Can You Go A Year Without Buying New Clothes?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Denis Hard • Jan 22, 2016.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You don't know if it's possible unless you try it, right?

Most people always have a specific time of the year when they buy new clothes whether they need them or not. If you have "enough" clothes already and none of them are worn out, do you really need to buy any more new clothes? So it is possible to go a year or longer without buying new clothes?

Ever tried this?

2. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, i've never gone a whole year without buying new clothes, and it's not something I'll be trying any time soon LOL :) I have other ways of saving money by cutting down elsewhere. I think we all have things that we derive pleasure from; with some people enjoying drinking, others sport, others food etc. Mine is definitely clothes. I can never have too many clothes because as I'm buying, I'm giving some away. I just like to 'stay on top of it' and really derive a lot of pleasure from buying and wearing nice clothes.

3. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes is my answer to the thread's title. However, why would I need to do that? Honestly, I buy new clothes once in a while to complement my wardrobe since I work in an office and I don't wear uniforms anymore. But if someone would dare me a bet in not buying clothes for a year, I probably would win because I have a strong will power when it comes to bets, hahahaaah. But seriously, sometimes I don't buy new clothes for the simple reason that I am busy and have no time to shop.

4. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I could! lol. Hopefully the clothes I have would last the year though, because I'd want to replace things as they go. I'm not a spendy person anymore, I don't care about fashion or trends. I mean, I like to look good, but I can do that without refreshing my wardrobe every couple of months. I could probably go a year without buying ANYthing and would actually enjoy the challenge if I had the means. Can't do that living in a city without very very very careful planning lol.

5. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I could go a year without purchasing new clothes, provided that my current clothes would last a year, but I do not think I will be doing this anytime soon either. I love purchasing new clothes and getting something fresh in my wardrobe every once in a while. Clothing is my vice in life. I would be more apt to do like a thrift store only for a year type of bet. If I had to, I think I could go a year without buying any new clothes though.

6. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I think with the wardrobe I have I could definitely go a year without buying clothes. Just think of all the money you could save. Unfortunately I love to shop and this would be very hard for me. Some weeks I have to tell myself I'm not going to Marshall's or Winners because I know I'll end up buying something. It's something I don't really need but I am a clothes horse. Every season I give away clothes I don't wear. I'm trying to be smarter about my purchases and think if the piece will last longer than one or two years.

7. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    Oh yes! I usually go years before I buy new clothes. It's sad I know. But if it doesn't have holes in it and still fits why get rid of it. Now if it looks like tattered rags of course I'll replace it. I still have some clothes from the 5th grade. Wait....are undergarments considered clothes or are we talking about like tops, bottoms, dresses? If undergarments do count than no. Sadly bras are something that get worn out when you're "blessed." Regular clothes though, yes, I can go without.

8. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh yes, I could if I absolutely had to and had no other option than to go without. For instance, if I was told not to buy a single item of clothing for a full year in order to say secure world peace, eradicate world poverty, end wars and hate, then I would go with it LOL I know I'm being silly, but it's in an attempt to drive home the message that as long as I'm not harming anyone in enjoying my love of shopping, then I will continue in the same way, providing I have the money. Shopping is a huge hobby of mine hehe

9. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Yes for sure - absolutely no problem for me - as this is one of the benefits of having a closet full of high quality mix and match clothes that can be dressed up or down to suit any occasion.

In fact as I really only ever shop for clothes when something needs replacing and the majority of my clothes are all extremely durable and usually last for many years before they even start to look the slightest bit shabby - I've actually already done this a few times - as although - most years - I generally do need to replace a few items that are beginning to show signs of wear at the end of each season - I do occasionally have years when I don't need to replace anything at all and therefore don't need to buy anything.

10. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Can I go a year without buying new clothes? Lol. I have done. In fact, I think that I have gone a lot longer than an entire year without having bought any new clothes. Two years or more perhaps lol. There have been years where I have not had much money, and so buying new clothes was the very last thing on my mind. I made do with the clothes that I already had though. It was not difficult to go that long without buying new clothes.

11. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I could go for a year and longer without buying any clothes for myself. I would make up for it by buying for someone else in the family so I wouldn't get anxious about not shopping for clothes at all. :D

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think I have done that already, but that was many years ago, when I haven't discovered online shopping. But this year I do not have any intent so far to buy new clothes, so I think I just might be able to do just that.

13. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:Because budget is tight I absolutely go more than a year without buying new clothes and have been doing that for over a decade. I needed new pants for my cleaning days so began to window shop and found at Walmart 3.68, I believe was the price for short pants! After I tried it on and it fit nicely, I bought it. It's been over 3 years since I bought clothes when I bought my short pants last year. I patch clothes and socks and look for bargain bins for most things and am so glad there's a Walmart and Walgreens at Hawaii.

14. Summertime

SummertimeNew Member

Threads:
    I usually buy an array of new clothes every year, but I recently stopped growing so I wont be buying new clothes out of necessity anymore, but more out of want. However, this can really hurt the wallet, so I'm basically seeing for real if I can go a year without buying new clothes XD

15. atlmom5

atlmom5Active Member

Threads:
    I could go a year without buying new clothes if my wardrobe was up to par, I've actually done it before. I'm not a person that follows trends anyways. I prefer shopping at consignment shops and thrift stores more than department stores, so it wouldn't bother me if I didn't have the "in color or whatever" for the season.

16. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I could go a year without buying new clothes. I almost made it through last year without buying new clothes except for an XBox One T-shirt I bought for $2 at Goodwill. Going a year without clothes shopping only works if you have several pieces that fit and are in good condition. I know some girls who could probably get by on half of what they have in their closets. One of my resolutions for the new year is to have a simple capsule wardrobe with a few pieces that go well together.

17. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I havent bought many clothes over the past few years because I haven't had the available cash,,,but I don't think I could go a year without buying clothes. I really need some shorts for the summer time. However, since I am planning on losing weight I might find some things in my drawers I have grown out of...Not sure...but I definitely have to buy some shorts for the summer.

18. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I probably can, but it would be a miserable year for me! It would probably require me to buy a lot of clothes in advance and leave some unused for those moments I really feel like wearing something new! We ladies usually don't buy out of necessity, but out of want and compulsion. So not buying any clothes for one year would make me cranky and anxious. I wouldn't like it.