that I bought the affection of a cute girl. What I would try to do is just hang out at the bar, trying to pick up a girl. I wouldn't tell her that I have a lot of money until we were dating. So I would be sure she didn't choose me for the money.

4. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree that it can buy happiness but not love. It helps if the SO has money but if the love comes from how much money they have then the love they have is fake.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Money certainly can buy you love by proxy. Someone can fall in love with your money and probably as they get to know you better, they might start liking and eventually end up falling in love with you. I believe that people just don't fall in love. Love sprouts when you meet someone then grows the more you get to know someone.

So if money can be the bait to get someone draw closer so they can know you better then I'd say, money can, certainly, buy you love.

6. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Money might not be able to buy you love ,but it can buy you security, comfort, the freedom to choose how you spend your time which are the makings of a pretty good life.
    In the course of traveling, you might meet a nice person who doesn't know how much money you have and you might fall in love. Money can't buy you love, but it'll pay for the search.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Of course it can, that's why some of my countrymen specifically look for rich foreigners to date online so that they can get out of poverty. It's not sincere love, but it's still "love", technically. I also have some friends who look at a guy's job or income first before they date him, so I guess as long as there are gold-diggers, people who are willing to pay for attention and affection have a market catered for them.

8. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Money can buy you companionship and friends but not love. That may come later, but most people know that. I had a circle of girlfriends who wee on the arms of millionaires. They knew they did not love them, but they were companions for dinner, parties and to go on holiday with. All parties know that, then sometimes they do fall in love. Most get pregnant and get an apartment, car and an allowance!

9. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think that money can buy love, but it can definitely improve life circumstances, and love might be able to grow from or after that. I always used to say that money isn't all that important as long as there is a place to live and enough food, but I have changed my mind. Money has opened many doors for me and improved my life dramatically, as I was able to support others as well.

10. kitchencatlover

kitchencatloverMember

Threads:
    There's a huge difference in companionship and love. It can buy company for sure but it can never ever buy true love in my opinion. This always makes me think of the Beatles every time I read it. lol

11. Denis Hard

Threads:
    I agree. Since most people go for looks someone who doesn't look good but has the Benjamins will probably lure a gold-digger who doesn't expect much from him. But if below the surface he's a good man, then love could grow out of that symbiotic relationship.

Remember the story of Jane Eyre? Falling in love with her boss? Something like that can happen in real life. A rich, ugly guy can hire a cute secretary and the two eventually fall in love. Without the money would such a person get loved so easily?

12. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah sort of I guess. I mean, let's be honest here would you marry and love a guy that is financially unstable? You have to think of your future. You will have kids and a family sometime and I think you won't be happy unless you marry someone who has some money to begin with.

Love and logic goes hand in hand. Sometimes being the rich guy can get you love. Sometimes. Maybe it's more like this, money can't buy love but it can get you somewhere close.

13. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    No, it can't buy love. If you marry for money, that's likely all you'll get out of your marriage. People aren't like that, the money issue will always be a barrier to your relationship until you resolve that, if you take the time and effort to resolve it.

14. Denis Hard

Threads:
    It depends on how you look at it. Don't look at it from the recipients perspective. What of taking a look at it from the person who has the money badly needs to be loved and does whatever it takes to get even a semblance of love?

Money can get you in the right places where you'll find love even if you don't have to buy it outright. If you can't find what you're looking for at home, you could go abroad hunting for love.

15. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    This is actually a tricky one! I see both perspectives, but in different ways than might be commonly viewed. But at the root of it all, is the condition of the heart of both the person who feels he/she can use money to lure people into loving them, and also the conscience and heart condition of the person who not only "falls victim" to this "trap", but who tends to actually go out seeking such a person who, they hope, will turn out to be their ultimate benefactor.
    I believe that love ought to be genuine and never forced, so I do not believe that true love can be achieved when it is put together under a basis of one or both parties being "in it" solely to accumulate money.
    Now, I am in no way by saying this, implying that a couple, the members of whom both share the desire not only to live together as one, but to strive toward acquiring and maintaining jobs that will make them both affluent, is necessarily a "gold-digging institution".
    What I AM saying is that when money is the SOLE motivation behind love, then it is either that one party is seeking to deceive the other, while the other is being so deceived, or that they are both being blinded by a material possession that could easily be destroyed by flood or fire.

But that's my two cents!

16. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    No. Money can't definitely buy love. However, I always believe that even though it can't, money is still a big factor in a relationship. You need to buy basic necessities. So, if you are thinking long-term, you should not only follow your heart, you should also follow your head.

17. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Yes and no. I mean it depends on your definition of love really. Someone can pay a nurse to take care of somebody which is a form of love of some sorts but if you're talking about eroticism you can pay for a prostitute to do that for you. Love doesn't really have a single definition but if you're referring to being in love like in a romantic way then no.

18. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I agree that Hugh for sure would not have had those 20-something women all over him at 70 and 80 something if he hadn't been rolling in the doe. I mean really. I think for many people who would have trouble other wise getting dates and mates I think having money makes it waaaaayyy easier. But does it really buy love? Or companionship? If someone is with you just for your money, they don't really love you, they love your money. And that can be a very fickle kind of love, because once its gone, they probably will be too.

19. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    Money can only cover up insecurities and create false relationships when you use money to influence people of to cover up your lack of self confidence. I agree that money can fix a lot of problems, but can't make you happier if you lack humanity and have failed to maintain healthy relationships. You can always but some friends, but they will only use you which will often lead to a fallout. The same goes for attracting the opposite sex. Your mate will only end up wanting only your money if the love is not genuine. Lastly, I would love to have a mass of loot, but I would never use it as a tool.

20. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    My love certainly couldn't be bought by love. However, when you look at some famous and rich people who are not particularly attractive, and then you see their VERY attractive spouses, it makes you wonder if they have a really great personality or if it does all come down to money.