Can Short Girls Wear Maxi Dresses?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Sam Tarly • Jul 5, 2014.

1. Sam Tarly

Sam TarlyMember

Threads:
    Everywhere I look this summer, I see girls in maxi dresses, and I don't blame them! Maxis are casual, stylish, comfortable and can be worn just about anywhere, and seeing all the great styles I can't help but want to join the bandwagon, but I have one issue: I'm really not sure if they would look good on me. I'm about 5'3, and I weigh 103lbs, I feel like if I wore a maxi, I would just drown in all that Fabric and look like I'm wearing an ill fitted sack. Do you guys have any advice on the issue? Should short girls wear maxis or should they just stay away from them?

2. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    But have you tried one before? Who knows it might even look good on you. Just be careful with the print, design and color as this will make or break your look. They look good on kids (kiddie version of course:D) so I don't see any reason why it won't look good on you. Just try several designs and colors and see first how it will look on you.

3. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I think Maxi dresses would look great on short girls if they wore them like a dress. If you don't want to 'tube top' it, you could wear a tank top underneath so that it would give the appearance of having straps. The beauty of a Maxi dress is that it is intended to be diverse and so I think this play on how to wear it would be in harmony with the makers goal. The only think about the thin cotton is that it seems to show every curve and so ones figure might be a factor when it comes to if it would look good or not.

4. dustysmommy2013

dustysmommy2013Active Member

Threads:
    I think a short girl should be able to wear whatever she wants. :) I recommend trying on something before you buy it but that goes for anyone, no matter their height. If you try it on, like it, and you're comfortable in it...then by all means wear it!

5. CraftsAndLooms

CraftsAndLoomsMember

Threads:
    Basically, if it looks good on you and if you are comfortable in it, then you can use it irrespective of your height.

6. Livvy

LivvyActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not exactly as short as you I must admit, but I've never had any problem wearing maxi dresses, nor known any girl who was. You just need to find one that fits you, which admittedly can be a little tricky. You could always look into having one modified for yourself personally? Or you could always look into shops which are specifically for smaller women. I know they're out there, but for the life of me I can't remember the name of this great one I know...

7. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    Maxi dresses are so cute. They have so many different cuts, designs, and fabrics. Some are nicer than others, but the best part is they are versatile. You can dress them up, dress them down, wear them too the beach. Plus, they're fairly cheap depending where you buy them. But I have the same problem I am short.

But I've actually seen short women wear them and they are cute. However, a few suggestions so you don't look like you're just wearing a long, pretty, sack. If it is too long, have it hemmed. You can usually find a size that will fit you well in the curves, if not have it taken in. if that is too pricey, wear a cute belt.

8. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    Definitely try one on, and maybe go for a maxi that is slightly form fitting (I have seen these out there). I definitely wouldn't let your height be a roadblock for wearing this awesome style. Maybe check petites?

9. Bright7

Bright7Active Member

Threads:
    Sure we can! Check the petites section for cute maxi dresses. You can also check the juniors section. I have found some nice maxi dresses that don't look like they come from the juniors section. When shopping in the juniors section, I tend to stick with solid colors and avoid all the cutesy, teenage prints. You can always raise the hem if the dress is too long.

10. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    I'm short (5'2) and I wear maxi dresses. Usually I have to hem them because they are made for much taller women. But they look fine and not out of proportion. Although I'm not thin like you, I'm a size 18-24 depending on the brand. I think the tricky part is sometimes the top looks too low, like if it's empire waist but sits on my natural waist instead. You have to try different styles to see which top fits you better.

11. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Yes! One key is to make sure you get one that actually fits. Don't have one that drags the floor and makes it obvious that it doesn't fit you. Get one tailored even if you have to.

Also, use a belt to create instant shape if you're concerned about drowning in the fabric.

12. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    Short girls can wear maxi dresses as long as the ones they pick flatter their body type. I am not sure where the idea came from that they can't. I see plenty of females 5'2 that look great in long dresses.

Nicole Ritchie looks great in maxi dresses.
    [​IMG]

13. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    Actually I have already bought one maxi dress last year. However, I was not able to wear it because I was so conscious as to what other people might say. I am really into dressy things, but something in that maxi dress caught my interest. Maybe I'll try to wear it this summer. It's just takes guts and a lot of courage, lol!

14. Brenda Barnousky

Brenda BarnouskyActive Member

Threads:
    I've heard guys say that there's nothing more attractive than a maxi dress and a pair of flat strappy sandals. I agree! I am very short and I wear them a lot in Spring and Summer. I just love the way they feel, and the way they look on me. I don't worry so much what other people think about my clothes, as long as I feel good in them.

15. wahmee

wahmeeMember

Threads:
    Of course you can wear them. I'm tall and I love them. They look so elegant and beautiful. All of my friends are tall apart from one. What she does is she pairs them with some awesome and cute wedges. They look so good and casual give her the height she needs and don't hurt her feet. They really are an amazing way to wear maxis

16. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I am short and I wear them. I just have to hem it up a little if it is too long for me. I don't think your height is going to be a problem, women used to wear full length dresses all the time regardless of their height. I just hate that they don't call them "long" or "full length" the term chosen just has all kinds of associations that would make me not want to wear the garment.

17. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I'm petite as well. My height is only 5'1, and I have never worn a maxi dress before. I think it would look like a long gown of printed sack on me. :D I just always go for knee-length/short dresses.

18. wahmee

wahmeeMember

Threads:

Aww no it won't you just have to give yourself a bit of height before you put it on. Everyone including me, is always scared before trying something this is out of that comfort zone that we feel oh so comfortable in. Accessorize well, wear some wedges and I promise it will look better on you than it does on anyone else.

19. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    But I'm also not into wearing wedges or high heels, I always trip on them. :( I always go for flat shoes. They are much comfortable.

Anyway, thank you for lifting my spirits up. :)

20. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    Well I am short and as a result I don't want to wear maxi dress I am afraid to trip over them. I personally don't believe heels goes with maxi-dress, it looks much better with flats so I am at a disadvantage of wearing maxi dress.