Can smartglasses replace smartphones?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Peninha • May 21, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I know that smartglasses are still giving it's first steps, but looking at them closely makes me wonder, can they replace smartphones? Because I don't see any function in a smartphone that a smartglass does not have.

2. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    No, I don't think they ever will. Why? First of all because not all people like to wear glasses. All of us need to have a phone these days but the glasses are completely optional. Next on the list of reasons is the look. I find smartglasess too bulky and sci-fi looking - a real departure from the original design of glasses. And finally, with glasses you don't have the same level of interaction smartphones have. Btw, what's the price of smartglasses, I imagine they're not that cheap?

3. ghostwheel

ghostwheelMember

Threads:
    Still early days for this kind of technology but I like following this sort of thing as I see augmentative reality evolving in the coming future and smart glasses is just a precursor to that. Eventually technology will lead up to more discreet wearable tech and even perhaps implants.

So, while I don't think smart glasses that we see today will replace smart phones, I can see a more evolved product further down the road replacing smartphones.

4. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I think nothing can replace smartphones or any gadgets. A gadget can only make another gadget obsolete but not replace it. And for the smarglasses and smartphones case, it simply can't happen for now. And I don't see that it will happen eventually, because smartphones have a very unique capability to handle all the necessary stuff one considers. Its portability and size are convenient enough to mange all them, but smartglesses are not like that. It's merely a gadget designed to complement smartphones or any smart gadget or computing device.

5. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You make a good point about no everyone wanting to wear glasses, but at the same time who would have told us that we would have to carry a thing around that we call smartphone? Smart-glass companies are making partnerships with Ray-Ban and other brands to make them look stylish, as for the price yes, way too expensive for now, but I am expecting that in one year or two things do change.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    At this point, I don't think so, but maybe in the future it will? Who knows right? And I agree that it's a hassle to wear glasses. I happen to wear one, and I really wouldn't want something "bulky" on my face! Plus, even if they can replace or be even better than smartphones, I'm sure that it will be expensive, so most people wouldn't be buying it and it wouldn't be a hit.

7. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wear glasses at work only because it damages my eyes to be too many hours in front of the computer, so it will be no problem wearing a pair of glasses replacing the computer... :) I don't think that smartglasses are more bulkier than regular glasses, I think it will be pretty much the same, but sure, it will take time for us to adjust, it's just a too big change to happen over night.

8. That'sDevo

That'sDevoActive Member

Threads:
    Smart glasses? I guess it could work out and become a thing, just like iphones did. Years ago I never would have assumed iphones would have become the next "thing" let alone replace desktop computers.

9. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think you might be confusing iPhones and smartphones, but yes, it is pretty much the same logic. We have shifted from 4 million in 1989 to near 5 billion currently, so I think the same can happen with smartglasses. Will it take 20 years as well? I really don't know, but the potential and the functions are there, that is for sure.

10. maxparker0

maxparker0Member

Threads:
    I do not think smartglasses will replace smartphones anytime soon, or ever. Personally, I do not like to wear glasses and I know there are a lot of other people like me who dont too. Also, I dont think people would find them comfortable enough to use them as smartphones.

11. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Maybe in several years? Smartglasses right now are pretty much only a concept... the are limiter, as are smartwatches. I actually think smartwatches could be a better substitute for smartphones, but again, this in many many years. It's something that would need to launch and get perfected several times before they get as popular and necessary as smartphones I think.

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't think it will replace smartphones because smartphones can be easily hidden are a lot less obtrusive whereas smartphones are more easily kept and taken out as you need it. Also, I think wearing glasses for browsing is a bit too much of a commitment for the common person, and as far as typing and searching, i think the traditional way will always be more practical because having to talk to your glasses while you are wearing them seems kind of ridiculous to me - no offense to smartglass owners.

13. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What do you mean with typing and searching Ripley? Talking to the glasses will be something really common, like speaking to our phone with no hands, the exact same thing. Also, the Glass brings huge advantages, just imagine for example an immediate translation service in your head, or receiving directions, we will never be lost again. :)

14. Annabell

AnnabellActive Member

Threads:
    Hmm...not sure really. I can see why they'll be nice, sure. But think about this; would you want to be talking out loud to your smart glasses every time you want to phone someone, or search for something? That'll be a bit awkward, don't you think?

"Smart glasses, go to Google. Search for that one person from that one film, with that embaressing thing that happens in it"

15. 7zer0z

7zer0zBanned

Threads:
    What exactly are smartglasses? I've never heard of those before. Are you talking about devices like Google glass? If that's what you're talking about then no, I can't seem them ever taking over smartphones. They look pretty dorky IMO.

16. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yep, Google Glass is a smartglass, exactly. If you look closely you can see that Google has partnerships with Ray-Ban and Oakley for example, so forget about the dorky part. ;) As for the smartglasses themselves I think they will be hard to accept because it's a huge change and the prices are high, but I easily imagine that in 10 years most people will be wearing them.